PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treat

Disney4us2
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
:mpumpkin:With Halloween :ghost:just a few days away. I thought it would be fun to see what candy will be given out for the Trick or Treaters. Or what costume(s) are your kids going to be.:witch:

For us, as far as the candy. I still need to buy it, but I like to get the Milky Way, Baby Ruth, plain hershey bars, and other non chocolate types of candy.:blackcat:

Jessica went to a party yesterday dressed up as a sorceress.:bat: I think that is what she will be for Halloween night. We have a church Halloween party tonight with Trunk or Treating. I will be wearing a Disneyland Halloween T shirt with my Halloween Minnie ears. They sport a candycorn hat and candycorn earings dangling from the ears. I have retired my Mrs. Potts costume for the time being. It is just too bulky, but ohhh so cute.

So what are your favorites candy and costume wise?:mpumpkin:

buzznwoodysmom
10-28-2011, 02:05 PM
We live in a farily big neighborhood, plus lots of people from the area tend to come to our neighborhood to trick or treat so I need lots of candy. I just picked up several large bags of candy at Target yesterday. I got two huge bags of the mixed tootsie roll candies, a large bag of "cheap" candy (bubble gum, now and laters, suckers, smarties), and then I got 3 or 4 large bags of the good stuff, all different kinds of chocolate candies; M&Ms, snickers, twix, kit kat, reeces, whoopers, hershey's, skittles, and starburst. I think that's about it. I also have some halloween trinkets, like bubbles, spider rings, small coloring books, pencils, stuff like that.

My oldest always throws something together at the last minute. Who knows what he'll end up as. My youngest is dressing up as a pirate. I'll be handing out candy and usually dress up with a witch hat and halloween tshirt. This year I got a cute Mickey Minnie Halloween tshirt. I'll wear that with jeans. DH doesn't do costumes.

disneymom15
10-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Milkyways, butterfingers, peanut butter cups.

Georgesgirl1
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
My older son (almost 3) is going to be a knight, younger son (9 months) will be a dragon, I am going to be a princess, and I am *trying* to talk DH into being a king. I have to go buy candy the day of or DH will eat it all!

Kairi_7378
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
My son (3) is going to be a shark. He will, if asked, sing the Jaws theme while in the costume. (He hasn't seen the movie, I promise!)

We bought Reese's, Kit Kats, Butterfingers, and for some reason I bought Skittles. For some reason I thought I had to buy a nut free option. Might send those into his class.

jmj18
10-28-2011, 10:44 PM
My son (3) is going to be a shark. He will, if asked, sing the Jaws theme while in the costume. (He hasn't seen the movie, I promise!)

We bought Reese's, Kit Kats, Butterfingers, and for some reason I bought Skittles. For some reason I thought I had to buy a nut free option. Might send those into his class.

Those of us with peanut allergy children THANK YOU!

:mickey:

Niecyboo
10-29-2011, 01:05 AM
We get about 350 kids at our house each year. I used to buy chocolate, but now I just get one really big bag of the "good stuff", (Snickers, M&Ms and Skittles) then a couple really big bags of cheaper stuff (mostly Pixie sticks and gum)

My son's costume has been almost impossible this year. He and his friend made up a comic book hero and he decided he wanted to go as THAT this year. It's a "Food Ninja" that uses food for weapons. And he wanted the exact food his comic book character used (spaghetti rope, chocolate milk laser and cookie "stars"). I finally ended up buying a ninja costume and talked him into using what I could make/find for the weapons. So he has a licorice whip, 4 carrot "swords" on a sling over his back and a couple of banana knives. Licorice is real. The other items are plastic fruit.

My girls were easier. My 14 year old is going as a hobo, and my 17 year old is going as a mermaid. A group are having their "last time as kids" by dressing as Peter Pan characters and she has a mermaid costume already made out of an old homecoming dress.

Tink1
10-29-2011, 01:32 AM
We live on a rural road that is a 2.5 mile horseshoe shape off the "main" road, so we only get the kids that live up here, about 20-30.

I just made up the goodie bags:

Pretzels
Cowtails
Pumpkins Seeds (the old Indian head brand ones!)
Butterfinger Snack Size
Nestle Crunch Snack Size
Candy Necklace.

Usually I do full size candy bars and decided to switch this year. The full size bars are easier than packing up bags.

The ToT parade is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon (we do not have sidewalks or street lights). We block of the horseshoe at the main road and the kids go around together from the meeting point. (Dads with big trucks wont let you through, come back later:thumbsup:)

However, we are supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow starting early this morning. I think it may be delayed!

Nanc

VWL Mom
10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
We live in what the kids call *low yield" neighborhood so we don't get trick or treaters. :(
Too many hills!

We did the trunk or treat when they were young, I thought it was a wonderful idea and we always had a big turnout.

This year DS19 had a costume party at college and I made him a Pooh costume complete with fluff. Easy, quick, and inexpensive :mickey:

DS16 had a halloween party here so we went with the favorites:

Kit Kat bars, Peanut Butter Cups, and M&M's.

disney obsessed
10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
The candy that is not my favorite. That way, we have some when the little creatures come to the door!

Tink1
10-29-2011, 08:02 PM
It was a first here for Trick or Treat. They did it on snowmobiles and sleds!

Good times Good times

Nanc

DVC2004
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Well, our trick or treat was last night and it was cold and rainy. We bought several bags- rees'es PB cups, full size tootsie pops, a variety bag with twix and others, and heath bars. LOL all happen to be candy we like. Unfortunately we only got about 10 -15 kids due to the bad weather. My kids decided last minute to go and came back soaked but got a good share. Too bad it wasn't tonight as it's now clear with no rain.

BrerGnat
10-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I got two bags of candy from Costco. One of the chocolate mix and the other of sugary candy mix. It's all good stuff! I hope we get a LOT of trick or treaters! :blush:

My boys are going as the Super Mario Brothers, Mario and Luigi. It's fitting because their M and L letter hats correspond to each of their real name initials. :D My little guy would LOVE for me to dress up as Princess Peach, but I don't do costumes. :secret:

Jim&AngieMarriner
11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
So we had our trick or treat last night. We gave out the good stuff. Bite size candy bars and Resses Cups. No cheap candy from us.

The best costume I saw last night was a Snow White.... Worn by a 17 year old boy. I have to admire his courage. Normally we dont give candy to teenagers, we feel they are to old. I mean really, if you shave, you dont trick or treat. But this kid was fearless and having a blast. I took a picture of him and posted it on facebook. I would share it but I think that it might be against the rules so I wont. But he was hilarious.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Reese's cups

diz_girl
11-01-2011, 10:47 AM
DS4 went as Super Why - from the PBS Kids reading show. DS10 months was a pumpkin but didn't go out last night.

We recently moved from NJ where we lived in a neighborhood with sidewalks to a house in MD on a country road. There are no sidewalks and even though the speed limit is 30, the cars and pickup trucks usually are going about 50 mph, so it's unsafe for trick or treaters. So my DH drove my son to a nearby small neighborhood of McMansions and he went to the houses there. They were glad to see him, since no one else showed up before him and that was at 7:30 p.m. In the future we'll probably take him to my SILs new house, which is in a big and pricey development with lots of houses, townhomes and condos.

We actually give out the regular size bars (Snickers, MilkyWay, Twix, and 3 Musketeers), so DH got about 60 of them (in packs of 30 from COSTCO). But no kids showed up at all and the candy is mine :D I think that when the baby gets a little older (in about 4 years), we'll just go to WDW for Halloween (or at least close to Halloween) since there's no one coming to the door at our house.

We marched in the Newark, DE Halloween parade on Sunday and there was trick-or-treating at the stores on Main Street afterwards, so DS4 got some candy there too.

Just an aside - in our old neighborhood in NJ, they would start trick-or-treating early while we're at work. That was just odd. When I was a kid you go out after dinner when it gets dark. Guess what, they still do that in my old neighborhood in Feasterville, PA. My Mom told me last night that no one showed until 6:30 and then it was a constant stream of kids for about two hours, just like when I was a kid. Actually, before we moved out of Philly, we lived in a row home and would get pillowcases full of candy. We'd have to come home, dump out the candy on our beds and go back out a couple more times. Then my sis and I would give the Mounds and Almond Joy bars to my parents since we both hate coconut. Oh, the memories.

princessgirls
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Love my neighborhood!! Easy trick or treating! Sidewalks and lots of kids/families.

We have a tradition of going with our friends that live two blocks from us. We have had this tradition since our kids were babies...trick or treating here made us want to buy a home in this neighborhood, which we were able to do in 2007!!!

I put out a candy bowl on my steps with a nice sign to be kind and take a few treats...not the whole bowl! I feel bad we are never home for the other trick or treaters. I do assorted Hershey's and Willy Wonka. Kids love the Nerds and Laffy Taffy too!
Hope everyone had a nice Halloween! Now onto the Holiday Season!
Julie:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Kids too old to trick-or-treat and we decided that our KitKats, Reeces Cups, and York Peppermint Patties needed to be eaten in the dark while watching movies and not shared with the general public.