PDA

View Full Version : Beach or Yacht Club?

gaffz70
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
We have stayed at WL and Poly in the past and want to try a new hotel this year. I think my kids would love stormalong bay, so I figured we should go to the Beach Club Hotel. A friend recommended the Yacht Club - I hadn't considered it and I don't know why....so I figured I'd bring my dilemma here, since there is so much good advice here....

Beach or Yacht Club?

BugeyedMuggy
10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
As adults we find the YC to be a bit less hectic. If you have children I would recommend the BC. It is closer to the large pool and the theming is more appealing to the younger ones.

floridamom
10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Agree w/previous poster; we have tended to stay at YC without the kids, and BC with them.

The last time we were at BC, we were in the building all the way at the end, and there was a back exit that put you at super-close walking distance to Epcot's International Gateway--very nice!

SBETigg
10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I just got back from a stay at the Beach Club. We were two adults traveling without children. Our favorite resort is the Grand Floridian. We decided that we preferred the Yacht Club between the two, YC and BC. The Yacht Club is slightly darker, quieter, has a bar in the lobby. The Beach Club is brighter, louder, definitely more family-oriented, more casual.

If you have kids and the pool is a focus, I would choose Beach Club. It's also just a little closer to the Epcot International Gateway.

garymacd
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
We have never stayed at either, but I am loathe to recommend Yacht Club. We went in once to check it out, since we would like to try all the resorts eventually.

Just about everyone looked down their noses at us as if to ask, "What are you doing here?" Not CM's, but guests.

We are neither rich nor pretentious people, I have lived a very active life with hard physical , out-door jobs over the years, so my face has what I like to call "Character", but I consider my beloved wife to be quite pretty.

Maybe it was just me. Maybe it was an off-day. Maybe they felt sorry for my beloved.

BrerGnat
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
With kids, definitely Beach Club. It's just overall, more kid friendly, down to the sand castle framed art in the hallways! My boys loved it, it was their first hotel at WDW to stay at and we are returning in a couple months!

Beach Club is more convenient to Epcot, less than a 5 min walk to the IG. Beach Club is also closer to the section of the pool where the slide is. In addition, it's where the actual beach is, with swing seats, the movies on the beach, etc.

Yacht Club feels more formal. As my DH put it, "I feel like I need to be dressed up to go there." And, of course, that's not true, but you do get that vibe over there. When we ate breakfast there one morning at Captain's Grill, the ENTIRE lobby was full of "suits"; people there on business for a convention. Every single one of them was either on the phone, or on a laptop engaged in "business conversations." A few of them shot me the evil eye when my 2 little boys sat on the couch (nicely, I might add) next to them. They shot them, and then me, a dirty look and got up in a huff to move to another seat. Really unnecessary and rude. After that, I took them to the lobby shop because I felt that we were bothering people, and the CMs in the shop were so nice and friendly. I found it sad that I had to wait for our buzzer to go off while in the gift shop, and we couldn't even sit in the lobby. My kids, to be 100% honest, were not behaving badly. I don't tolerate that. They were 4 and 5 at the time.

That experience soured me from wanting to ever stay on the YC side of things. BC is where all the action is. YC is for the boring grown ups. ;)

gaffz70
10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, I feel better about picking the Beach Club!

It's funny, I think my dh would think he was out of place at the Yacht Club. When we stayed at the Poly, he swore that the monorails waited longer for the guests at the GF. And would always say it in his best "Thurston Howell" voice !!!

Yo Mickey!
10-25-2011, 12:34 PM
beach with kids, yacht without. still...i like being closer to the world showcase and the grand marnier slushies so i'd probably stay at beach under either scenario.

BugeyedMuggy
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I definately did not mean the YC is more snobby. We felt that way before we stayed there last Dec. Everyone there with and without children from the CM to the guests were warm and friendly. You can't go wrong with either. It just seems to us the BC is more geared to children due to the fact famlies love that pool.

RAIDER
10-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I would go for the BC only as it has Cape May on its doorstep myself, but both are as good as each other :thumbsup:

minnie-mouse
10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
If you stay at the Dolpin or Boardwalk hotel, can you go over to see the movie on the beach at YC&BC?

Yo Mickey!
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
If you stay at the Dolpin or Boardwalk hotel, can you go over to see the movie on the beach at YC&BC?

whenever we stay at boardwalk we walk over to see a movie at least one evening. my kids love it and they have no problem with it.

mom2Z&A
11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Stayed at BC last year with DH, DS13, DD7 at the time. Yacht Club does not have QS Dining - you have to go the BC for that.

Walked through Yacht Club - the atmosphere seemed "stuffy" and not very "kid friendly". I actually felt out of place there...and that was just walking through.

Beach Club with the kids would be the best way to go - IMHO.

Now this is not to diss the Yacht Club! I'm sure that it has many endearing qualities that others love. It just isn't me :blush:

ryca1dreams
12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Bump -

Reading these comparisons of Yacht CLub, more adult oriented vs. Beach Club being more kid oriented got me thinking. Of the Epcot area resorts, how does the Boardwalk Inn fit? Is it kind of its own thing?

minnie-mouse
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I dont think you can go wrong with either. Both are so nice and share the Stormalong bay pool. Great location to Epcot and walk to boardwalk.

pamickeys
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
kids - Beach
no kids-Yacht

BrerGnat
12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Bump -

Reading these comparisons of Yacht CLub, more adult oriented vs. Beach Club being more kid oriented got me thinking. Of the Epcot area resorts, how does the Boardwalk Inn fit? Is it kind of its own thing?

I stayed at the BWI in May with my sister. I don't think I'll return with my kids in tow. It's just not that kid friendly, really, at all. I mean, it's fun, but the decor is decidedly not for kids (it's a bunch of expensive and breakable looking china cabinets, antiques, etc.) The pool was okay, but I know my kids would be bored with it after staying at the Beach Club. FInally, the food options around the Boardwalk, while great for adults, are kind of "meh" for unadventurous kids.

You can enjoy the public spaces of the Boardwalk, the street performers, etc. no matter where you stay. I think, for my kids at least, the Beach Club is tops over any of the other Epcot area resorts. We're returning there in 3 days!

Jeri Lynn
12-13-2011, 06:11 AM
We have only stayed at the Beach Club but have gone over to the Yacht Club numerous times, it does seem like there are more families/kids at the Beach Club, this past early December the lobby was always busy and congested. The Yacht Club was much quieter.

gokatgo
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
We have stayed at Beach Club with kids - it is fantastic. Yacht Club seems more adult oriented although we have never stayed there.

Mogie
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Just got back from the Beach Club.
The Beach Club is nice, but very hectic. The lobby is usually crowded especially around meal times when the Cape May Cafe wait area spills into the lobby.

The Yacht club seems to be much more peaceful with a much older crowd. The two hotels are connected so you can easily walk to the next hotel in about 2 minutes to take advantage of the pools etc.

AgentC
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I have stayed at the Yacht Club twice, Beach Club once and Beach Club Villas once. All of the visits were with my children who are 3 and 6.

I like both resorts.

I agree that the Beach Club seems to have more families and a more hectic lobby. Cape May is a big draw and keeps the lobby hopping.Beach Club has a bit closer to Epcot as well as Stormalong Bay, the arcade and Beaches & Cream. It also has the CS restaurant. It's decor is lighter and airy than the Yacht Club. The standard views are more likely to look at a roof, parking or road.

Yacht Club does have convention guests and a darker, more elaborate decor. I have never felt out of place there with my children and believe me they are not angels while we are at Disney. :mickey: The cast members there have always been exceptionally nice to my children. It is a slightly longer walk than the Beach Club, but I find I am more likely to get a garden or quiet pool view at the Yacht Club. I also really like the room decor in the Yacht Club. For me, the Yacht Club has a slight edge.

I don't think I will try Boardwalk with my children simply because they love the Beach/Yacht Club locations and the pool so much that it doesn't make sense to try it out.