PDA

View Full Version : This was a new one for me - iPads in the parks

Melanie
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
So, like I said, totally new one for me. Carol, Beth (MNNHFLTX), Donna (chipndalegal) and I were at MNSSHP a few weeks ago. We were in our spots for the parade in Frontierland when we look down the parade route prior to the Headless Horseman coming through and see a woman sticking out her iPad out over the rope and filming right in our viewing path. What? Seriously? :confused:

I am sure the video was totally awesome, but how can you not get that filming with an iPad would be annoying to those around you? I was shocked when a CM asked someone right beside us to make sure her external light on her camera was turned off, but said nothing to the iPad lady.

So, what are you thoughts on this? Would it annoy you?

PopPhan
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Definitely would be a major annoyance. I feel bad when I use my phone camera to film things in the parks because of the viewscreen (4.5" - but I try to cover it in my palm when filming)....I can only imagine what a 10" screen would look like!

faline
11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
It would certainly annoy me. I see more and more folks carrying around i-pads with them wherever they go which seems a little strange to me. Everyone was thrilled when cell phones got smaller and more compact and now folks are moving to carting around these large tablets!!

laprana
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
It definitely would annoy me and in fact, it did on my most recent trip in October. We were watching Wishes in front of the castle when two middle-aged men standing in front of us both pulled out their iPads from the bags they were carrying, held them up above their heads, and filmed the entire show. It not only blocked some of our view, but the screens on the iPads were somewhat distracting! :mad: They were dressed in slacks and dress shirts and looked like they were there for a conference or something, so I assumed that was why they had iPads with them. But maybe this is a new trend??

Stu29573
11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
This is slightly off topic, but here goes:
I personally feel that all of the new technology brought to the park by guests is a modern version of what happened to Disneyland in the first place. Right after it was built, businesses sprang up "outside the berm" that rather killed the magic. Walt Disney was very concerned about keeping the "real world" OUT of the park experience, so he bought thousands of acres in Florida so he could control what guests would experience. It was even hard to find a newspaper! Now....well... short of some sort of jamming device, I guess we just have to put up with it. As far as the ipad craze goes, I'm hoping it will fade soon.

Aurora
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I've seen it at Disney, at my kids' school performances, at athletic events. People are rude. They don't stop being rude just because their lighted recording device is larger; instead, they are inconsiderate to even more people in their vicinity.

Get ready, folks. You're going to see this more and more.

11-09-2011, 10:20 AM
We are seeing more and more ipads every day. Doesn't seem to be as many right now as this summer though, probably more kids in the parks then and more adults right now.

Annoying, yes, can we do anything about them, no. Trying to manage them, not possible. Would be on par with trying to manage people with tripods and the hundreds of (unoccupied) strollers that take up viewing prime space inside the rope areas.

I know what you mean about them holding them up above their heads for video. We do get those complaints but the most complaints seem to be about people that don't "pull down" their balloons so the people behind them can see. (such is the trials and tribulations for Parade Audience Control CM's)

Victor Kelly
11-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Such is technology and people. Really you come hundreds or even thousands of miles to WDW and you have to have the cell phones and I pads out all the time? Seriously, if you are that bored go somewhere else.

As for video and pictures, buy a regular camera for each purpose. You will get better quality and nowadays, both combines are smaller than an idiotpad.

SandmanGStefani24
11-09-2011, 12:03 PM
this would definately annoy me!
I had someone record almost all of POTC while I was next to them. The huge extremely bright view screen pretty much ruined the experience. I hate how everyone ignores the videotape/flash photography rules on dark rides. Is it too much to ask for a little consideration of other guests?

azcavalier
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Proud iPad 2 owner here. Actually, mine came from my work, but I gave one to my wife this past spring. We both love our iPads.

With that said, I would never bring one into the park with me. Why? What do I need it for? I'm there for the park! Rides! Attractions! Pin Trading! Food! Who needs an iPad for those things? If I want to video something, i'd use my smartphone (which has a better camera anyway). And i'm not going to want to carry it with me on rides, and i'm certainly not going to leave it in a backpack on the back of a stroller...

I actually have never tried to video anything with my iPad, and have never seen anyone else try it, either, other than my kids goofing around in the house. It's too bulky and cumbersome. Though, I imagine, it's much easier to edit the video on an iPad than a smaller screen like a smartphone (iPhone). But that's the only reason I can see to do it.

SBETigg
11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I love my iPad, but carrying it around the park? No thank you. Also, the camera and filming quality of the iPad 2 (I have the first version, no cam) are not great, from what I've heard. Plus, yes, even if I were to take that into a park (which won't happen, I like to carry less not more) I would never even think about blocking other people's view or holding it up to film in a crowd. That's a bit much. But then, I get cranky when people use their phones in dark places so...

meldan98
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
On my most recent trip to Disneyland, I saw several different families using their iPads during their visit. One dad was using it as a park map, another dad was using it to either play games or watch movies (while chaos whirled around him and the mom was frantic and giving dad the evil eye) and another dad was using it as a camera. I did see one mom using it to keep the kids entertained while waiting for a parade. Once the parade started, the mom turned it off and put it away.

I personally feel, it is too expensive to bring to a park for fear of breaking it.

ThanxForNoticin
11-09-2011, 01:04 PM
The truth is, this is an old issue that has very little to do with the iPad specifically. You can say the same thing about kids on parent's shoulders, older film cameras, older/bigger video cameras, newer/smaller video cameras, and even cell phones. It's really a matter of common courtesy while at the parks. If people are at the parade or fireworks, and want to record, then they need to find a way to do it without blocking the view of those behind them. But courtesy and common sense are required at times!

crltkcagle
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
This is why when my video camera broke three days before our last trip I searched high and low for a replacement exactly like it. I have a sony that you can close the little lcd screen and look through the viewfinder to video. It also has night shot plus with internal lighting so I can video dark rides/shows without interrupting everyone around me. It ***** to watch it through that little hole but its the only way to get a video without disturbing others. I wish other park goers would return the favor sometimes!

JasonH
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
It's really a matter of common courtesy while at the parks. If people are at the parade or fireworks, and want to record, then they need to find a way to do it without blocking the view of those behind them. But courtesy and common sense are required at times!

Totally agree! I've been trying to get that into my brother's head the last few times we were down at the world and his constant use of flash on the dark rides. Granted, I am guilty of that as well, but not the past few times. You'd be amazed at the pics you can get without the flash and still be just as good. It's all about respecting those around you and keeping the magic goin for not only them, but even yourself! Same rules apply for the movie cams and now the iPads. Sure, everyone wants that all-time great shot or view, but please be considerate of those around you at the same time b/c they want that all-time great shot/view too. And having an iPad to take the video, sorry, that's too much. Use a regular video cam, much smaller and less obstructive for those around you. :)

azcavalier
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Use a regular video cam, much smaller and less obstructive for those around you. :)

And much better quality, too.

Flashes on dark rides and parades drive me *nuts*. Not just because of the brief illumination, but because most people don't understand the distance limitations of the built-in flashes with their point 'n' shoot cameras. They have a maximum range of 8-10 feet. So, for parades, they're fairly useless, as well as annoying. You need a dedicated flash to get that kind of illumination, and those suckers are big. Who wants to lug those things around all day?

Tigerinvestigator
11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Probably would annoy me...BUT....Disney has fed the "bring your ipad/iphone/whatever device" craze by offering all sorts of reasons to bring it. I am years behind today's technology but just got my first smartphone and have been amazed at all of the disney apps. You can now make dining reservations, find ride wait times, show times, crowd levels and a million other things while in the parks. Disney wants that and is feeding it so it is not going to go away. Actually it almost seems as if you are behind everyone else as far as making dining reservations etc if you don't have one. I don't like that at all but I am afraid that is the way it is going to be. I remember how much I loved to use the touch screens at Epcot and then speak with a representative to make dining reservations...that was cool! Now it can be done from a device I hold in my hand.....sorry to ramble!:thumbsup:

faline
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
I remember how much I loved to use the touch screens at Epcot and then speak with a representative to make dining reservations...that was cool!

And that was in the day when you could make your dining plans that same day and pretty much be guaranteed you'd be able to get a reservation at whichever restaurant you chose! I loved those screens as well! It was always a family discussion - "Where do you want to eat today?" Now those discussions need to happen six months in advance at home!

garymacd
11-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I never thought of doing this. First I would never want to be that rude. Second, why would I want to carry such a great big and expensive piece of equipment around with me? What if it gets dropped and breaks? What if I lose it?

I thought I only had to worry about the Borgs with ear implants walking around the parks. Now I have this to look forward to in December.

Great

Victor Kelly
11-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Just imagine what would happen if by some reason a solar flare knocks out most of the fragile technology we all use. Many people would go flat out nuts. Others could care less (I am one of these). The simple days are long gone. I like the techno gadgets as much as the next person, but I draw a line when I go to a park, be it Disney or Hershey or wherever. Video camera sure, on the day I want to tape stuff. Regular instamatic digital, always, but it is small. My pro units for photo and video? Too expensive and heavy to carry.

My wife went bonkers when we lost power at home last year. I have plenty of books to keep me occupied. She bought magazines and finished them in a few hours. She is a techno child, where I am not.

Point being? You can do fine without all the techno gadgets if you really want to.

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Someone was recording Illuminations next to us on our trip in october. I totally forgot to mention it in my review. But, sure enough, as soon as the lights dimmed and the music began, here this woman goes and stretches her arms as high as she can for the whole show. This was one of the last minute people trying to shove their way in. Well, my BFF's husband was right behind her and started to take pictures over her head. haahaa!!! his camera was at the top of her screen and the cord was in the picture! :D

If she only spoke english (or one of the other 2 languages we spoke) we would have had some words. :mad:

Carol
11-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Proud iPad 2 owner here. All 4 of us all own iPads, love them, and brought them with us on the trip.

However, we left them in the villa and used a camera or iPhone for video/photos. The point Mel was making was the size of the device intruding on the line of sight for the parade. The person videoed the entire parade. :crazy:

Very rude.

MNNHFLTX
11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
You know how feel about this, Mel. Here is the picture I took of the moment:

iPad woman (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2758296710032603804ZuitfU?vhost=travel)

What got me was that she was at the rope in the front of the crowd and yet still felt that she had to hold the iPad out there to videotape. She could have just as easily held it closer to her body and filmed. :shake:

As Carol said, all four of us on the trip own iPads and love them. But I can't imagine using it as my go-to video camera.

Mickey'sGirl
11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
The person videoed the entire parade. :crazy:.You missed your chance at some voice-over work!!! A long monotonous narration would be the perfect addition to that video, wouldn't it?

Buttercup
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh YES. Totally a good opportunity to slip in comments that they'll only hear at home later... something like "Geez, what's with the woman and her iPad right here? Doesn't she know the video she's making is annoying everyone around her?!?!" ;) Just kidding!

In my experience, people fall into 2 categories: those that do things like this because they a.) know what they're doing is kind-of rude but don't care what anyone else thinks, or b.) they just don't realize what they're doing is rude or disruptive to others.
I like to hope that the vast majority of people are in the latter category; they just didn't realize they were disturbing others, and a simple, polite "Could you hold your iPad down a little bit?" would do the trick.
But if they happen to be the evil rude kind of people, then yeah, those people definitely deserve a long monotonous commentary on their video at home! :secret:

Goes4FastPass
11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
No, just No, heck, No for Pete's sake, no. I mean really no. Put the darn thing down no, attention security there's a guest quarrel going on in the middle of Main Street no.

PS: To all you camcorder totin' parents who believe your production is more important than my grandchild seeing the parade: Kids learn manners in kindergarten. Grow a brain, Bew considerate.

LVT
11-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I learned to use other peoples camera LCD screens this year. I am short, but at the Star Wars HOOPLA people stood and held these over their head. I couldn't see the stage, but I had numerous small screen versions to watch, so all was not lost.

azcavalier
11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
All 4 of us all own iPads, love them, and brought them with us on the trip.

However, we left them in the villa and used a camera or iPhone for video/photos. The point Mel was making was the size of the device intruding on the line of sight for the parade. The person videoed the entire parade. :crazy:

Very rude.

Yep, I know what her point was. MY point was that carrying an iPad into the park (and because i'm a proud iPad owner I understand) is not a great idea. It's cumbersome, expensive, and there are much better tools for the job.

Butters
11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep, I know what her point was. MY point was that carrying an iPad into the park (and because i'm a proud iPad owner I understand) is not a great idea. It's cumbersome, expensive, and there are much better tools for the job.

I hate to disagree but we bring our iPad with us wherever we go because of our DD. she will be 18 months old when we go in Feb and I plan to bring it so she can watch her movies while we wait in lines or for our ADRs.

I don't see a need to use it as a camera though... I feel like I get better quality pics and photos from my standalone camera.

buzznwoodysmom
11-11-2011, 12:45 PM
It would bother me too. However, I don't think the fact that its an ipad is what bothers me (although it will probably bother me to see ipads all over the parks next month--put the stuff down and enjoy your family time people!).

Anyway back to the subject. I get annoyed at some point during just about any parade we watch. And I've been annoyed with some of these things for years, way before ipads were invented. Its the guests with balloons floating in everyone's view, the dad who is all the way upfront, but decides his child would have a better view on his shoulders, thus blocking the view of many behind him. There have always been guests holding their cameras or video cameras as high has their arms can reach to tape parades or fireworks. And I agree that for us and ipad is too expensive a piece of equipment to be toting around the parks, but I know many people who take cameras and video cameras that cost just as much, or more, than an ipad. Heck I saw a question on another board the other day about a mom worried about taking her $900 stroller to WDW for fear it might get stolen. We just chose to keep our more expensive items where they are safe, at home, but there are definitely people taking very expensive stuff into the parks, not just ipads.

Rude people will be rude, no matter what equipment they use, or how expensive that equipment is. Honestly the one thing that bothers me the most during a parade or other show is the dad putting his child on his shoulders, and that's a FREE one!!!!!!! As annoying as I am sure the ipad is at least you can use their screen to view the parade, lol. Balloons bobbing or a child on their parent's shoulders can completely block the view.