PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion: I Can't Take the Frustration!

MrPeetrie
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
The Haunted Mansion is our family's consensus favorite ride in all of WDW. It's probably because my DD8 LOVES that ride. We just returned from 11 WONDERFUL days in Disney. On our trip we managed at least five trips to the Magic Kingdom. Not full days, but we would find a way to get there at some point. For example, one day we went to the Hoop de Doo. Then, we took the boat ride back to the Magic Kingdom and took advantage of EMH until midnight. Another visit was the MNSSHP. On each visit, we rode HM at least once and on many days, two or more times. In all, about eight or nine rides this trip.
WE WERE NEVER ABLE TO RIDE THE COMPLETE RIDE WITHOUT STOPPING AT SOME TIME FOR "PLAYFUL SPOOKS" EVEN ONE TIME!
We went 0'fer the entire trip on a "clean ride." Once, our Doombuggy was stopped twice during the ride, as well as once just as we were about to board. On another ride, we were seconds away from exiting when we were delayed for about 15 minutes. The suspension of belief was removed on every visit. It was heartbreaking. Anyone else encountering this? Of was this just a bad-luck vacation?

MickeysBestPal
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
At lease a few of your stops may have been due to handicapped boarding and un-boarding.

darthmacho
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
On our 2010 trip, we experienced a lot of ride stoppages, most of which happened on Splash Mountain. I agree, it does take away from the experience. :(

Jasper
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
We must be the fortunate ones because out of our probably 100's of HM rides we have NEVER had a stoppage.

JasonH
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I've had a mix of both over the years. It does kinda take away from storytelling aspect of the ride when it has to be stopped. It's like the ride's way of saying, "Hey, the narrator can't be here all the time. He had to take a quick bathroom break." hehe BUT, I will say that it's at those times that I start really looking around at the scene I was stopped in, trying to take in as much of the details as possible b/c let's face it, you DON'T get many opportunities like that. So if you get stopped again, try looking at it at that perspective. You might learn to like getting stopped in the middle then. :)

SandmanGStefani24
10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
two of the last three times I've ridden it, the ride has "stopped temporarily". Before then it had never done so with me on it.

Still, I actually like stopping on it. It's like I get extra time on the ride...more than the average person. Plus more time to stop and look at the little details I might have missed. And on a hot day a nice little extra time cooling off!

Victor Kelly
10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
LAst trip, just on one time riding we were stopped 5 times for a few minutes each time. One of those times was about 10 minutes. Aggrivating to say the least.

But other times it stops for about a minute then resumes.

JROriole8Fan
10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I find your post unbelievable. Everyone who rides any ride anywhere has experienced delays, stoppages, etc. If this is all you experienced to ruin your trip, I think you should refocus on the millions of events that went well, relax and try to enjoy WDW.

Victor Kelly
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I dont recall anyone saying it ruined their trip. I think you are reading way too much into what people are saying.

But I guess here we go again:ack:

Disney4us2
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
:bat:Some of us playful spooks:ghost: love the Haunted Mansion as well:ghost:

honeebee86
10-31-2011, 11:41 AM
I find your post unbelievable. Everyone who rides any ride anywhere has experienced delays, stoppages, etc. If this is all you experienced to ruin your trip, I think you should refocus on the millions of events that went well, relax and try to enjoy WDW.

I don't think they said it ruined their trip, just kind of got in the way of immersing themselves in the storyline because of all the interruptions and just wanted to vent about the frustration of that. I too have been stopped more than usual on the HM and it does take away from the story if you are stopped for a while or in certain areas of the ride. I do agree it can be nice if you are able to take in more of your favorite scenes though. Once, it stopped 2-3 times in the graveyard scene and I hate those pop up things!!!!!!! Even though I know exactly when they will pop up, it still gives me a little scream LOL.

bdm@pga
10-31-2011, 12:01 PM
In all my trips...I have never been on the haunted mansion when it DIDN"T stop....

Mousemates
10-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Riding any ride eight times on a trip and having it break down each time would certainly be an annoyance to most folks and the accumulative effect of those breakdowns is likely worthy of others being tolerant of a bit of hyperbole in the OP's rant.

On a side note, the HM is actually the one of the rides where I enjoy an occasional breakdown ---for if they are in the right spots they give you time to look at small details you might otherwise miss and of course the chance to search for some always fun to find hidden mickeys.

BrerGnat
10-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Riding any ride eight times on a trip and having it break down each time would certainly be an annoyance to most folks and the accumulative effect of those breakdowns is likely worthy of others being tolerant of a bit of hyperbole in the OP's rant.

More than likely, the majority of the OP's stops on HM were for loading/unloading purposes. This happens on every continuous moving ride at WDW. People with motility issues need extra time to get on and off, hence the ride needing to be stopped for safety.

I can see how being stuck for over 5 min at a time would be an annoyance, especially if it happened very often. However, I do not think the OP has a realistic idea of how the continuous moving rides have to function. This happens on Spaceship Earth all the time too.

OP, sorry you came away frustrated. However, it's sort of par for the course on that ride. Like most people, this is one ride where I do not mind being stopped. It's cool, dark, and the seat is comfy! :thumbsup:

DVC2004
10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
I have enjoyed teh extra few minutes in the ballroom scene- I like to look all over and try to see if I notice anything I hdan't before. But yes, several stops do take away. I don't think there is anything they can do about it most of the time since as others have mentioned, it's mostly due to helping those with mobility issues get on/off.

Ian
10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Because it's an Omnimover attraction a lot of HM's stops are due to loading/unloading guests who require additional time to board.

It's funny ... I actually really like when this ride stops, because it gives me more time to check out all the details of whatever scene we're in. I get a bit disappointed when we don't get stuck. ;)

Fangorn
10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I can't remember the last time I rode HM and there wasn't a stop. It's so common, in fact, that we make a game out of it and try to guess exactly where we'll be when it stops. We consider it a major win when we get stopped while going downhill backward into the graveyard!!! :mickey:

Steve

Butters
10-31-2011, 02:06 PM
I don't think I've ever had a non-stop ride either... Never let it get to me though, just makes a longer ride in the A/C :mickey:

dnickels
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Disney has changed their boarding/unboarding policy a bit recently with HM so that may result in more stops for loading and unloading guests with mobility issues.

Both of my legs are paralyzed below the knee but I can get around some with a walker or lofstrand crutches. In the past I'd been allowed to just fold the walker up and put it in the ride vehicle without even having to stop the moving walkway. The current way they do things however is to take the walker (or other assistive device) from you when you board and then it's waiting outside the archway at the exit. That works great at a ride like Spaceship earth where the cast members at the exit have a system for knowing which ride vehicle needs the assistive device (they're usually bringing it to me before the door has even opened and without me saying a thing), but they haven't figured it out at HM yet. When I get to the end the CM usually asks me to please exit the vehicle a few times and I have to tell them that I can't walk one foot with two paralyzed legs, let alone 30 to get to where they put my walker (I promise I say it nicely :D)

When I called Disney to ask why the change had happened, they said people with canes/crutches/walkers were somehow managing to drop them during the ride and that was resulting in longer stoppages because a CM had to be sent into the particular scene to retrieve it. Not sure that really passes the "seriously?" common sense test, but it's what they said.

So in short, more stoppages for mobility issues due to the new policy is probably what you're noticing.

MrPeetrie
10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

No one said it ruined our vacation. In fact, in my second sentence I state we spent 11 WONDERFUL days in Disney.

My comment was regarding riding our favorite ride at least eight or nine times and not getting a clean ride once. It became a game my daughter and I played regarding getting through ride without stopping.

Ian
10-31-2011, 06:41 PM
We consider it a major win when we get stopped while going downhill backward into the graveyard!!! :mickey:

SteveOMG, us Disney Nerds are so funny sometimes ... We do the exact same thing!!!

In fact, it stems from one of my earliest Disney memories ever. I was five (my first trip) and riding with my Aunt. We got stuck there tipped backwards and I guess at first I freaked out a bit, but my Aunt made a game out of it and I started thinking it was really cool.

Ever since I've always gotten ridiculously excited when I got stuck there.

I'm a dork ... right here ... yep! :mickey:

texas211
10-31-2011, 07:57 PM

I'm sure what was ruined was the experience/magic on the ride. I too don't really enjoy the HM as it stops a lot, for varying length. Plus i assume if i board, i'll have to listen to the HM music for at least 15-20 minutes extra. I think combination of the handicap and faulty maintenance, plus some stupid riders, generally cause a lot of issues. Though HM was really unbearable. I really don't like riding anymore.

Renfairwedding
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I have enjoyed the extra few minutes in the ballroom scene- I like to look all over and try to see if I notice anything I hdan't before.

:ditto:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Glad to know that I'm not the only one that actually enjoys when this particular ride stops.

Disney Hungarian
10-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I would like to publicly apologize to anyone I may have inconvenienced by having to stop the HM ride to load my mom. I would also like to thank all of the others for chiming in on how you like the ride stoppages. :thumbsup: Yall made my day!

SandmanGStefani24
11-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Glad to know that I'm not the only one that actually enjoys when this particular ride stops.

unless I'm on a thrill ride or coaster, I think the stops are fun! Like I said earlier, if on a dark ride I see them as bonus time or time to take in more of the details. I guess it's because I have been more than a few times and am into the little details more than the experience at times.

TheVBs
11-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I can understand the OP's frustration, no need for anyone to judge them harshly on it. On our last trip (10 days) we rode HM several times, it's one of our DD7's favorites. :mickey: We experienced stops every time except one. Since we'd never experienced that kind of frequency before we were a bit puzzled to say the least. DH was the one who figured out that it was likely for guests needing assistance. Knowing what was going on made it a lot less annoying. We were never stopped for more than a couple minutes and we also took advantage of the time to take in the details, but if you don't know why the ride is always stopping it can leave you puzzled.

PopPhan
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I can understand the OP's frustration, no need for anyone to judge them harshly on it. On our last trip (10 days) we rode HM several times, it's one of our DD7's favorites. :mickey: We experienced stops every time except one. Since we'd never experienced that kind of frequency before we were a bit puzzled to say the least. DH was the one who figured out that it was likely for guests needing assistance. Knowing what was going on made it a lot less annoying. We were never stopped for more than a couple minutes and we also took advantage of the time to take in the details, but if you don't know why the ride is always stopping it can leave you puzzled.

I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but they made it clear that they are experienced visitors. Short stoppages for loading/unloading those who are not as able as we are is not only expected, it is often welcomed. It is one of the major reasons Disney Parks, in general, and Walt Disney World, in particular, are some of the most cherished and visited venues in the world.

I would like to publicly apologize to anyone I may have inconvenienced by having to stop the HM ride to load my mom. I would also like to thank all of the others for chiming in on how you like the ride stoppages. :thumbsup: Yall made my day!

Please do NOT feel the need to apologize to anyone!! It is a pleasure to know that your mom, as well as all other mobility challenged visitors, are given every opportunity to enjoy all that the parks have to offer. It is no inconvenience to know the smiles and warm feelings that Disney Parks, and Walt Disney World specifically, can bring to ALL visitors!

Fangorn
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm a dork ... right here ... yep!

Really!?! I don't think I would've ever guessed that!!!!

Yet another reason I like you, Ian. (More likely the root cause, actually) :mickey:

Steve

LVT
11-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I do not have mobility issues, but I find this ride a challenge to board.
I love to stop, I cannot catch any details in the dim light while moving.

Melanie
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I know I've said this before, but I love going slower through the Bride room. Love it, and so many details that can't be picked out when you speed through.

I welcome the slow downs!

Goes4FastPass
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
So you went to WDW and rode the Haunted Mansion 8 times in one trip and came away with "I Can't Take the Frustration"?

We once got stopped while overlooking the wedding dining room scene. Finally enough time to see all of it.

And yes, my understanding is the stopping is often cause by a guest needing extra time to board or exit. Isn't "playful spooks" less illusion breaking and less embarassing than, "there's a wheelchair kid getting on so we're going to pause the ride."?

I hope all of my future frustrations while being a guest at WDW are are severe as pauses during 8 rides at the Haunted Mansion.

Hazmat
11-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Funny this topic should arise, Just got back from Disneyland Paris and there version, (Phantom Manor), was continually bieng stopped. It does start to get a little tiring when you stop twice whilst passing the ballroom scene. lol

LauraByTheSea
11-02-2011, 07:00 PM
OMG, us Disney Nerds are so funny sometimes ... We do the exact same thing!!!

In fact, it stems from one of my earliest Disney memories ever. I was five (my first trip) and riding with my Aunt. We got stuck there tipped backwards and I guess at first I freaked out a bit, but my Aunt made a game out of it and I started thinking it was really cool.

Ever since I've always gotten ridiculously excited when I got stuck there.

I'm a dork ... right here ... yep! :mickey:

Ha! Us too... Loved getting stuck backwards... :thumbsup: All in all love getting stuck on rides anyway.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Loved getting stuck backwards

This is the only place that getting stopped terrifies DD. Anywhere else and we turn into the Disney geeks that we are and look at all of the details.

But there, something about hanging backwards that just drives her crazy.

Dsnygirl
11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't mind... I'd rather get stuck ON a ride and get to look around and relax than get stuck in the queue, or worse -- get all the way up to the loading area and be told the ride is going down. :( We've had ghosts mess up our ride just about every time we're on, we've come to expect it.... but the wait is never more than a few minutes, it happens in a different spot every time, and we love getting the chance to check things out in more detail. :hmghost:

(and we LOVE getting stuck going backwards, too!! :thumbsup:)

Victor Kelly
11-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Nobody that needs help getting around should be offering an apology. You have every right to experience the same thing as we that have no disability do.

The normal minute to 2 minute stoppage is no big deal. Sitting ther longer than that without knowing what is happening is what irks some people. And I have a firm belief that the longer stoppages are generally a mechanical issue, or some dolt that cannot behave right.

#1donaldfan
11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
We typically go in the hot summer months and stopping inside the airconditioned, dark, in a seated position....NAP TIME !! I love it !!:mickey:

Victor Kelly
11-04-2011, 11:06 AM
We typically go in the hot summer months and stopping inside the airconditioned, dark, in a seated position....NAP TIME !! I love it !!:mickey:

Are you speaking of Ellens Energy Adventure or HM:rotfl:

garymacd
11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I never considered it frustrating, inconvenient or ruining the magic. I knew it was probably loading or unloading someone with mobility issues. Since my beloved wife has in the past had mobility issues, we all understand and it doesn't bother us.

I usually take the opportunity to kiss my wife in the dark and as Dsnygirl says we love getting stuck going backwards, too, and to heck with the cameras.