PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom on New Years Weekend?

Tigerinvestigator
10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey folks,

We've been to WDW for Christmas, Fourth of July, and other busy days over the years but never on New Years. This year, after thinking we would not get to go during the holidays, we found out DD14 will be playing in the Sunshine Classic Holiday Basketball Tournament in Daytona the week after Christmas, so we saw the opportunity to stay on after the tourney and spend a week at WDW with the kids. We got a pretty good deal at the Dolphin and we have our dining reservations taken care of. We realize we will be looking at possible record crowds and that doesn't really bother us as we plan to spend alot of time at the resort and enjoying our dining. My question for those of you who have been during that weekend is this: We will be arriving on Friday Dec. 30th and the Magic Kingdom is open until 3am. Is it worth us going to the MK at say midnight and staying til closing or will it be too ridiculous even after midnight? Thought with temps possibly really cool that late it might give us an opportunity to ride a few rides?

MickeysBestPal
10-28-2011, 05:19 PM
We will be arriving on Friday Dec. 30th and the Magic Kingdom is open until 3am.

Is it worth us going to the MK at say midnight and staying til closing or will it be too ridiculous even after midnight? Thought with temps possibly really cool that late it might give us an opportunity to ride a few rides?

Yup.

That'll work.

bdm@pga
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM
good Luck!!! LAst New year's eve we couldn't get into MK...at 1:00 they closed the gates...we tried right up to 9 pm and still id not get there..went to EPCOT..Awesome party!!

Mousemates
10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
we have done new years at WDW the last five years and love it....super, super, crazy busy though... and the busy lasts til after midnight....so be forewarned.

Tigerinvestigator
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yep we know the crowds will be unbelievably crazy and we are still really excited. There is absolutely nothing we haven't done or that we have to do this trip so no pressure. Just curious about the night of the 30th which is not actually New Years Eve, and how bad it will be from midnight to 3 a.m.

Aurora
10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Those are a few of the highest-attendance days of the year. The Magic Kingdom routinely closes early in the day, often before noon, due to crowd capacity from Dec. 28 to Jan. 1. It sometimes reopens as people leave, but sometimes not. Other parks keep their gates open later. To get an idea of what these crowds look like, Google the dates at MK and look for images. It's a true mob scene.

This on top of lots of reports of large crowds even during slow times of the year, and you can bet you will see something you've never seen before. :)

It sounds like you are pretty flexible, though, so if you're planning to visit the parks, make sure you have a hopper pass so you can flee... I mean, visit another park on the same day -- best bet is Animal Kingdom.

joonyer
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Never been at New Years, but we have family that has. Just be forewarned, as others have said, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get into MK unless you arrive early in the day, advisably before noon. If you get there at 1:00p.m. or later, there's a good chance you could be turned away because the park has reached capacity. Other parks are not likely to reach capacity though, MK is by far the most popular (and stays open the latest, or earliest I should say). Good Luck, be flexible and you'll Have Fun anyway.

Tigerinvestigator
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Yep I get the fact the MK will close during the first couple days of our trip. But are ya'll saying they won't let us in at Midnight? The park closes at midnight and emh's begin. I was under the impression as crowds begin to leave they will open the park back up to resort guests. We are only wanting to attend from Midnight until 3am. No way I'm staying at the MK all day and fighting record crowds. Anybody actually been there for emh's on Dec. 30th? We have other plans on New Years Eve which will avoid the parks.

joonyer
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I think you might be able to get in after midnight. But I wouldn't go on this trip with the feeling that it was a guaranteed. I don't know anyone who has tried specifically what you are asking about (not entering MK until midnight or later on New year's Eve or the day before). I suppose there is a chance it could still be at capacity even then, but someone who has tried or done it is likely to chime in before long. I would think your chances are better on Dec 30 than Dec. 31.