PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS/DS Lite?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Nintendo DS and DS lite? It apprears that the Lite is being phased out? Do all the Nintendo hand helds use the same game cartridges?

Disney4us2
11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
We have several DS's. The DS lite has a slot for the original game boy cartridges. Last year I got DD a DSi which can take pictures, internet etc.

I am getting her another DS for Christmas. This one is the 3DS. This plays games in 3D without the use of glasses.

I think the big difference between the DS and DS Lite is the size of the game unit. If I were choosing between those, I would go with the DS lite.

frozman
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Basically they were released in this order:
DS
DS Lite (as above poster said, a smaller version of the above)
DSi (I know this has a camera built in, probably several other features as well)
DSi XL (a larger version of the DSi)
3DS, the current version which can play select games in 3D without glasses

All models listed above take DS cartridges. The DS and I believe DS lite take Game Boy Advance (but not Game Boy or Game Boy Color) cartridges in a seperate slot. The new games that are released specifically for 3DS can only be played on 3DS systems.

DisneyDog
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
We recently got DS9 the 3DS. It will play games from his older DS. They dramatically dropped the price over the summer. I would go for the 3DS if you are shopping for one.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone. The co-worker I was asking on behalf of decided to go with the Xbox as a joint gift for the grand daughter and grand son. I'm hoping I directed her to the right one of those because it said it had the Kinect with it also.