PDA

View Full Version : Does the time change effect you?

Disney4us2
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Tonight we set the clocks back... UGH I love daylight savings time.

I usually feel a litte off for a day or two. My dog, well she takes a little longer. Her stomach is set for a certain feeding time.
I am already dreading it getting darker earlier now.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Yep, it affects me because I appear to be the only one in my family/neighborhood/town that knows how to change the time on a watch/TV/alarm/clock/etc. I will be working on people's clocks a week from now.

Other than that I adjust quickly even though I prefer DST.

CanadianWDWFan
11-06-2011, 05:56 AM
It really doesn't bother me much. Since I work shifts, it can affect the hours I work. Good thing I was not on shift over the time change last night. The crew that was on had to work the extra hour without pay! :eyes: On the change to daylight savings, who ever is on crew works one hour less but gets paid for the entire shift. That is the day that I wouldn't mind working.

I really did enjoy the extra hour of sleep I got last night.

Off to work to relieve the guys who worked the extra hour! ;)

Kenny1113
11-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Yep! DS10's internal clock doesn't change so we are up. ;)

VWL Mom
11-06-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm with you Marci, I dread it getting dark so early. On the other hand I like it being daylight in the early morning. The last few weeks DS16 has been waiting for the bus in the dark and I wasn't so comfortable with that. Oh heck, just bring back summer!

Goofy4TheWorld
11-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Good thing I was not on shift over the time change last night. The crew that was on had to work the extra hour without pay! :eyes: On the change to daylight savings, who ever is on crew works one hour less but gets paid for the entire shift. That is the day that I wouldn't mind working.

Not paying for the extra hour worked is a black-and-white labor law violation in the US, not sure about Canada though.

Hull-onian
11-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I don't know, I was up before the sun. I know that......It's just plain weird.....:secret:

Ed
11-06-2011, 06:48 AM
All it meant for me was that according to the clock I was up and brewing the coffee :coffee: an hour earlier than usual.

:mcoffee:

Melanie
11-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Love it! I'm probably the only one here who likes the time 'normal'. Personally, I hate getting up when it's pitch dark. In the winter, as it's getting colder, I like the coziness of being in the house earlier in the evening as it gets dark outside.

What concrete purpose does it serve? When my boys were young, they always had an early bedtime and it was always difficult to make the adjustment in the spring when the time changed and it was still light and bright out at 7:30pm. Always dreaded that!

BrerGnat
11-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Love it! I'm probably the only one here who likes the time 'normal'. Personally, I hate getting up when it's pitch dark. In the winter, as it's getting colder, I like the coziness of being in the house earlier in the evening as it gets dark outside.

What concrete purpose does it serve? When my boys were young, they always had an early bedtime and it was always difficult to make the adjustment in the spring when the time changed and it was still light and bright out at 7:30pm. Always dreaded that!

I am SO with you on all of this. I think DST is such a waste. I wish we would just go standard time.

I love the early darkness in the winter too!

disneymom15
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I am SO with you on all of this. I think DST is such a waste. I wish we would just go standard time.

I love the early darkness in the winter too!

I agree, I love the early darkness in the winter too!

Janmac
11-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't like daylight savings time. I don't like the sun setting before 5 pm either. I hang on, at this time of year, for that day in December when the days start getting longer. I can't imagine living near or north of the Arctic circle where sunset is in November and sunrise is a date in January. Yikes.

The time change in fall is a piece of cake but that spring time change puts off my inner clock for a good week. The same as flying west, which is difficult to get used to.

I understand that around the Equator, the sun rises and sets the same all year round. Which at first glance sounds neat, but then there wouldn't be the 14 hours or more of daylight that we get here in the summer. Which is wonderful.

Except for those poor kids with early bedtimes as was mentioned. I hated that as a kid. :D

Jan

PirateLover
11-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I like "falling back." I really despise it still being dark when I'm pulling into work at 7am. I think daylight savings time does make sense for a few reasons. During the summer, there are a lot of seasonal businesses and extra daylight allows them to take advantage of the nice weather and extra sunlight. However when the seasons change and the weather gets colder and the sun rises later, it makes more sense to have the daylight back in the morning. There have been also studies done that show it conserves energy.

It really doesn't bother me or my family much, but there are some groups out there that are really anti-clock changing.

Melanie
11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Show me a concrete study done recently that proves DST saves energy. I found the following info on a Daylight Saving Time website:

The argument in favor of saving energy swayed Indiana, where until 2005, only about 16 percent of counties observed Daylight Saving Time. Based on the DOT study, advocates of Indiana DST estimated that the state’s residents would save over $7 million in electricity costs each year. Now that Indiana has made the switch, however, researchers have found the opposite to be the case. Scientists from the University of California, Santa Barbara, compared energy usage over the course of three years in Indiana counties that switched from year-round Standard Time to DST. They found that Indianans actually spent $8.6 million more each year because of Daylight Saving Time, and increased emissions came with a social cost of between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year. Commentators have theorized that the energy jump is due to the increased prevalence of home air conditioning over the past 40 years, in that more daylight toward the end of a summer’s day means that people are more likely to use their air conditioners when they come home from work.

MNNHFLTX
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Tonight we set the clocks back... UGH I love daylight savings time.
I am already dreading it getting darker earlier now.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

It was bad enough that it was getting dark at 6:30 pm before the change back--now it will get dark at 5:30 pm and even earlier after that. My only consolation is that after December 21st, the days start getting longer again....

MNNHFLTX
11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I like "falling back." I really despise it still being dark when I'm pulling into work at 7am.Now see, I like it being dark when I go to work--makes me feel like I've got a jump-start on the day. And what does it matter to me if it's light outside at that time of the morning, when I'm in an office without a window? I'd much rather have a little more sunlight to enjoy after I get off work at the end of the day.

Katzateer
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
It was more of a problem when I was growing up in southern Indiana. Kentucky and Illinois were only a few miles from us. It was always hard to figure out who was on what time Plus Indianapolis was on a different time just 1/2 the year. I think our county and one more in Northern Indiana were the only ones that were different from the rest of the state of:confused:

PirateLover
11-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Show me a concrete study done recently that proves DST saves energy. I found the following info on a Daylight Saving Time website:

I don't really care enough to hunt down studies. I'm not claiming to be an expert, just relayed what I had remembered reading before. I'm sure there are studies on both sides of the issue. Like I said, it doesn't bother me either way, except that I do enjoy light out when I wake up, and I don't care if it's darker when I come home because I don't do as many "outside" activities that require sunlight in the winter.

Melanie
11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
And I'm just saying that the 'saving energy' argument seems to be the most common in support of DST, and as far as I can tell, there really haven't been any widespread studies on that since the 70s.

Scar
11-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I just like DST because I don't need sunlight at 5:00 AM in the summer, but I sure do like it at 8:30 PM. No study needed for that. :cool:

Goofy4TheWorld
11-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I just like DST because I don't need sunlight at 5:00 AM in the summer, but I sure do like it at 8:30 PM. No study needed for that. :cool:

That is exactly why DST usually ends up costing folks more, all because they do more things when they have more daylight, and things cost money.

So even if it can't be said to save money, it can be said to result in increased economic activity.

CanadianWDWFan
11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Not paying for the extra hour worked is a black-and-white labor law violation in the US, not sure about Canada though.
It is something that as a union we agreed to. When DST comes in the guys on shift will work one hour less but get paid for the full shift.

As others have said, I really do appreciate the extra sunlight at 8:30PM.

minnie04
11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I like that it gets dark earlier in the Fall/Winter months. I love when the xmas lights are up and on, on my way home from work, something about it says "warm and fuzzy" lol. On the other hand I do like walking out of the house in the light of morning, but I do feel like im running late to work and the kids are asking if they are going to be late to school, but will get used to it..and by then it will be time to change it back !!!