PDA

View Full Version : Myth or Fact?

CosmicRay
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
A friend that is a fellow Disney World nut like me, said her her DH does not like AK because it's always 10° - 15° hotter there than at any other park.

She said he found out from someone that the company MADE it that way. That they planted the trees from those countries to give it the proper affect, but also to make you feel like it's hotter like in those areas. She said the plants act like a canopy in a forest and it holds the humidity and warmth in.
So tell me, Truth? or Myth?

I am very skeptical, but if I'm wrong, then I learned something new.

Scar
10-21-2011, 05:01 PM
So tell me, Truth? or Myth?Yes. :yes:

CosmicRay
10-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes Truth?
or Yes Myth?

Scar
10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes :yes:

Strmchsr
10-21-2011, 05:04 PM
10-15 degrees? No. That's completely false. For details check post #3 in this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186194) for all the research I did on that subject. They do use authentic plants and those plants do play a part in the way the climate of the park feels, but not that much.

badkitty
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes :yes:

Bad, bad kitty! :D

darthmacho
10-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I think they set their weather machine about 15 degrees too high in all the parks. And the rain, there's entirely too much rain. :D

joonyer
10-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I think they set their weather machine about 15 degrees too high in all the parks. And the rain, there's entirely too much rain. :D

Yep, too much rain, but that's what you get when you are in central Florida. On the other hand, the parks are also able to be enjoyed all year round. No winter shutdown. For less rain, visit in the winter.

mydisneygirls
10-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I've posted an answer to this many times. Knew someone who was in the Tarzan show years back and we asked why it was sooooo hot. He told it was because they purposely make it that way. So it is a FACT!!! :mickey:

brianlw71
10-22-2011, 12:50 AM
I read it on the internet so it HAS to be true.:cool:

kakn7294
10-22-2011, 02:52 AM
I read it on the internet so it HAS to be true.:cool:Absolutely! If it's on the web, it's gotta be true!

gamblefamily5
10-22-2011, 08:22 AM
No matter if it is true or myth, that AK DOES seem hotter than the other parks. I am sure it is b/c the plants and trees up the humidity but SHEESH it is hot there!:cool:

BrerGnat
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, just based on my limited knowledge of this kind of stuff, if a tree canopy is extensive enough, it will actually keep the temps cooler at ground level, particularly when there is a source of water nearby. So, the argument about the canopy of trees keeping the heat in is just backwards. Trees don't trap humidity and keep it on the ground, rather they take up the moisture from the air, providing a cooling effect. Trees function as sponges, sort of, and they draw in the water in the air. Trees only release the moisture back into the air at NIGHT, but only when it needs to. If the air is already humid, and it doesn't get cool enough, that won't happen. Plus, trees are an obvious source of shade, which provides a cooling effect at ground level.

So, really, it's just a matter of perception. AK is no hotter than any other park at WDW. In fact, it should be, from a scientific standpoint, cooler. It can be argued that on certain EARLY MORNINGS, AK might feel more humid than the other parks, but it's not an effect that lasts all day.

But, all that aside, I also find that AK feels a lot more hot, but I think that might be due to the lack of available air conditioned attractions, which are prevalent in the other parks, and give us a break from the heat more often.

Strmchsr
10-22-2011, 09:25 AM
So, really, it's just a matter of perception. AK is no hotter than any other park at WDW. In fact, it should be, from a scientific standpoint, cooler. It can be argued that on certain EARLY MORNINGS, AK might feel more humid than the other parks, but it's not an effect that lasts all day.

Natalie, check the post I had above. AK actually is, on average, 2-3 degrees cooler than other parks, but the humidity is much higher and the heat index, on average is the highest of any of the parks.

texas211
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Has to be fact. I saw a CM just burst into flames once.

darthmacho
10-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Yep, too much rain, but that's what you get when you are in central Florida. On the other hand, the parks are also able to be enjoyed all year round. No winter shutdown. For less rain, visit in the winter.

No, no. You missed my point. Central, north, south middle, over under, it doesn't matter, Disney just needs to adjust their weather machine. It's a simple matter really... :D

wdwfansince75
10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Do I understand some of the comments? It's the Bushes fault!

JPL
10-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I also think part of the reason people think AK is so much hotter than the other parks is the lack of air conditioned attractions you are spending much more time outside while there. At the other parks you are in and out of air conditioning all day so you have more of a chance to cool off so it really doesn't seem as bad. Not saying the heat index isn't higher but just that staying out in the heat longer will take it's toll on your body.

Butters
10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
The bus driver told me it was true :secret:

Victor Kelly
10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Being serious for a moment. :goof:I think it is just a way to make you buy more sodas and water. Not to mention the fact that Disney always gets those ponchos out an hour before rain. This is because the weather controller in the Earful tower at the studios controls the weather.

AND

If the bus drivers and the internet say it, it has to be true otherwise they cannot say it.:goodbad:

Goes4FastPass
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Here’s a guess or what internet discussion boards usually refer to as expert insider information:

Disney’s Animal Kingdom is larger than the other 3 theme parks at WDW combined and with no train like the MK or ‘trick exit’ like EPCOT’s international gateway, guests at AK walk a doggone lot.

For most families visiting WDW, The AK is not their day 1 park or even their day 2 park so by the time families visit AK they are already less wound up and more tired when they walk through the entrance (after what seemed like a long bus ride from their resort).

Some attractions at AK are long walks in and of themselves – Pangani Exploration Trail and Maharajah Jungle Trek.

AK is not usually open when it’s dark outside and anyone who has ever pushed a stroller around the MK at noon in August knows what a wonderful place the MK is at night.

Jungle plants in the AK don’t make the park hotter. Placing WDW in that jungle called Central Florida makes the park hot but not hotter than shadeless Future World at EPCOT.

A hot day in AK is better than a cold day at the South Pole.