PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn- Do or Don't???

steph436
10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello! My family and I will be in WDW in 148 days...trip is booked and ADR's have been made. BUt now I am conflicted. After reading reviews of San Angel Inn restaurant, I am not sure if it will be worth our TS credit. We have enjoyed this restaurant in the past but readers are stating the food is subpar. Can anyone offer an opinion?:confused:

faline
10-29-2011, 03:54 PM
This seems to be one of the places where folks either like or or don't. I've enjoyed it when I've eaten there but have also read negative reviews from other diners.

Awesome_guy
10-29-2011, 04:42 PM
We enjoyed San Angel very much our last visit; as you'd know from previous visits, the atmosphere is very unique... something difficult to match anywhere else. We enjoyed our meals very much. Admittedly, the place seemed a little overwhelmed by crowds our night but I think that's luck of the draw.

buzznwoodysmom
10-29-2011, 07:01 PM
We had a lovely meal there back in June of 2010. We only ordered soup, apps, and dessert, and the kids shared a kid's meal, but everything we had was great.

Tigerinvestigator
10-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Always enjoyed San Angel Inn. We ate there in March of this year and it was great as always. We actually really enjoy the food which is alot different than our "Tennessee TexMex" chains. The atmosphere is what sets it apart from other places to eat. We always get a table on the water (even if we have to wait longer) and we always eat at lunch which is usually less crowded!:thumbsup:

cer
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
We stayed away for a long time b/c of negative reviews, but tried it for the first time in Sept and really had a lovely time and enjoyed the food and just everything, but there are others who just don't like it.

We don't cared for Sci Fi, others do.

:confused:

Truly a matter of personal preference.

I hope you have a great experience, whatever you decide.

HackLaSalle
10-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I went to san angel inn december of last year as my restaurant with the candlight processional package. The food was incredible. They treated us like we had the deluxe dining plan. We received apps and just terrific service. Ill agree with an earlier poster this is NOT chain restaurant texmex. Its different and from what ive read closer to authentic. Plus how can you beat eating inside a ride? I would put this on my do list.

DisneyFr33k
10-30-2011, 08:21 AM
We went many years ago - our table was crammed should to shoulder next to another. Our server was non-existent. No refills. Food bland. Needless to say, we've not gone back. But, that was several years ago. They might have changed for the better. The kids did enjoy going on the boat ride while waiting for the food to arrive (once they freed themselves from our tight seating).

wildernesslady
10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
We just tried LaHacienda and liked it better. We had it timed great and were able to watch Illuminations. You may want to try this instead.

A Big Kid
10-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I can take it or leave it but since my wife enjoys it so much, we usually go every trip.

Cons:
* very VERY tight seating arrangements. "neighbors" tables are right on top of yours. Barely enough room to scoot your chair in and out.
* The ratio of food to the money you spend is probably the worst on WDW property. Everywhere else, my wife and I usually spit an entree and have plenty to eat.
*entrees seem very expensive

Pros:
*Great atmosphere with the volcano, darkness, and the ride passing through
*Food is very tasty

Patricia
10-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I've only had a bad experience and maybe it was because it was the week before Christmas and busy. We were seated (very tightly) asked if we wanted a drink.. waiter hovered as we quickly scanned a menu. He returned with drinks, took our food order and was back in less than 10 minutes with our food. Obviously everything was ready to serve and not fresh.. sadly it tasted as such. We declined dessert and were given our bill. 25 min! Seriously? We had no time to soak up the atmosphere, have a second drink or relax before being pushed out for the next guy. I was disappointed and my "foody" partner (this was his first time eating in a WDW table service restaurant) refused to eat in another park TS restaurant again that trip, saying we'd only pay quick service prices for quick service food.

The end result.. for our actual Christmas day dinner in WS, we relaxed (away from the very crowded restaurants) on a sunny patio with a glass of french wine and shared a delicious turkey leg, followed by a dessert of WDW's finest funnel cake! :D

darthmacho
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I like the food at San Angel Inn. I recommend the mole poblano, Dos Equis beer, and the flan for dessert, and don't forget to get a side of guacamole with dinner!

There's always a chance with any restaurants that the critics will be right on any given occasion, but I like to form my own opinion. It sounds like you've enjoyed it in the past. Good news is Mexico has a new alternative in La Hacienda. You could try getting an ADR there if you're really unsure? :sombrero:

steph436
10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! We have decided to keep our reservation based on our previous experiences at San Angel Inn. I appreciate everyone reminding us of our great past visits!

lighteningqueen
10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
I do not know how Alabama Mexican food is compared to Texas but this place was horrible.. The worst meal we ever ate.. Just not worth the credits or the money in our opinion. Taco Bell is way better.. Chilis is more Mexican than this place. Mushy crowded, cold food, dark, .. It seems northerners like this place which the North doesn't eat real or Mexican food like the south does. I am from New Mexico well grew up there and thats real Mexican food..If its during free dining try it but I would never pay for that again out of pocket. If its free do it then you will go somewhere else later and pay out of pocket for something good.. Just our opinions and that is 12 of us.

ElenitaB
10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
I have always compared the food served at San Angel Inn to that which I've eaten during (many) visits to Mexico City (and not the touristy areas but the areas family and work colleagues would take me to). It's not Tex-Mex or even Southwestern Mexican food... it's totally different and as far from Taco Bell as one can get.

Again, as many have said, there's a wide variety of opinions on SAI... the best way to figure out if you like it or not, is to go and see for yourself. (That said, I've never gotten sick from eating there, and that's a win in my book. :blush: )

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Was looking at this one for our June 2012 trip. I would LOVE it, but since my wonderful daughter, for whom this trip is a graduation gift, HATES Mexican/TexMex/ etc....so no S.A. Inn for us.

Gator
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
It all depends on where you live. I live in area of CA where there's a mexican restaurant on every corner, so I get authentic and very tasty food from these folks. If you're in area where there's lots of authentic food, then you'll hate San Angel. The service there is so poor, along with the food (for me), that the beautiful ambience of the pavillion couldn't overcome it. Now, if you don't get good mexican food where you're at, then you'll probably like San Angel's food.

RAIDER
11-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Weve been twice for lunch and enjoyed it on both occasions ,my only gribble is that the dining ares is a tad dark in there for when your reading the menus ,but the atmosphere is great its worth a peek :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-02-2011, 08:12 AM
If you enjoyed it in the past, chances are you'll still like it...I'd keep the ressie

CanadaLovesDisney
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
We love it! Mmmm complimentary nachos and salsa!
Never had a dish we didn't like at San angel inn!

Disney Doll
11-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I also think it tends to be a regional thing. We are lucky enough to have our choice of several really good, authentic , family owned Mexican restaurants at home so our expectations are a bit higher. It's not that San Angel is necessarily bad, it's just not as good and it's way more expensive than what we have at home. The atmosphere is second to none though. It's never on the top of my list, but I don't hate it. If you've tried it before and you like it, that's all that matters.

artyboy
11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
We used to love it, but the last 2 meals there put me off. The tortilla chips were from a bag, not fresh. I asked if they had a hotter salsa, and was told nobody ever wanted it so they stopped serving it. Food came out so quickly that you know it was prepared and sitting in the kitchen who knows how long ago, pre-made and waiting to go. The seating capacity seemed to have doubled...tables were so close together one would wonder if they are breaking fire code laws. Honestly, getting up to use the restroom required asking the rather large man sitting with his back to me to get up so I could my chair out...and I'm a little guy.

If we ever return, I may just do apps and a :marg: and call it a day.

A Big Kid
11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
We used to love it, but the last 2 meals there put me off. The tortilla chips were from a bag, not fresh. I asked if they had a hotter salsa, and was told nobody ever wanted it so they stopped serving it. Food came out so quickly that you know it was prepared and sitting in the kitchen who knows how long ago, pre-made and waiting to go. The seating capacity seemed to have doubled...tables were so close together one would wonder if they are breaking fire code laws. Honestly, getting up to use the restroom required asking the rather large man sitting with his back to me to get up so I could my chair out...and I'm a little guy.

Sadly, you described it to a T.

WDW84
11-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Our party of 10 had lunch at SAI just last week and we thought it was great! I am definitely not an expert on Mexican cuisine but it was far from Taco Bell. Everything we had was very tasty - chips and salsa were fresh, margaritas were quite good. The deserts were also awesome - I recommend the bavarian cream with fresh berries. Our server was also wonderful - all in all a great experience. I would definitely eat there again. :thumbsup:

Jared
11-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm from New York, which I know disqualifies me from discussing Mexican food, but I actually like San Angel. I'm not suggesting San Angel serves world-class Mexican or even rivals the taco joint on any street corner in the Southwest, but I think the fantastic atmosphere and serviceable food add up to a worthwhile dining experience.

Generally, I think lunch is a better option than dinner there.

princessgirls
11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
We had a great meal here in August. I was not very optimistic, but made the ADR because our 9 year old really wanted to eat here.

The food, drinks, service and atmosphere were all excellent.

A pleasant surprise!!

Not the case with our meal at Tutta Italia...what a disappointment!

Julie:mickey:

Buttercup
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
We like their lunch menu better than the dinner menu. We're going again the next time we're there!

SBETigg
11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
We used to love it, but the last 2 meals there put me off. The tortilla chips were from a bag, not fresh. I asked if they had a hotter salsa, and was told nobody ever wanted it so they stopped serving it.

The chips are now made on premises, but the salsa leaves something to be desired. We've always had good meals and service at San Angel Inn. This is one place that gets very mixed reviews. I think you need to try it for yourself to see how you feel. There's always a risk factor. I've gone to restaurants that everyone seems to love and had bad experiences, and I've been to places that seem to get constantly zinged and had great meals. You just never know.

MouseHouser
11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I love the San Angel Inn, yet I admit the food is probably average.

We find the atmosphere enchanting, with the faux evening sky above (which my mom fell for) and the "outdoor" setting. Also, really enjoyed the mango margaritas.

I'm a big fan of mexican food, so if it's decent, the setting is exotic, and service not bad, count me in. This place is on my sort list of faves.

ANG
11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
We plan to eat there next year. We went into Mexico after dark last November and were blown away with how beautiful the atmosphere was. We want to try it for that alone!

LudwigVonDrake
11-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Last July I had the best tacos that I've ever eaten at the San Angel Inn. Delicious! :tasty: