PDA

View Full Version : cat problem

Jeri Lynn
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi Folks,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this problem.

My daughter found a stray cat with kittens near where she works. She rescued them all and we found homes for the kittens. I tried to find a home for Momma cat but nobody wanted her. I was not going to put her out on the street so since then she has been living here with us. At first she terrorized my other three cats, all spayed females. I bought a feliway thing that plugs into the wall that is supposed to calm them all. I also had Momma cat spayed.

What she has done now about three times is when she goes into my daughters room, she pee's "sprays" on her comforter. She does not do this anywhere else in the house, only Katie's room. Thankfully everything is washable so I am not dealing with the "odor" problem but I am wondering why she is spraying only in Katie's room. We've tried to keep the bedroom door closed but by chance last night it was not closed and when I went in there was Momma cat laying there looking all innocent and low and behold she had pee'd on the comforter.

Is she mad at my daughter? Could she be smelling that the other cats have layed on the bed? I'm going to continue to keep the door closed but I'm not sure what else to do.

Katie was her caregiver when she first brought her home. However, she is in college and does not stay home much so could it be that Momma cat is upset with her?

DizneyRox
10-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Cats are fickle... That's why I own a dog.

They tend to do things like this when they are mad or need to get revenge I'd keep the door closed and consider this strike one.

SBETigg
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't know cats. I'm allergic. I have dogs. But, the dog would keep peeing there after she peed once because she would smell the urine (even after washing) and decide it was an acceptable place to go. Is it possible that the first episode was revenge, but the repeat offenses are that she has decided that this now is acceptable? You might try completely replacing the comforter. That's my dogcentric advice. Maybe cat people will be more helpful.

Scar
10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
We did not allow our cat (RIP) on furniture. He was good when were home, but when we weren't, he would go on the couch. Solved the problem by putting tin foil on the couch.

magicofdisney
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
We don't have cats either, however I did have a problem with my neighbor's cat.

The cat decided our front porch was it's new hangout. I didn't care for this so I sprinkled pepper out there. It doesn't hurt the cat, but it will keep them away. Maybe you can try sprinkling pepper all over the comforter and leave the door open on purpose to allow the cat to "try" the usual spot. Possibly, one episode will be enough to keep her from coming back.

TinkerbellT421
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Unlike what most people think, cats do not do things out of revenge. They are not revengeful. What she is actually doing is "claiming her territory". Seeing you own other cats her spraying Katies bed is she is "claiming" Katie as hers and noone elses. Cats are not revengeful but extremely territorial. I have quite a few cat behavioral books at home. When I get home I will take a flip through and see if I can find any suggestions for this type of issue. I will PM you later tonight.

minnie04
10-21-2011, 10:40 AM
We did not allow our cat (RIP) on furniture. He was good when were home, but when we weren't, he would go on the couch. Solved the problem by putting tin foil on the couch.

WOW !! what a great idea... I wonder if it works for Dogs. What happens they dont like the sound??

mgmnut
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Unlike what most people think, cats do not do things out of revenge. They are not revengeful. What she is actually doing is "claiming her territory". Seeing you own other cats her spraying Katies bed is she is "claiming" Katie as hers and noone elses. Cats are not revengeful but extremely territorial. I have quite a few cat behavioral books at home. When I get home I will take a flip through and see if I can find any suggestions for this type of issue. I will PM you later tonight.

I agree with Tinkerbell, she is trying to let the other cats know that is her spot. She might still be a little anxious after being brought into a multicat home after having no confinement for so long.

Scar
10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
WOW !! what a great idea... I wonder if it works for Dogs. What happens they dont like the sound??Not sure if it's the sound or the feel on their feet, but it freaked him out.

Can't speak for dogs. We just never let our dog jump up, and she never has. Dogs are slightly easier to train than cats. ;)

DVC2004
10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
We have 2 cats. Our male is 15, neutered and our girls is about 8. We got her when she was 6 weeks old. Our male had no issues with her. She was spayed...and then when she was around 2 she started going number one all over the place: corners, bags blankets, etc. I was told it was a territorial thing. Not sure why although I know my mom brough her cat over once and that may have done it. Anyway, we clsoed the doors to the bedrooms and did not allow her access, didn't let things lie around like kids bookbags, etc. She did stop. Nothing happened for a while now suddenly she did it on our bathroom are rug the other day. I took it off the floor now and there's nothing there.Other thanthat no more issues with her.

I agree not revenge, cats aren't like that, it's marking a territory with their scent. Wash all affected pieces well or throw out if they are ruined, possibly restrict access to those areas, and check at the pet store if there is anything you can put around (spray?) to repell her from the area. Most important is to wash thoroughly or throw away the items because they tend to go back to their scent and try again.

Jeri Lynn
10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was determined not to keep this cat, but it looks like I will be. She is a sweetheart for the most part other than her "marking" and sometimes hissing at my other cats.

I will suggest to Katie that she spends a little more time with the kitty that she rescued! We will do our best to keep her bedroom door shut. When Katie first brought her home she did go in her room and lay on her bed without any problem, so perhaps she has claimed Katie's bed as her own territory.

I also ordered some Feliway spray to try on the comforter. The diffuser I have seems to have an affect on her mood.

TinkerbellT421
10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I highly recommend Natures Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor remover. When my DBF saved our kitty, he was left home alone for the first time in the first few days we had him and we had a horrified thunder storm, he freaked out a little and piddled where he was sleeping. We used that odor and stain were gone in seconds.

In the mean time, be sure to not "punish" the cat, I know it sounds silly, but when they feel they are being punished they get highly anxious and upset and the problem gets worse. Never take the cat and put her directly in the litter box, cats are highly smart creatures of habit and by doing that will cause her to feel like the litter box is punishment and will have the opposite effect of what you need. In the mean time Im still at work and will check my books the second I get home. There are several good tips as too how to stop that issue.

Patricia
10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Just as a "to think about".. it could be territorial, but my cat started doing this (on my comforter every time) and after questioning my vet she tested her for a bladder infection and found out she was diabetic. Untreated she was having kidney problems. Once she was given daily insulin, and feeling much better, the behavior stopped.

brivers222
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
They also sell these treats that are supposed to help calm cats during stressful situtations... aka being around cats they dont really get around with.

I have owned to many cats to count over the years.. and yes they are a fickle creature.

Now something strange i found is i used to have a white comforter on the bed and when i would wash it I would use bleach.... turns out bleach has some chemicals in it that is similar to smell of cat urine (to them) and they seem to be attracted to it... I have sense stopped washing with bleach at all... Not saying its your issue, but it might be something to look at.

Felinaway is decent, but I also found that those Ease Collars work also... calms my cat right down when we have loud guests or something.

In fact its my fiancees bachelor party this weekend so I have some Calming treats (got them at petsmart) and the collar ready!

as stated above, I used tinfoil around where he was sparying and that seemed to stop it...

brownie
10-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Just as a "to think about".. it could be territorial, but my cat started doing this (on my comforter every time) and after questioning my vet she tested her for a bladder infection and found out she was diabetic. Untreated she was having kidney problems. Once she was given daily insulin, and feeling much better, the behavior stopped.

:ditto:

Have the vet rule this out first. Also, ordinary washing may not get out all of the odor from the comforter, which can cause repeat incidents,too.

DisneyMom12
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I also say use Natures Miracle. Even if you can't smell it the cat can. My cat also had a medical problem which led to him peeing out of the box. He gets crystals in his urine, and is on special prescription food. Now he only pees on rubber backed rugs, so I have nothing in my hallway, or kitchen.