PDA

View Full Version : Taping of Christmas Parade

sneezyone
10-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I seem to remember reading a few years ago that the Christmas parade the broadcast on TV Christmas Morning was actually taped a week or two ahead of time.

Is this true? and if so, is there anyway to know when?

This is my first Christmas without my mom and we are hoping to make it to the House of Mouse to try to start a new tradition and lesson some of the pain.

It would mean the world to me if we could see them tape the parade.

Thanks in advance.

Katzateer
10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
My daughter was in the parade last year and we have been to tapings in past years. It isn't all done at one time. Taping starts the first week of December.

Katzateer
10-28-2011, 11:18 PM
We got to see Mariah Carey and Ryan Seacrest last year

mydisneygirls
10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
It is taped ahead of time and from what I remember being there once in December, it was a few weeks before. I'm sure if you call Disney, they can tell you definitely when. So sorry about the loss of your mom. It has been 11 years since I lost my mine and cherish all the memories of holidays with her. Hope you have a great time!!

Strmchsr
10-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Every year the Christmas parade is taped the first weekend of December. This year it will tape December 2-4. Usually they tape the music acts in front of the castle on Friday, the parade itself on Saturday, and make-up shots on Sunday.

Now, be warned this is not one parade they are taping. For instance, on Saturday they run one float through, then back it up and run it again and continue until they're done. Then they start with the next float. Same with the music acts. They film the band, then the dancers, then, after a while, they bring out the music act. So, it's actually fairly boring watching the taping. On top of that, the last 3 years they've made folks sign up to be part of the taping. You have to agree to work a "shift" (like 8-12) and stay in the crowd the entire time. Everyone not signed up to be in the crowd is shunted around Main St to the back of the park. MK is often NUTS on parade taping days because those working a shift get in free. So, many locals will come work a shift then stay in the park the rest of the day.

AllDisney
10-29-2011, 09:05 AM
We avoid MK on filming days. For the last few years we have been going the first weekend in Dec & just go to the other parks. It works fine for us.

Sorry about your loss but the memories will live on.

disneymom15
10-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks strmchsr for the heads up. We've been there in previous years for the taping and have always avoided MK on those days. I totally forgot about the X-mas parade, will have to make other park plans for those days.

Emsparents
10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. We are going down for a surprise trip for our daughter for 4 days in the parks. Still trying to decide how to break up the days. We have decided we are only doing MK and Epcot, want to see the Santas in World Showcase, and we have MVMCP tiks for Sunday evening. So not sure whether to do MK on Friday, Epcot Sat and Sun, head to MK Sun afternoon for party, then close out our trip in MK on Monday. Any thoughts or advice is MUCH appreciated. Not used to have so few days but this is a last minute surprise and we are going in with open minds and trying some things we have not done. Staying at CSR, never stayed there, and also trying a couple of restaurants we have not tried. We did get Le Cellier ressies though so my wife is thrilled, it is her favorite place to dine.

Strmchsr
10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
So not sure whether to do MK on Friday, Epcot Sat and Sun, head to MK Sun afternoon for party, then close out our trip in MK on Monday.

In general, Friday isn't too bad. If they do it this year as they have past years, they'll just be doing the music acts, which means the area around the castle and Partners statue is nuts, but the rest of the park is okay. It's really Saturday that you absolutely should avoid MK.

sneezyone
11-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It's going to be rough, but I'm hoping starting a Disney tradition Will help.

I'll be there that weekend :mickey:

scooterca42
11-11-2011, 11:08 AM
If one wanted to be there for a shift, how does one do that?

Strmchsr
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
If one wanted to be there for a shift, how does one do that?

They haven't announced that. In some previous years it's been open to anyone, but in other years it's only been open to Florida residents or passholders. So, it changes year to year. If they post anything I'll post back here to give the info.

scooterca42
11-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Excellent, thank you!