PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mouse TALKS!

Katzateer
10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Mickey Mouse as a magician and he TALKS! A limited trial experiment at the MK! Never would have expected that!!!

Melanie
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Announced via the Disney Blog today, the talking, interactive Mickey will be testing tonight for the first time at Town Square for a limited amount of guests. Periodic testing will be going on in the upcoming days.

I believe they've been testing this for awhile at Disneyland. Personally, it seems a little strange, but am trying to reserve judgement until I can see it in person. Can't beat the personal touch, that's for sure.

TexasPrincessAurora
10-31-2011, 09:41 PM
When we were at Disneyland in December 2006 and had a character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel, Lilo spoke to my son and to us. Her voice was spot on Lilo, but it was very surprising. A nice way to give the kids another way to interact though.

darthmacho
11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm so used to the silent characters. This will be hard to get used to. Then again, if anyone could pull it off, it would be Mickey. His voice is so infectious...in a good way, of course. :mickey:

Butters
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Can't wait to see it

joonyer
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
This sounds really cool. Hope it's still going when when we are able to get back to WDW. Maybe next fall.

Gator
11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Saw the video. That......was amazing!

disneyfan328
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
can you link to the video?

minnie04
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM

where is the video?? I would love to see it. Also it would be nice to hear the voices instead of telling the kids "Mickey has a cold and can't talk right now" they used to look at me all the time and ask 'why doesnt Mickey ever say anything? He talks in the movies" hmm that was always a good one.. :mickey:

minnie04
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
:mjump::mjump::mjump: OMG!! I think its the cutest thing ever !!! I just saw it on Youtube. All the kids are going to love it. The only thing I could see as a down side is ...THE KIDS ARE NEVER GOING TO LEAVE HIM :mickey: lol.. they are going to want to keep talking to him all day..Very cute I hope they have it soon in WDW

11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Just being done on a very limited trial (test) basis.

MickeysBestPal
11-01-2011, 04:02 PM

The video that you saw is likely not representative of the talking Mickey that will be visiting with guests at WDW.

The Blog clips are promotional videos and tests, created under "studio" conditions.

Melanie
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
The video that you saw is likely not representative of the talking Mickey that will be visiting with guests at WDW.

So what will be different?

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
So what will be different?

Mickey (at least the current version being tested) won't be able to directly respond to "unique" guests questions.

For instance, if a little kid says, "Mickey, can you pull a bunny out of your shoe?"

Mickey can only say, (basically) "Yes" or "No,"

But, he could not say, "Out of my shoe? Gosh, I haven't learned that trick!"

Melanie
11-02-2011, 07:41 AM
So it won't be personal, as in Mickey won't be able to greet little princesses with "Hi Cinderella!"?

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
So it won't be personal, as in Mickey won't be able to greet little princesses with "Hi Cinderella!"?

Maybe... yes.

"Saying names" may be addressed.
(And, it would likely require the assistance of a
"pre-screener.")

But, no answering of guests spontaneous questions (unless it is of a "yes" or "no" situation.)

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Maybe... yes.

"Saying names" may be addressed.
(And, it would likely require the assistance of a
"pre-screener.")

But, no answering of guests spontaneous questions (unless it is of a "yes" or "no" situation.)

I have to ask, do you have intimate, working knowledge of this? Because, when we were living in CA, and they were doing the trial for this at Disneyland, one of my friends got to meet talking Mickey with her kids. Their interaction was VERY personalized. Mickey commented on one of the boy's shirts specifically, and joked around with him about it. He also asked a question about the boy's favorite ride and responded uniquely when the boy told him it was CA Screamin'. I've seen the video of this interaction and it was neither pre screened or 'generic'.

While I can't speak for the "version" of talking Micky at WDW, I am going to assume it's the same technology.

There is also evidence of this spontaneous nature of Mickey's responses all over YouTube. Just search "Talking Mickey" and you will see what I'm saying. Seems to me that Mickey can say whatever he wants, and it comes out sounding like Mickey. :mickey:

Patricia
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
The Patent for a Speech transformer was issued to Disney in 1994. In the abstract of this patent it mentions that this system would enable talking, costumed characters as well as other applications..

Like Natalie, I've seen some of the Disneyland videos where Mickey uses names, refers to particular clothing and even parents hats. In one video he is even laughing along with everyone.

Personally, I love the idea. :mickey:

Mogie
11-02-2011, 11:47 AM
I think this technology is awesome.

looks like its similar to what theyre doing for Talking Crush?

There must be a camera somewhere near the meet and greet area and someone behind a monitor somewhere with a microphone and im guessing a very talented actor in the mickey Costume acting it all out.

Unless of course they hired someone who does a mean mickey voice impression in the costume under the mask.

OR maybe theres an acter under the costume and a soundproof mask and they have some kind of voice changing technology that comes out mickey. (Seems unlikely)

Either way, this sounds very expensive to implement.

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Mogie, the technology is actually rather simple. Have you ever seen one of those things that can turn your voice into a "robot" or make your breathing sound like Darth Vader? These little gimmicky toys have been in existence for years, and you see them a lot at specialty toy stores and places like that.

I assume Disney MAJORLY "plussed" that technology, patented their version, and had it installed INSIDE the costumes, so that anyone's voice can be transformed to "magically" come out sounding like Mickey Mouse.

There are no outside forces at work, like at Turtle Talk.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I have to ask, do you have intimate, working knowledge of this? Because, when we were living in CA, and they were doing the trial for this at Disneyland, one of my friends got to meet talking Mickey with her kids. Their interaction was VERY personalized. Mickey commented on one of the boy's shirts specifically, and joked around with him about it. He also asked a question about the boy's favorite ride and responded uniquely when the boy told him it was CA Screamin'. I've seen the video of this interaction and it was neither pre screened or 'generic'.

While I can't speak for the "version" of talking Micky at WDW, I am going to assume it's the same technology.

There is also evidence of this spontaneous nature of Mickey's responses all over YouTube. Just search "Talking Mickey" and you will see what I'm saying. Seems to me that Mickey can say whatever he wants, and it comes out sounding like Mickey. :mickey:

You're watching the wrong YouTube videos.
Those clips that show "free interaction" are not the technology of the "Conversation Mickey" that is being used with guests on a more regular basis.

Those with "free interaction" (as in personal comments about individual guests and answers to kids specific questions) are very, very special sessions which feature the actual "Voice of Mickey" doing the live speaking in real-time, on-location. for the costumed character. Very expensive and brief sessions.

The current Mickey interacting with guests cannot make specific comments other than those which are pre-recorded and stored for random access by the character operator.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Mogie, the technology is actually rather simple. Have you ever seen one of those things that can turn your voice into a "robot" or make your breathing sound like Darth Vader? These little gimmicky toys have been in existence for years, and you see them a lot at specialty toy stores and places like that.

I assume Disney MAJORLY "plussed" that technology, patented their version, and had it installed INSIDE the costumes, so that anyone's voice can be transformed to "magically" come out sounding like Mickey Mouse.

There are no outside forces at work, like at Turtle Talk.

The current "Conversation Mickey" voice is not using "voice-changer" technology.

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Those with "free interaction" (as in personal comments about individual guests and answers to kids specific questions) are very, very special sessions which feature the actual "Voice of Mickey" doing the live speaking in real-time, on-location. for the costumed character. Very expensive and brief sessions.

Really? What's the point of that?

Why would they debut "talking Mickey" at Disneyland as the new, improved living character initiative meet and greet experience, let a bunch of people video tape it and put it up all over the internet, and then NOT have "talking Mickey" at WDW be the same experience?

When they were testing this out at Disneyland, it went on for several days. I can't believe that Bret Iwan was sitting in a back room with a two way mirror and was ad-libbing all those meet and greets.

I mean, it's possible, and I am not doubting you, but it seems like a kinda backwards thing to do. They could never pull that off long term, so why introduce him that way if it wasn't going to be done that way in all the parks?

And, if they have voice transformer technology, why not just use it?

Patricia
11-02-2011, 06:08 PM
The current "Conversation Mickey" voice is not using "voice-changer" technology.

So, what is the point of having a Mickey testing that won't be used on a regular basis? I don't get that.

I also saw the videos of Mickey using limited speech as well. Not nearly as interesting.

Patricia
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Rats! 4 kids, slow server and an iPhone. Natalie beat me with the "what's the point?"

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Rats! 4 kids, slow server and an iPhone. Natalie beat me with the "what's the point?"

Great minds think alike. :cool:

McLiberal8
11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I think the Mickey at the Town Square Theater will be eventually replaced with this talking Mickey. If you have been there/look through pictures, within the room you meet Mickey, there is a 'vanity' with a mirror, which I can only assume is a 2 way mirror. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cketzleromaha/6307032155/

The most recent videos from WDW have had the Mickey interacting on a word-to-word level with the guests. Other videos I have seen from beta testing have had just pre programmed Mickey 'phrases'.

I am so psyched! My kids will never believe I lived in a time where Mickey didn't talk to you when you were at the parks! :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:15 PM
And, if they have voice transformer technology, why not just use it?

It doesn't work well enough to make the voice natural.

It's not a matter of changing the "pitch" and/or the "tone" (timbre) -which is what "voice changing" does-
the entire delivery would have to "be" Mickey's voice.

There is no such technology available.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
So, what is the point of having a Mickey testing that won't be used on a regular basis? I don't get that.

I also saw the videos of Mickey using limited speech as well. Not nearly as interesting.

Expect that to be all that's available at the parks on a "regular" basis.

To see what I'm talking about go to YouTube and search for

Talking Mickey Mouse at the 2011 Disney D23 Expo

This is the most recent public interaction with "Conversation Mickey"
and, sadly, it's none too good.

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
There is no such technology available.

Yes there is. Maybe Disney doesn't have it yet, but it does exist. It's software based, at least the one I know of. You speak into a microphone connected to your computer and the software can change your voice to sound like anything you want. This could absolutely be used at WDW. There are such things as wireless microphones that could, theoretically, be hooked up to a computer that would change the voice, and the sound would come out from speakers. I'm sure, with all the technology knowledge at WDI, they could make this happen rather easily.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Really? What's the point of that?

Why would they debut "talking Mickey" at Disneyland as the new, improved living character initiative meet and greet experience, let a bunch of people video tape it and put it up all over the internet, and then NOT have "talking Mickey" at WDW be the same experience?

That's easy.

Early on, (well over a year ago) they began testing a "concept"-

A- To see guests reactions to a talking Mickey (without having to build a prototype with a recorded voice.)

B- To build excitement in the general public about "talking Mickey coming."

C- To make their competitors quake in their boots as to what
kind of cutting edge concepts are coming to the Disney parks.
(Disney does that kind of thing pretty frequently.)

McLiberal8
11-02-2011, 07:25 PM
This is the most recent public interaction with "Conversation Mickey" and it's none too good.

No, it isn't. The official Disney Parks blog posted a video on Halloween of magician Mickey at Town Square Theater talking. And it is REALLY good!

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
No, it isn't. The official Disney Parks blog posted a video on Halloween of magician Mickey at Town Square Theater talking. And it is REALLY good!

That was a video shot by Disney to promote "Conversation Mickey."

It was set up under studio conditions with Brett Iwan on location providing the voice.

That is not what guests can experience on a daily basis.

Melanie
11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
That is not what guests can experience on a daily basis.

Why post the video then and create unreal expectations?

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM

I thought is was a bad idea, myself.

But, that's the kind of hype that companies are stooping to.

In the past, Disney used to "under-promise, then over-deliver," but as of late, they have been offering up the kind of "false representation" that Universal Studios has been showing regarding Wizarding World of Harry Potter. (Kids freely riding on broomsticks through the city.

Just look at how Disney promotes "Soarin'" in video ads.

They show a family on a single hang-glider platform, flying freely through the clouds.
That's not what Soarin' actually is, but that's how it's promoted.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes there is. Maybe Disney doesn't have it yet, but it does exist. It's software based, at least the one I know of. You speak into a microphone connected to your computer and the software can change your voice to sound like anything you want.

No, I'm sorry, but it can't.

It can change the way your voice sounds, but it cannot change one voice
"into" another specific voice.

For instance, it could not make Pee Wee Herman's voice turn into James Earl Jones' voice.
Nor could it make James Earl Jones' voice turn into Pee Wee Herman's voice.

But, it could make JEJ's voice high and squeeky and PWH's voice low and grumbly.

That change, however, does not allow one kind of voice to fully "turn into" another famous, well-known speaking voice.

Mufasa
11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
No, I'm sorry, but it can't.

It can change the way your voice sounds, but it cannot change one voice
"into" another specific voice.

You might just be interested in reading up on US Patent 5,327,521

And for those who want a glimpse at some of the technology behind some of the various approaches being evaluated and/or play-tested in the parks, check out the human-computer interaction research group project pages at Disney Research's site below: (take note of the language-based character interaction, tongue input device which has a video demo and wearable sound project descriptions for some example projects that are applicable)

http://www.disneyresearch.com/research/human_comp_interaction.htm

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
You might just be interested in reading up on US Patent 5,327,521

And for those who want a glimpse at some of the technology behind some of the various approaches being evaluated and/or play-tested in the parks, check out the human-computer interaction research group project pages at Disney Research's site below: (take note of the language-based character interaction, tongue input device which has a video demo and wearable sound project descriptions for some example projects that are applicable)

http://www.disneyresearch.com/research/human_comp_interaction.htm

This has nothing to do with turning a non-Mickey Mouse voice into "the" Mickey Mouse voice.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Also (since I just saw a commercial on TV) they promote visiting Disney parks by showing Mickey Mouse strolling hand-in-hand, through the park, with kids, as though that's how guests interact with Mickey at the park.

Mufasa
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
This has nothing to do with turning a non-Mickey Mouse voice into "the" Mickey Mouse voice.

Uh, did you actually take time to look up and read the patent?

A high quality voice transformation system and method operates during a training mode to store voice signal characteristics representing target and source voices. Thereafter, during a real time transformation mode, a signal representing source speech is segmented into overlapping segments, analyzed to separate the excitation spectrum from the tone quality spectrum. A stored target tone quality spectrum is substituted for the source spectrum and then convolved with the actual source speech excitation spectrum to produce a transformed speech signal having the word and excitation content of the source, but the acoustical characteristics of a target speaker. The system may be used to enable a talking, costumed character, or in other applications where a source speaker wishes to imitate the voice characteristics of a different, target speaker.

MickeysBestPal
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Uh, did you actually take time to look up and read the patent?

It doesn't work the way you think that it does.

Mufasa
11-02-2011, 11:33 PM
It doesn't work the way you think that it does.

LOL... right... there's NO possible way I could know anything about how this works. Cepstral analysis? Fourier transforms?

[sarcasm filter] It is not like I've actually implemented a few projects using this approach or similar because of course that might make me somewhat qualified on the matter [/sarcasm filter off]

BrerGnat
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
My money is on you, Mufasa. Thank you for providing intimate, working knowledge of this technology. I knew it existed. :thumbsup: it will be exciting when it's fully ready for prime time.

Patricia
11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Mufasa, I'll keep my money on you as well! That's the patent I was referring to.. It made complete sense to me. :crazy:

MickeysBestPal
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Mufasa, I'll keep my money on you as well! That's the patent I was referring to.. It made complete sense to me. :crazy:

But, it's a patent from 1994.

Disney has not publicly used the technology in 18 years.
It just doesn't work well enough to get the voice "right."

What Disney is using on the "Conversation Mickey" is not this voice-changing technology.

brivers222
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
hoping its around in 36 days!!!

Noah's Helper
11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Sorry, Mufasa, I'm not buying it. That drawing in the patent doesn't look like Mickey Mouse at all.

:bolt:

frakers
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I honestly couldn't care less about the technology behind it but I would love to have a talking, interactive Mickey Mouse, as well as the other characters. My youngest son is totally blind and, while touching Mickey's nose is fun and all, it does kind of become the same thing over and over. The characters are all great with him and show him incredible attention but it's a somewhat empty experience for him. He has asked before why Mickey doesn't talk.

I've often hoped that Disney would cater to kids with vision disabilities. No, Disney isn't purely visual and he loves the excitment and sounds, but he does miss out on a lot that plays such a huge role in the Disney experience.

brivers222
11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Also, this could really speed up the lines... I felt bad last october because Mickey and Minnie were trying to get us to pose with them... and not only was it awkward trying to decipher what his gestures were trying to get us to do, it was time consuming. however, we have a "family photo" of the four of us that is amazing!!!

disneydementia
11-04-2011, 03:15 PM
If only Mickey could say, "Hey kid, you have to wait your turn just like everyone else!" Now that would be a good trick! HaHaHa!!!!! :cloud9:

Buttercup
11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Considering Mufasa is an Imagineer, I'm guessing he knows what technology that parks can and have used to do exactly this. My money's on him.

I'm by no means an expert. But I am married to a voiceover actor, and I imagine this is quite possible:

For instance, it could not make Pee Wee Herman's voice turn into James Earl Jones' voice.
Nor could it make James Earl Jones' voice turn into Pee Wee Herman's voice.
If PeeWee Herman could make his intonations and inflections the same, and pause in the same manner as James Earl Jones (with the only difference being the timber and baritone of JEJ's voice), a computer could easily take PeeWee and transform it into JEJ's voice.
For instance, I can pause and inflect my voice in the odd manor that William Shatner speaks (think: I'm doing an impression of him) but my voice will never be as deep as his. So, if I did my very best Captain Kirk, the computer could lower my voice to match his, and therefore I would come out sounding like him.

That's my guess anyway.
But regardless, I think this is great! My only concern is that my kids will say "How come Mickey can talk, but not Goofy?!?" We're always telling them that the characters are silent because they're saving their voices for a big singing show they're doing later in the day! :D

Noah's Helper
11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
If only Mickey could say, "Hey kid, you have to wait your turn just like everyone else!" Now that would be a good trick! HaHaHa!!!!! :cloud9:

I've seen Mickey say this pretty clearly using sign language. :thumbsup:

MickeysBestPal
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
As we found out from YouTube video, they did not use the voice-changing technology for the recent Mickey Mouse appearance at WDW.

The technology seen in the old 1994 patent does not work for the purposes of "creating" a realistic high quality voice of a well-known character like Mickey.