PDA

View Full Version : Work vent

Dopey's Girl
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
I work in an office helping to administer 401(k) plans. It's by no means my dream job, but it pays the bills and we get a good number of days off (yeah for helping my Disney trip obsession) each year. For he most part I really like my coworkers, but there is one exception. She is manipulative, calls in sick at least once a week with migraines but then comes in and talks all about her shopping trips or lunches the day before, and is just in general a rotten person. Last week she went in to my boss and told her I'm not supportive enough of her work and that she wants me to apologize to her and to be nicer.
Now I'm not mean to this woman, but I generally steer clear of her just because it is easier and keeps me happier. We work in a stressful environment, especially 4th quarter, and now I have to go out of my way to be mushy sweet to this person who doesn't like me in the first place. Ugh. Just needed to vent to people who don't know who I am, since I am friends with lots of people I work with in real life. Thanks for reading! I feel better just getting it out there!

Aurora
10-31-2011, 09:25 AM
She sounds like any number of people I know who have to make sure that everything revolves around them; that they are the most important person in the room. They are adolescent, narcissistic and manipulative, and for some reason they can pull the wool over the eyes of very rational people.

I think the "steer clear" philosophy is a good one, but if that's impossible, and your boss is making you go out of your way to be "mushy sweet," then overdo it. Entertain yourself, but make sure there's nothing she can complain about because you're always "supportive" and there for her.

I would also make sure you document anything she does that makes your job harder, or that impacts you, with dates and times (not on the company computer). Then at least if anything more does happen, you'll have evidence to back up your version of events.

Dopey's Girl
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
I did it (still not happy about it) and at first she was nice about it, but then it became all about how she's always the victim. I told her I was sorry she felt that way, but I wished she would have come to me directly we could have solved the problem without getting anyone else involved. She didn't like that, and hasn't spoken to me since. I did what I was told, I can't make her be any nicer, so I'm steering clear now...

I'm so happy it's over...I need some Halloween Candy now!