PDA

View Full Version : DVC Discounts

captain j
11-13-2011, 12:58 PM
We just returned from OKW. I've noticed on this trip, many of the member discounts we used to get no longer apply. I hate it when I purchase something like DVC only to have the perks slowly disappear.

DonLefNY
11-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I've rarely used DVC discounts as most of the time AP discounts are the same or better.

Disney4us2
11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
The only discount that I used was at the Grand Floridian at White Basin. I was able to get 15% off. The AP only gives 10%off. I will be using the DVC discount to renew my AP's.

captain j
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I've rarely used DVC discounts as most of the time AP discounts are the same or better.

That's fine if you have an AP. Since we only get to WDW once a year, an AP doesn't work for us. Also the discounts were talked about as a perk when we bought into DVC. Now, most of the discounts have gone by the wayside. What would Disney do if I decided to pay less each year for my annual dues?

DizneyRox
11-13-2011, 04:58 PM
What would Disney do if I decided to pay less each year for my annual dues?
You would be unable to use your points, eventually finding your way into foreclosure.

GAN
11-13-2011, 05:00 PM
You've heard of the "Less is More" theory .... it seems Disney has adopted the model the last few years. They just had a great 3rd quarter, obviously that involves a lot of the groups but the Parks had good results -as long as guests keep paying, they will continue to take away until they see a decline.

captain j
11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
You would be unable to use your points, eventually finding your way into foreclosure.
It was a rhetorical question.

You've heard of the "Less is More" theory .... it seems Disney has adopted the model the last few years. They just had a great 3rd quarter, obviously that involves a lot of the groups but the Parks had good results -as long as guests keep paying, they will continue to take away until they see a decline.
We all know people will continue to pay big money to go to Disney. There may be some ups and downs but for the most part, Disney is making money, big money.
My problem is the various discounts were used as a selling point for DVC membership. Now that perk has been taken away. What's next to be taken away?

mdhiggin
11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Picabu at the Dolphin gave a 20 percent discount. Yacht clubs store doubled two 10 percent discounts from AP and Disney Visa, so again another 20 percent off. I just ask everywhere I go to see what is applicable. This was today, by the way.

DizneyRox
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
It was a rhetorical question.
I know, but I still one worth answering. Which leads to our next question, which I'll be more blunt...

What's next to be taken away?
Disney doesn't care, all they legally have to provide is your point allocation each and every year for the remainder of your contract. As you eluded to, they already have your money, they WILL be getting maintenance fees regardless. Even if you sell it, it goes to someone else who will be paying those dues. The only way out is if you sell it at a ridiculously low amount and Disney buys it back, but as evidenced by recent posts, they aren't even entertaining that thought.

It's a cash cow and they will maintain that as long as they possibly can. They don't have to offer discounts, unless like you said, they use them to lure people in. And maybe that is their MO. Me, I use the AP perk (then get TiW), that's about it. If that goes, we'll go to the parks less; less than we do now. It's been over a year now since I've been to WDW or any Disney park for that matter). Used to go 3-4 times a year.

LynneM
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes, but you didn't purchase the perks. If you take a look at your contract, you'll find that they very explicitly state that perks are NOT part of your vacation club ownership. If I remember correctly, there's a whole page or more devoted to that, in big, boldface type.

You bought the right to stay at your home resort, subject to availability. Anything and everything else is subject to change.

Most perks do not come from DVC, they come from other divisions of the DIsney company (such as the AP discount from DIsney parks), or third parties (restaurants, etc). The givers of those discounts, like any business that gives discounts, offers them to drive business to their establishments. They're not a thank-you present. They're an enticement to spend more money.

I dunno, being mad at DVC because a discount went away is like being mad at the developer who sold you your condo because the local supermarket
used to send you coupons and they don't anymore. :confused:

diz_girl
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
There are good discounts that are still around. During our stay last month, we got 10% off breakfast at The Wave (we ate there three times) and 10% off dinner at Via Napoli (just once) for our group of four adults and one four-year old (no charge for the baby). That saved us $10-$15 off our bill each time.