PDA

View Full Version : A somewhat emotional pouring of thoughts regarding Spectromagic Parade.

AmandaChan
11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Okay I haven't been on here too much lately and I'm not sure what the current status regarding the parades are right now. But I was watching videos on youtube of the spectromagic parade and I truly think it was a shame that my family didn't get to see it for the first time when we went in June. I am all about new things in WDW, believe me, but is it too far of a stretch to say that Spectromagic should never be permanently removed? ARE they bringing it back? There is something so wonderful about the music and the magic that goes along with it... the icing on the entire trip. I guess I have a soft spot because the first time I ever went to WDW we ended our last (of 2 short) days with the parade. And it might sound cheesy but it reminded me of the epitome of my childhood. Which reminded me of my mother, who had passed when I was 17 years old. It made me wish so much in that moment that she was there with me and I teared up (quite a bit). I know that a lot of people can relate to being emotionally moved while they are at WDW and that's why we love it so much and always go back.

It would have been special to see the parade with my family and my son for the first time. But in all honesty I was greatly disappointed with the Electrical Parade. It's the complete opposite in that regard. I mean, it's not a BAD parade. But it doesn't belong at the end of a magical day in MK. You need a finale type ending to the day.... Sorry! I mostly just wanted to rant a little bit and share my feelings and love for Spectromagic. Because to me, it's the epitome what I love about WDW.

Hah, I was just thinking of how silly I would sound if I read this conversation out loud to general people in my life that aren't aware of our WDW infatuation. :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I mean, it's not a BAD parade. But it doesn't belong at the end of a magical day in MK. You need a finale type ending to the day.... Sorry! I mostly just wanted to rant a little bit and share my feelings and love for Spectromagic. Because to me, it's the epitome what I love about WDW.

Hah, I was just thinking of how silly I would sound if I read this conversation out loud to general people in my life that aren't aware of our WDW infatuation. :mickey:

I can relate to this totally. There are several things I don't care for at WDW, but I still love to see them and am happy knowing that they mean very much so someone. Even if that someone isn't me. :D Daytime parades aren't my thing, but I love seeing so many people enjoy them. Just as I side note I do love Spectro too...

And I can also relate to the feeling about having to explain things like this to non-WDW fans. They never seem to get it, do they?

AgentC
11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Though I know lots of people love MSEP, I am with you, I really miss Spectromagic.

I vaguely remembered MSEP from when I was a child, but Spectromagic was the parade when we first took my children and there was something so special about it for us. Main Street just doesn't have the same appeal.

And I love that ICOT is here, so we can discuss these thing with like minded people. I know sometimes my friends think we are a little Disney crazy. :)

B.O.B
11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
As with many Disney movies that go 'into the Disney vault' I'm sure it will return at some point!

K8screen
11-06-2011, 06:33 AM
The last time we went it was MSEP. We gave it a go, but we are Spectro people. I think everyone is one or the other.

We went into a store on Main Street and found some CMs who were also Spectro prople, and we all sung the Spectro music. Dont know if it made us feel better or worse, but it was one of those Disney moments with wonderful CMs that make WDW so magical.

I am REALLY hoping to get my non Disney partner over there soon and see Spectro with him. What are the current dates for MSEP? Any chance of Spectro soon?

darthmacho
11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I can feel the emotion in your written words and want to say that I understand your disappointment with your favorite parade not being there for you to fulfill your otherwise wonderful WDW experience. It can be a real let down when something at WDW that gives you such enjoyment and feelings of nostalgia is replaced. I'm sorry things didn't turn out the way you had hoped.

I do, however, politely disagree with you about MSEP and Spectro. Having seen both parades, I prefer MSEP, which was the highlight of our 1999 trip by far, and I think because of that, when we saw Spectro in 2003, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Like you, I didn't think it was a bad parade, I just preferred the other. Spectro is bright, beautiful, and entertaining, but there was something about the colorful floats and bouncy rhythm of MSEP that simply overjoyed me, and I couldn't help but clap along, which is a little out of character for me. I was delighted when I found out that I would get to see MSEP with my little girls in 2010, and I'm hoping to see it again with them in 2012. I'd be disappointed if they changed it. I'm very grateful for my luck.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if some day they brought back Spectromagic, and you'll be able to enjoy that parade again. Try to get as much enjoyment out of MSEP in the mean time. The important thing is that one day your son will probably be bringing his children to MK to watch a nighttime parade, and will probably think, "I can't wait for us to see MSEP, the same way I saw it with my Mom when I was a kid so many years ago." :mickey:

Katzateer
11-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I would be really surprised if Spectro isn't back in a few years. I love the Electric Light Parade since it brings back so many memories and was glad to see it updated (saw it for the first time in the 70's!). I would think Spectro will be back since it is so popular also.

I am a little surprised EPCOT hasn't had a parade since Tapestry of Nations-loved it!

Main Street Jim
11-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Spectro's floats are in *BAD* need of refurbishment.

That being said, I very much prefer MSEP over Spectro. My kids, who have seen both, and are now 22, 19, and 14, also prefer MSEP over SpectroMagic.

I just feel that the music, the *atmosphere*, of MSEP is just...more magical than that of Spectro.

When MSEP came back the first time in 1999, I literally *cried*. Why? It was "the parade I grew up with" at WDW, and my kids then were going to be able to see what I loved so much. We were at the park nearly three times a week, with AP's in hand, driving 70 miles one-way in the evenings *just* to go see the parade. I was disappointed when it left (again) in 2001, and we were there for both showings of "the final night of the 'Farewell Tour'" (still got the T-shirt :thumbsup:). Now that it's returned, my oldest daughter, her husband, and now my granddaughter have gotten to see MSEP a few times since its return in 2010. Heck, I even cried at the Cast preview when "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...the Magic Kingdom proudly presents...our spectacular festival of color in nighttime magic and imagination...in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthetic magical musical sounds...Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade!"

ANYWAYS...yeah, Spectro's floats need some help first before it returns. Not sure what the status is at the moment, but I doubt you'll see it come back any time soon.

AmandaChan
11-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks everyone for reading what I had to say! I guess perhaps it is a little silly to say that it should never be removed. I guess I understand that MSEP has been around a while and that it has the same meaning to other people. Mostly I just felt the need to share my thoughts with fellow fans!

I guess I hope that it comes back in the future when I least expect and I can relish in its return..

BrerGnat
11-08-2011, 07:31 AM
When Spectromagic first debuted in the early 90's, I was FLOORED. I was barely a teenager at that time, and I thought it was just about the best parade I'd ever seen at Disney. Previous to that, it was MSEP all the way! We had a vinyl record of the MSEP music that my family used to listen to ad nauseum, so it holds a very dear place in my heart as well.

When I returned to WDW as an adult, I couldn't wait to show my (now) DH how cool Spectromagic was. He was unimpressed, and I can say, I honestly was too. That parade did NOT age well.

In contrast, we saw MSEP while it was running at DCA, and one of those times, my younger sister was with me. That parade brought back SO many memories for us both, and DH was with us as well, and we all had a blast watching it. Maybe it helped that they sell :beer: at DCA, so we were a bit "happy". ;) Either way, we had a wonderful time watching that parade.

Fast forward two years, to WDW, and my sister and I saw Spectromagic again. We felt like, "meh, it used to be so much better."

I've gotta say, MSEP is timeless. Even thought it's so old, it is still whimsical for me, and brings me back to my childhood every time. Spectro was once really cool, probably because it was new, but now it's just sort of sad. And, those creepy clown faced dolls. Can do without ever seeing those again. :thedolls:

Melanie
11-08-2011, 07:38 AM
And, those creepy clown faced dolls. Can do without ever seeing those again. :thedolls:

So funny you just mentioned this, as I was looking through some old pics just a few minutes ago trying to find something for the podcast, and came across a pic I took of the creepy clowns. What in the world was I thinking taking a pic of those things? :eek:

BrerGnat
11-08-2011, 07:40 AM
So funny you just mentioned this, as I was looking through some old pics just a few minutes ago trying to find something for the podcast, and came across a pic I took of the creepy clowns. What in the world was I thinking taking a pic of those things? :eek:

I'm surprised anyone is able to take a picture of them without frying their camera. ;)

Aurora
11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
We had a vinyl record of the MSEP music that my family used to listen to ad nauseum, so it holds a very dear place in my heart as well.

Did that record, by any chance, have a picture of Mickey and the Main Street Electrical Parade float stamped on it? We have that record, and I recently was able to make a digital transfer of it to my computer. It was so special, being able to listen to that music at home, after our first trip to Disney World.

Main Street Jim
11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
And, those creepy clown faced dolls. Can do without ever seeing those again. :eek:Their "official" name is "SpectroMen", although...wait...not gonna go there :) ....

But yes, those things are one reason my kids did not really like Spectro.

One of the things I *did* like, was the Chernabog float, steaming and opening up along the parade route :) Thought that was pretty cool.

Goes4FastPass
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see my Magic Kingdom introduce a whole new nighttime parade using the best thinking they can muster.

The "frost" on Cinderella's Castle in December isn't "classic", it's 21st century technology and it makes kids and adults say, "Wow"!

But whatever you call the 'trumpeters' at the beginning of SpectroMagic, I find bah da dum dum dahhh da da dum to be more exciting than MSEP's dinka dink dink.

BrerGnat
11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
One of the things I *did* like, was the Chernabog float, steaming and opening up along the parade route :) Thought that was pretty cool.

It was cool when it worked. Which was seldom.

clausjo
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I am a MSEP girl, mainly because of all the memories from when we went when I was a kid. My children saw MSEP for the first time last summer and they loved it!! I couldn't believe how emotional I was when the music started. I was so happy to share something that was so special to me with my kids. They said it was "the best parade ever"! :thumbsup:

disney obsessed
11-08-2011, 06:45 PM
This is how I feel about everything at Disney World.

LVT
11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
"I know sometimes my friends think we are a little Disney crazy. :)"
I know we are a lot Disney Crazy. I like my hobby just as much as someone else likes football, etc.