PDA

View Full Version : He should go, right?

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Okay, we have a situation.

We are supposed to go to WDW for a week in December. Plane tickets have been bought, park tickets have been bought, room is booked.

DH came home today with the news that he has been selected (only 4 guys out of about 120 were chosen) to attend a week long school in Paris, France, hosted by their military. He would have a chance to visit a bunch of historical WWI sites as well as represent the Marine Corps to the French Military.

The problem is, it's the same week as our vacation. And, we don't have the opportunity to take a vacation together very often due to his work schedule.

He has to let them know tomorrow if he wants to go or not.

We'd be out $400 in airline change fees, but otherwise, we could reschedule the trip for next June, probably, unless we have to move again which is a possibility.

I think he should go. You don't get this kind of opportunity very often, and I think it's an honor that he was chosen. He feels guilty because he knows how much we were all looking forward to this vacation (and, his birthday falls during it, so he was looking forward to spending it at WDW too).

He should go, right? He's leaving the decision up to me. No pressure...

DizneyRox
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
France? Ehhh... If it were me, I'd pass... It's high on my list of places I don't care to go.

Germany, Ireland, England, etc.. Sign me up!

azdisneymom
11-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow - tough call. Didn't he return from deployment not too long ago? If you didn't purchase trip insurance you might want to check with your credit card company. Some may add trip insurance automatically - might be a way to get out of the fees. Or a far reach but if DH is traveling on orders couldn't you check into the Soldier's and Sailor's relief act for help in getting the airlines to waive the fees?

One last possibility - Let hubby go across the pond and take me to WDW. :mickey:

Ian
11-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Playing the role of Natalie's husband this trip will be ... Me! :D

Just kidding. Yes. He has to go. It stinks, but WDW will be there next year. This is a once in a lifetime honor that he can't miss.

Mickey'sGirl
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Absolutely he should go. France is an incredible place to visit, especially for history buffs! I would assume he'll be spending time in Normandy and it would be so wonderful if he has the chance to visit the memorials along the different Allied Beaches. You must be so proud of your husband.

faline
11-02-2011, 08:17 PM
As much as I would hate to miss out on a trip to Disney World, I think this is an honor that needs to be accepted! Is there any chance you could go to France as well?

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I agree - is there any chance you can go to France with him? That would be an amazing trip!

Otherwise, it is a tough decision, but it sounds like a really special honour that isn't too be missed.

Kairi_7378
11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with the previous posters. The trip to France sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I know many vets who would love to take that kind of trip.

Congratulations to him! I think he should celebrate an un-birthday or a half birthday in WDW when you reschedule.

retiredfigment
11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I agree, your husband should go, and congratulations to him. You do not mention who other than yourself was going to DW. Can you still go with them?

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Me going to France is not an option. No one to watch the kids, plus he will be on a very full schedule. It's not like a business trip or something.

And, our trip to WDW was a family vacation. Just the four of us. I wouldn't entertain the idea of going without him on this one, since the family time together is the whole reason for it. He returned from a deployment a little under a year ago, and we haven't had a chance to vacation since, because of moving this year.

I told him to accept. He emailed the Colonel a little while ago. He's mentioned more than a few times since how much he wants to go. He is such a great guy. He really didn't want me to be disappointed. He downplayed the whole thing like it was no big deal, but I know him too well. He's not a good actor. I knew how much it means to him, and I know WDW will always be there later. And, luckily our kids are very understanding of plans having to change.

Still, though, I am a bit sad that I'll no longer be at WDW 45 days from now. I was looking forward to the Holiday stuff there. :(

Pirate Granny
11-02-2011, 10:42 PM
DISNEYWORLD PARIS...go with hubby, trips like this are far and few I between...what an honor

gerald72
11-03-2011, 05:06 AM
If it's a rate opportunity, don't let it pass by, even if you must lose your plane fare to Florida.

Can you go to Wdw without him?

Marymouse2003
11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Simply...he should go. What an awesome honor. I know it's dissappointing, but WDW will be here waiting. Start planning the next trip WITH him. Best of luck to you all !!
:wishes:

Melanie
11-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah, he should definitely go.

floridamom
11-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Based on his reaction after you told him to go, it sounds like you absolutely made the right call.

I am impressed that you both chose to put the other first- he by downplaying his desire to go and defer to your wishes, and you by your willingness to postpone a family vacation.

Disney is great, but as a previous poster said, it will still be there next year. This situation not only presented a unique opportunity for him, but also demonstrated what your relationship is all about.

I wish you and your family many great vacations in the years to come.

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I am impressed that you both chose to put the other first- he by downplaying his desire to go and defer to your wishes, and you by your willingness to postpone a family vacation.

Thank you. This is not the first family vacation I've had to postpone. Or the second. Or the third. ;)

I think that is why he was so hesitant to even bring it up. He knows how disappointed I've been in the past about this sort of thing, but you know, it's part of the package of being a military family.

As far as sacrifices go, this is small beans. I made sure he knew that.

minnie04
11-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I would agree.. He should go what a great Honor, But I would still try to make your trip with the kids only because you mentioned you have had to cancel so many other vacations as a family. I know it wont be the same, but the kids would probably still have a wonderful time with you.. Make that your special time with them and when he returns plan something big for all of you. :mickey:

Scar
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Natalie, funny you should mention this. I was in Gettysburg a couple weeks go and had a long conversation with an instructor from one of our military schools here. He was touring the battlefield with a bunch of foriegn military members.

Is there a good reason why you're not still going to WDW with your kids?

azdisneymom
11-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I told him to accept. :(

I am moved by the fact that you two wanted to put the wishes of the other first. You and your family are examples of the decisions military families make. I am sure you were hoping for a trip like this since before hubby returned from deployment. Memories and a time to reconnect as a family is so important, yet you know that going is what is best for him. I sit here and the mom side of me kicks in - proud of you and sad for you at the same time. (military families understand that comment) :hug: :flag:

Jim&AngieMarriner
11-03-2011, 09:33 AM
(1) France, I dont need to see it. Germany Is just as pretty and has better Beer. Just Saying. :beer:

(2) French people, as a whole, I do not like thier attitude toward America and specifically Amercian Military. Ive had way to much interaction with them in the past. :ack:

(3) As a Career Army Soldier, there is no way in the world I would miss a chance to represent my Nation and my Branch of Service. Seeing first hand the battlefields of WWI and WWII for most people is touching. For those of us in uniform, it goes so much deeper. You guys made the right choice I think. :twocents:

minnie04
11-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I am moved by the fact that you two wanted to put the wishes of the other first. You and your family are examples of the decisions military families make. I am sure you were hoping for a trip like this since before hubby returned from deployment. Memories and a time to reconnect as a family is so important, yet you know that going is what is best for him. I sit here and the mom side of me kicks in - proud of you and sad for you at the same time. (military families understand that comment) :hug: :flag:

I think we all understand that comment. It is the hardest life to live never knowing when they have to leave or when they are coming home, but you and your children also deserve a nice vacation to make memories and share them with your Husband when he comes home with his new memories of a great opportunity. Weither its Disney World or France, you both deserve something happy and if it means doing this one seperatly then so be it. Go have a great time with the kids and make those happy memories that last a life time !!!! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I totally think you guys made the right decision... what an honor for your husband, no wonder you're so proud of him. I hope your trip next year is that much better just because of it!!

(and is there any chance you guys could drive down for a long wknd in December, just to see the decorations?? Just a thought.... :))

buzznwoodysmom
11-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Natalie,

I think you guys made the right decision. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and more than likely one, or both, of you would have regretted him missing out on this later on down the road.

My hubby is in the military as well, he has had several of these opportunities, and as I'm sure you know, they always come up at the absolute most inconvenient times for our family. He has always gone when given the chance and we have never regretted changing our plans for him. He's been able to go places like Belize, Thailand, Okinawa, and next year Germany. Places that he would have probably never visited without these opportunities.

Like someone else mentioned, WDW will always be there for future trips. If it were me, the boys and I would just keep our plans and go without him, but I completely understand why you wouldn't want to do that. I hope your DH has a wonderful time, and that you guys can find your way back to WDW soon. You definitely deserve that family vacay!!!!

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Well, for those of you who have posted to the effect of "France is not that great", I'll just say he has already been to England, Ireland, Germany, Australia, and South Korea. France is on his list of places he wants to visit, and he even chose to take French as his "elective" during this school year.

Plus, for a Marine specifically, he is very interested in the opportunity to visit Belleau Wood, which is legendary in USMC history.

I wouldn't dream of denying him that chance. But, I made sure he knows that any "fun" stuff he happens to get to do is just research for our future trip to Paris as a couple, and you can be SURE Disneyland Paris is on that agenda. :thumbsup: :D

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Natalie, funny you should mention this. I was in Gettysburg a couple weeks go and had a long conversation with an instructor from one of our military schools here. He was touring the battlefield with a bunch of foriegn military members.

Is there a good reason why you're not still going to WDW with your kids?

Did they happen to be Australians? The Command and Staff College here (Quantico, VA) hosted a large group of Australian military while they were here in the U.S. for about a month. I know they went up to NYC, and they may have very well visited some of the battlefields up that way.

This C&S College hosts several foreign military students each year. They will be hosting the French military members the week in December prior to when my DH would go and spend a week in their school. They all travel back to France together.

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Honestly, as much as I'd like to see WDW over the Holidays, I don't want to go with just me and the boys. We don't lack for "special time together", because it usually seems like it's just me and them. ;)

Plus, they are kind of a handful due to their ASD, and they are still too young for me to feel totally comfortable being outnumbered by them in a place like WDW. I can't trust them, for example, to actually stay in the hotel room while I take a shower without them trying to "break out". Simply from a safety standpoint, it's not a good idea. Add that to the fact that they each like/dislike different rides and they are both too young to be left alone. We'd never ride anything! At this point, there is no one (family wise) who would be able to accompany me in DH's place.

I could take one of them alone, no problem. But not both.

Scar
11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
So you won't be taking Ian up on his offer? ;)

There was a mix from different countries. I saw a lot of asians. But I do know the school was not in VA, I'm pretty sure he said it was in Indiana.

Mogie
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
The whole family should go and you can extend the trip to Disneyland Paris!!

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
The whole family should go and you can extend the trip to Disneyland Paris!!

But that's the problem. We can't extend the trip. These would technically be "temporary additional duty" orders. He'd be traveling on Gov't orders. I can't accompany him, even if I wanted to.

And taking the kids? Not happenin...

Dsnygirl
11-03-2011, 12:06 PM
(and is there any chance you guys could drive down for a long wknd in December, just to see the decorations?? Just a thought.... :))

Sorry, I didn't mean just you and the boys, I meant w/ your DH, before or after his trip. Maybe just 3 nights to see the castle lights, Osborne lights... I'm so good at justifying a trip, just ask my DH.... ;)

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean just you and the boys, I meant w/ your DH, before or after his trip. Maybe just 3 nights to see the castle lights, Osborne lights... I'm so good at justifying a trip, just ask my DH.... ;)

Yeah, we thought about that, but the problem is that he is supposed to return 12/18, and his mom is flying in on 12/22 for 10 days to visit. She already bought her plane ticket too, so asking her to change her flight would be another additional expense we don't want to ask her to take on.

minnie04
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Honestly, as much as I'd like to see WDW over the Holidays, I don't want to go with just me and the boys. We don't lack for "special time together", because it usually seems like it's just me and them. ;)

Plus, they are kind of a handful due to their ASD, and they are still too young for me to feel totally comfortable being outnumbered by them in a place like WDW. I can't trust them, for example, to actually stay in the hotel room while I take a shower without them trying to "break out". Simply from a safety standpoint, it's not a good idea. Add that to the fact that they each like/dislike different rides and they are both too young to be left alone. We'd never ride anything! At this point, there is no one (family wise) who would be able to accompany me in DH's place.

I could take one of them alone, no problem. But not both.

Got it !!! wasnt sure of their ages , yes wait for DH to go. it sounds like you wouldnt really enjoy yourself.

princessgirls
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Natalie,

Congratulations to your husband for this awesome honor he was given. It is a trip of a lifetime.

I give Thanks and Praise for ALL of our military families. They sacrifice MORE than people give them credit for.

You did the right thing. Disney will be there. It's just hard!!!

Julie:mickey:

garymacd
11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
It sounds like a once in a lifetime chance. Take it, eat the $400 and re-book your vacation.

It's a bit of a pill to swallow, but I think he should do it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Can't believe this Disney Freak is saying this but yes, he should go to France:unsure:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry you have to postpone your trip but what a wonderful compliment to your husband. Thanks to him and all the troops for all they do for us and especially for all they give up for us!

BrerGnat
11-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Well, now we're in limbo. I guess they haven't made a final decision on who is going, and if they don't have enough, they won't go. Apparently, 2 guys already said they can't go. So, DH is on the "list" and if the trip goes through, we'll find out shortly.

So, we're not canceling anything until he has orders in hand! There's still a chance at WDW in December after all. My poor kids...I don't think they could be more confused. Lesson learned, next time, say nothing to the kids until we know for SURE what's going on. :blush:

On the upside, if we DO have to reschedule, I found out from Jet Blue that they will waive the change fee since DH will have NATO orders to travel, as long as we fax them a copy of the orders. So, we won't have to eat the $400. But, when we go to reschedule, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll find the same fare we booked at (which was a STEAL), so we'll have to make up the difference in airfare. It could be worse.

So, playing the waiting game. Again.

TinkerbellT421
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Well, now we're in limbo. I guess they haven't made a final decision on who is going, and if they don't have enough, they won't go. Apparently, 2 guys already said they can't go. So, DH is on the "list" and if the trip goes through, we'll find out shortly.

So, we're not canceling anything until he has orders in hand! There's still a chance at WDW in December after all. My poor kids...I don't think they could be more confused. Lesson learned, next time, say nothing to the kids until we know for SURE what's going on. :blush:

On the upside, if we DO have to reschedule, I found out from Jet Blue that they will waive the change fee since DH will have NATO orders to travel, as long as we fax them a copy of the orders. So, we won't have to eat the $400. But, when we go to reschedule, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll find the same fare we booked at (which was a STEAL), so we'll have to make up the difference in airfare. It could be worse.

I first want to start by saying thank you to your husband for his service. And thank you to you and your children for your sacrifices you also make for our country to have a husband and father that serves us. So thank you. :mickey:

Got to this post a little late, so at this point I just wanted to say that :thumbsup:

Hopefully you will know soon on what is going on. And glad you dont have to eat the $400!!! Like you said earlier on, you obviously made the right decision because France is a once in a lifetime opportunity and Disney will always be there in any December for your family to be able to experience the Christmas magic there in the future! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Why am I not at all surprised to read this????? Another lesson we've learned is to never cancel plans until the latest possible date, just incase the military changes something, which they ALWAYS do. At least there's one good thing, you guys are either going to WDW or your husband going to France. Things could be so much worse!!!!

Aurora
11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Natalie, thanks to your husband and all of you for all of the sacrifices you make. Our lives are easier because of families like yours.

I know living in limbo is hard, but either way it turns out will be a great experience. Someday your children will understand. I don't live the life you lead, but I've also had to learn to keep my mouth shut about trips for various reasons until things were rock solid. But then my kids complain that I don't tell them anything. Oh, well, you can't win.

On another note, what's with the France-bashing on this thread? Uncool.

BrerGnat
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
On another note, what's with the France-bashing on this thread? Uncool.

Yeah, that was surprising to me too. Didn't really ask for opinions about France...

I've had far more negative experiences dealing with "Americans" than in the numerous encounters with French people I've had...

Janmac
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I seem to remember some talk of changing the name french fries, and folks were pouring their imported wines in the gutters. I think - memory is so not what it used to be - that was when France was less than enthusiastic about joining us in the invasion of Iraq.

In 1985 DH and I were lucky enough to visit some European countries for 2 weeks. France was the least friendly but we still had a good time.

We still laugh over a little "discussion" between DH and a postal employee in some little French town. (Again, memory doesn't serve any more) We were wanting to send postcards home and the employee asked us a question in French. I can read French but spoken French is often beyond me. DH said, loudly, "by air" and the French guy said his thing, more loudly, and DH said, even louder, "by air". I thought they were going to come to blows through that little window, yelling at each other.

Finally I realized the employee, who was really nearly postal at this point, had to be asking if we wanted the cards sent by air, and said, "oui".

He did a wonderful eye roll and almost thumped his forehead over the cretins in front of him, and stamped our cards.

All good.

Jan

BrerGnat
11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
So, the France trip...not so much. Not happenin'. They decided they wanted an Infantry guy to go as the ground combat representative, and DH is Artillery. Oh well.

WDW, here we come!

MizMissy
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
WDW, here we come!

I'm sure your DH is disappointed, but this really is a win-win for you. You did the right thing supporting his career and, in the end, you still have your family vacation to WDW!! Yay!!!

Have a fabulous trip! (and, hopefully, there are no other bumps or snags along the way).

buzznwoodysmom
11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
So, the France trip...not so much. Not happenin'. They decided they wanted an Infantry guy to go as the ground combat representative, and DH is Artillery. Oh well.

WDW, here we come!

Looks like it all worked out the way it was supposed to. I am kinda crushed for your DH though. What a great experience this would have been for him, and it seemed like he was thrilled about the idea. However, getting to spend a week with his children is probably an even greater experience! I hope you guys have your best trip yet!!!!!