PDA

View Full Version : And why is free a bad thing?

Katzateer
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
:confused:

We went to a community event and there was all kinds of free food. No one in my family wanted the cotton candy, pretzels, hot dogs, water bottles. If we had been at a park the stuff would have been $$$ and they probably would have asked for seconds.

I normally don't pay for cotton candy since it isn't my first choice when I buy snacks but I tried the free offer and it was really good. And the popcorn was being popped fresh and was better than the last batch I got at WDW!

Just saying........

BrerGnat
11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
That is so funny you mention this.

Today, we went to our local Hallmark store to pick out our Christmas ornaments for the year. We do this every year, on the first weekend in November. When we walked in the store, there was a huge table full of goodies: cupcakes, brownies, chocolates, cookies, coffee/hot chocolate, etc. We eyed it suspiciously, and none of us dared go near it. We saw others taking stuff, but it seemed so odd that we were caught off guard. I was sure it was a trap...like if we ate a cupcake, we'd have to listen to someone try to get us to buy something specific, or donate money. We just picked our ornaments and left. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed a HUGE sign on the window, "Holiday Open House this Weekend Only!" So, apparently, there was nothing nefarious about these free goodies, but I think we were just suspicious, that's all.

You always hear, "there is no such thing as free." If you attend an event and there's all kinds of free food there, I think most of us feel like something must be up with it.

Kinda weird response, but it's just how we honestly felt. Like, there is no such thing as a free cupcake. I don't know...:blush:

Katzateer
11-05-2011, 07:00 PM
That is so funny!! I work at a Gold Crown Hallmark store and they all had open houses today and most have the free goodies! At ours they also have free photos with Santa.

DizneyRox
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
It's called a loss leader. Item(s) available at a loss to lure people into buying more. You'll get those that just come for the "free" stuff, but more often than not, once in the store, etc, you'll end up with something else. Hopefully something with a very large profit margin.

Black Friday deals are prime examples...

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-06-2011, 09:02 PM
They were also doing something like that at the Yankee Candle at our Mall this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't get to go take advantage of the free food.
It is funny though how we automatically assume we'll pay one way or the other. Like getting stuck listening to a time share pitch or something.

BrerGnat
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
They were also doing something like that at the Yankee Candle at our Mall this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't get to go take advantage of the free food.
It is funny though how we automatically assume we'll pay one way or the other. Like getting stuck listening to a time share pitch or something.

Right? I mean, I honestly thought those goodies were "compliments of" some random person who was given permission to come into the store to hawk whatever it is they were selling, and the second I took a cupcake, I'd be stuck listening to a sales pitch.

We usually go get our ornaments on the "preview" weekend in October, but this year we missed that, so we decided to go Saturday. I never knew this Hallmark Gold Crown store Open House event existed. Now, since I know,we will be partaking in free treats next year!

And, regardless, they DID get our money. Over $50 in ornaments. :D

TinkerbellT421
11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
So funny! This has happened to DBF and I twice in the past few years....One day we were on our way to Foxwoods in CT....we stopped because as always, I had to use the bathroom because my bladder is the size of a peanut. So we stopped at this gas station I forget the name, it was early in the morning too. But it was a HUGE gas station of the exist along with Gift shop and connected restaurant/eating area. Well while walking in there was a huge sign for a Boars Head restaurant that was opening and it was a "Grand opening" with a breakfast buffet. So while DBF and I were standing there looking around I heard the girl tell someone who had inquired about the cost that it was "free" so I whispered this to DBF who was in complete denial and said there is no way this huge spread, including boards head food (which is expensive all by itself) is free. So curious DBF asked, she said "Free, how many to be seated?" DBF and I then followed with "Whats the catch?" she just giggled and said "Its on us for our Grand Opening....the whole time we were also curious if the food was several days old to offer it for free (Just kidding!) But the thought did cross our minds and it was a delicious treat! Guess it was just the right place at the right time.

A second time, during summer we were window shopping in a local area that just has stores upon stores. We saw a "Grand Opening" sign at a new electronics store (which is now shut down) but it was supposed to be competition to Best Buy....well they were giving away free hot dogs and hamburgers and sodas. We didn't indulge on that though :sick:

DisneyDog
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Food at Yankee Candle? Ugh. I can't even breathe when I pass by that store, let alone think about eating. It usually means instant migraine for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the scent of an individual candle, but when you shmoosh all of those scents into one little store, it's more than my senses can handle.:sick:

PETE FROM NYC
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I deal with a place giving away cupcakes, cookies coffee, soda, etc, every spring. Its a boating supply store, and I go to buy there every year to gey the family boat ready for the upcoming summer. It may bring in new customers, but we regulars can enjoy it too. If it also brings in a freeloader or two, so be it.