PDA

View Full Version : RnR vs. ToT

darthmacho
10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
I've always maintained that I like Rock'n Rollercoaster better than Tower of Terror, but recently I've been wondering why. If I break down the ride into it's different elements, ToT seems to win every category, then how come I still feel that RnR is a better experience?

Exterior/Facade: ToT As cool as the giant guitar and swirl of musical chords are, RnR is tucked away in a corner while ToT is arguably the most impressive and iconic structure in WDW after the castle and the ball literally looms over you from everywhere in the park.
Overall Theming/Backstory: ToT Neither is rooted in Disney originally, but I think the rich history and storytelling of Twilight Zone beats the aging, though iconic rock band.
Queue: ToT Possibly the best thing about ToT, that lobby is awesome.
Pre-show:ToT The creepy video telling the story is a little better than the studio scene, which I like too.
Second Queue: Even The Boiler Room is certainly well themed and creepy, but seeing the limos blast off heightens the anticipation!
Ride Vehicle: RnR Tough choice, because the service elevator is very cool, but that super stretch limo is pretty awesome!
The Ride/Interior Theming: ToT The ghostly story that plays out in ToT is better than the nighttime highway scene of RnR.
The Ride Itself: RnR I guess this would be the meat of the ride, and possibly the only relevant factor? In any case, both hurtle you through space, but I guess I prefer being hurtled forward to being hurtled down, but that's just me. I do like both.
Thrill Factor: Even
Gift Shop: ToT I think ToT clearly has better merchandise and a cooler gift shop.

This breakdown tells me ToT is the superior ride, but I still would choose RnR between the two. Go figure.

What do you think?

Gator
10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
After my first trip, all I could think about was getting back to RNR and experience that awesome take off. But after my second trip, and every trip after that, Tower of Terror has been my favorite (tied with Spalsh Mt).

With all the random drops, the fantasic Twilight Zone theming, and the the best queue at WDW, I have to lean towards ToT.

emerzmom
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I really enjoy both rides and like you have always thought I liked RnR more but when you break it down like you did I guess I would have to agree with you. I still like the "ride" of RnR best!
:mickey:
Julie

Hog
10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I love both rides, I am a rollercoaster guy... and my favorite ride ever is Millenium Force in Cedar Point. But ToT is better than RnR in my opinion because of the unpredictability of it. We rode it on our past trip 6 times and each time it was different. One time the end of the ride video began to play, then we shot back up and kept riding it was awesome. The RnR is the same ride everytime, I only got to ride it once this past trip because my DD wasn't big enough and my DW won't ride it without me. But once was enough for me this trip. I couldn't get enough of ToT!

joonyer
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I've always maintained that I like Rock'n Rollercoaster better than Tower of Terror, but recently I've been wondering why. If I break down the ride into it's different elements, ToT seems to win every category, then how come I still feel that RnR is a better experience? . . . . . .

This breakdown tells me ToT is the superior ride, but I still would choose RnR between the two. Go figure.

What do you think?

It's gotta be the ROCK 'N ROLL! :rocker::drummer::rocker::waycool:

AgentC
10-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Tower of Terror for me. I love coaster and RNR is cool but I guess for me not appreciable cooler than a lot of other coasters.

Tower of Terror just has more atmosphere to me. My favorite part of any thrill ride is that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you drop, so TOT wins every time.

HackLaSalle
10-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I love the sports casteresque breakdown of the rides by the OP. I think the real edge between the two rides lies in rerideability. And that goes hands down to ToT.

I have ridden RnR thrice. I enjoyed it. Its a great ride with a fun story but three times is enough. I dont feel the need to wait in line for it because I know the experience I am getting. I have no idea how many times ive been on ToT. Each time its a different experience. Each time I notice different details on the ride or in the queue. Its honestly in my mind the best theme park experience there is.

TinkerbellT421
10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Wow, that was an awesome way to see the rides broken down like that! I wonder why I enjoy RnR more than ToT now too. All I know is I secretly try to avoid riding ToT.....while RnR we ride every trip. ToT we have only riden twice in all our vacations. As every trip I look forward to (even though Im scared to death before it starts) riding RnR.....Interesting.

Maybe its because I am a huge Aerosmith fan and being able to listen to their music while riding somewhat distracts me enough to not be scared to death. lol

JROriole8Fan
10-25-2011, 11:29 AM
First, I think you think too much about this, it's Disney, a place to get away from everything. Second, everyone gets an opinion, and for us RnR clearly wins. To us, if you don't like the ride, none of the other stuff matters. So finally, I would say, enjoy what you like, save the comparative analysis for work!

c&d
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Although I really like both of them for me it comes down to the unpredictability of ToT. I love when you hear that final click and wonder if you're going up or going down. It's a game with DH and I as to which way we will go.

Mogie
10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I think I agree with just about everything. The theme, the decoration, the preshow and queue...everything in Tower of Terror is better. Not to say that RNR isn't cool too. The recording studio idea is great and well done. I think Aerosmith could be exchanged for just about any other legendary rock band. Maybe it was designed that way intentionally.
The rides themselves can't really be compared though. One is a fast drop ride, the other is a roller coaster. Tower of terror was absolutely terrifying the first time I rode. RNR was exhilirating and exciting. Love them both.

ThanxForNoticin
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Both are great rides. But if I ask myself the question - 'what if I have 30 minutes at DHS and no wait for one and only one attraction, where would I go?' My answer instantly goes to TOT. It's fun, unique, and unpredictable.