PDA

View Full Version : Ohio and Exotic Animals

Katzateer
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Ohio needs to change their laws concerning exotic animals. There were stories about that man owning all those beautiful animals in the Dayton newspaper for YEARS.

Shame on Ohio, Jack Hanna and the community for not doing some thing about the situation before those innocent animals had to be killed.

retiredfigment
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Don't blame Jack Hannah - he was truly upset. Blame the governor who did not extend the law that would have protected the big cats.

TinkerbellT421
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
That is entirely on the state, they should have never allowed just a "someone" to own those types of animals. Its a fact that Ohio has the loosest laws and rules concerning exotic animals, and have also had the highest number of accidents and deaths because of it.

I truly feel so saddened about what happened to those poor animals, to which no of it was their fault. :(

If I was released from a cage I would have left too. Its not their fault.

DVC2004
10-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I know,what a horrible story. I have been avoiding watching/reading/hearing alot about it because it makes me so sad and angry! I hope this changes things for the better so nothing like this ever happens again.

brownie
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Part of it's the law in Ohio, but the sheriff's department did not seem to be prepared for an event like this. They were sort of forced into their response, but maybe it might have turned out differently had they had a plan in place for a mass animal escape. Couple that with training and tools for the officers, maybe more of the animals could have been saved. I think they did the best they could with the resources and training they had. I do think they were unprepared and should have something in place for this type of event.

Katzateer
10-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I just think Jack Hanna could have done more protesting the laws in Ohio all these years since he was the director of a major zoo in Ohio and is still is a spokesperson at the zoo. I really have been impressed with him over the years and I don't blame him for what happened.

I was shocked to see a person could own so many exotic animals and articles over the years suggested he wasn't taking that good of care of them and neighbors were worried.

princessgirls
10-20-2011, 03:22 PM
These states that don't have Exotic Animal Laws and Legislation better wake up.

It is just beyond my realm of understanding HOW SOMEONE could have THAT MANY EXOTIC ANIMALS in and around HIS HOME????????? WHY and HOW could this Happen???

SHAME on the States who don't regulate this stuff. You put the public at risk, the poor animals suffer because they don't have a "habitat". Now, these animals were killed.
So senseless.
Julie:mickey:

kakn7294
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I commend the police department for their quick action and the prevention of human injury or loss of life even as I mourn the deaths of these innocent animals. Even with dart guns, many of those animals still could not have been saved - one cat that actually was darted turned on and attempted to attack the vet who darted him. For safety reasons, that cat also had to then be killed. Because this happened as night was coming on fast, they would have required multiple night vision scopes and dart guns. Believe me when I say that Zanesville, Ohio is in the same boat as the rest of these communities around here and police departments (if they even exist) rarely have the equipment they NEED let alone "luxury" items like these for a "just-in-case" event. Many of those police officers don't even make more than minimum wage and are only employed part-time. It's the government who failed here by not having exotic animal laws in place.

MNNHFLTX
10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
IMO, you cannot blame Jack Hanna, the sheriff's department or the community for the actions of a sick and perverse man. Because of his apparent vindictiveness, he put his neighbors at risk and basically condemned those poor animals to death. I do agree that ownership of exotic animals should be limited to licensed sanctuaries, but the laws in almost all states are very lenient. We are supporting members of Tupentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas and they are constantly rescuing animals from similar situations across the country. Until our society start recognizing that wild animals are not pets and deserve to be in their natural habitat, these types of situations will continue.

Hair_Razor
10-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Since when is it up to a zoo director to protest and push legislation? The fact is that man was crazy and one has a right to keep those animals especially endangered and rare animals in captivity. I'm quite honestly not even a fan of zoo's. Just my two cents.

Mickey'sGirl
10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Until our society start recognizing that wild animals are not pets and deserve to be in their natural habitat, these types of situations will continue.I absolutely agree with you, though I do believe that Mr. Hanna was in a position to "push" some change. Maybe he can create a change now.

I'm quite honestly not even a fan of zoo's. Just my two cents.Nor am I. We spent 10 days at AKL in August, and this hovered over me for most of that time. We have to change our way of thinking about wildlife.

Scar
10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Part of it's the law in Ohio, but the sheriff's department did not seem to be prepared for an event like this.It's the law. Why should the Police have to spend extra money and resourses to be prepared for something that is legal?

brownie
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
It's the law. Why should the Police have to spend extra money and resourses to be prepared for something that is legal?

Just like it's legal to use dangerous chemicals in industrial processes. Community responders need to be prepared for possible events.

The sheriff said they've had complaints and other incidents, so even to be prepared with some sort of response plan for an escape of some of the animals would have prudent in the interest of public safety. I think it's more an issue of risk assessment for your community and preparing for those risks. The response to this was sort of winged. Granted, it really was a worst case scenario, but if you plan for the worst you can be prepared for just about any lesser event that might happen. Would the end result have been different, probably not. I just think they could have been a lot better prepared.

Scar
10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Just like it's legal to use dangerous chemicals in industrial processes. Community responders need to be prepared for possible events.Oh I know. My point was that there should be a law against keeping a zoo like this by a private citizen. Usually I'm against excessive laws, but this one would clearly help protect other people and their property. Not to mention that it's probably only wacky people who do this sort thing in the first place. A few years ago a lady had a tiger escape here in NJ... turned out she was a wacko.

diz_girl
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh I know. My point was that there should be a law against keeping a zoo like this by a private citizen. Usually I'm against excessive laws, but this one would clearly help protect other people and their property. Not to mention that it's probably only wacky people who do this sort thing in the first place. A few years ago a lady had a tiger escape here in NJ... turned out she was a wacko.

Definite wacko. I was just going to mention the Tiger Lady. For others who don't know about her, a tiger escaped from its enclosure in Jackson, NJ (near Six Flags Great Adventure) a little over ten years ago and was just wandering around until it was discovered and then shot and killed. This woman actually had more tigers in her 'sanctuary' than the safari at Six Flags. After the tiger was killed, she admitted that one of her tigers was missing, but that the killed tiger was not hers. How do you keep a straight face while spinning that little yarn? DNA tests later confirmed that the tiger did come from her sanctuary, which was later closed down and the animals relocated to a sanctuary in TX.

Given that there were at least two places in their town that had more than a dozen tigers each, local authorities were not prepared for an escape. Town officials prepared a contingency plan only after this happened. But that's generally the norm no matter where you are - people don't prepare for it until something tragic happens. I'm not blaming the officials for what happend, I'm blaming them for being unprepared. I mean, how hard is it to sit and think, "What would/should we do if a tiger escapes from Joe Shmo's place?"

I've actually been to Zanesville and while there are a lot of open spaces surrounding the town, the town center itself is pretty populated, with shopping centers and busy roads. So it could have turned really bad really fast had the animals wandered downtown. However, it's been reported that most of the animals that were killed were still on the property and standing next to their cages. They were just picked off one by one. It's sickening.

By the way, I totally agree about how wild animals should not be kept by private citizens. Within this past week a four-year-old in Odessa, TX was mauled by a mountain lion that his aunt owned. Authorities knew about that one, because they cited her for not keeping up on Fluffy's (or whatever it's name is) vaccinations, plus some safety violations.

Stickey
10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
This unfortunate incident was created by the combination of insufficient laws regarding non-native exotic animals and one demented individual. This is not unique to OH. The python problem in FL is a prime example.

Zoos and credible wildlife preserves play a vital role in creating and expanding the understanding and appreciation of animals. The AK does a superb job of caring for many animals and actively aids in the preservation of several endangered species. These efforts are increasingly necessary as natural habitats continue to shrink. It is illogical to believe that these animals can thrive without some responsible human stewardship initiatives.

Mickey'sGirl
10-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Absolutely. Breeding programs and conservation efforts in place by reputable zoos/sactuaries are invaluable to the protection of many species. We are the stewards of this earth .... unfortunately we are too often able to convince ourselves that our motives are selfless and for the good of the animals, when really it's because people pay to see Shamu.

I also dispute the whole education piece. You don't see a lot of these sanctuaries advertising "Come see our endangered slugs!" or "Save the lichens!". People like fur, not slime and fungus.

We don't break off parts of the Parthenon because people will learn how to preserve ancient wonders better by seeing them up close. Nope. People have to travel to Athens to get the up close experience. I suggest that perhaps that is the little bit beyond what we can learn from television and books which available to us.

Just my 2 cents.

brownie
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
For others who don't know about her, a tiger escaped from its enclosure in Jackson, NJ (near Six Flags Great Adventure) a little over ten years ago and was just wandering around until it was discovered and then shot and killed.

Did Tom Brown help track this tiger down? I thought I remember reading a story in one of his books about his helping the police track a tiger down.

kakn7294
10-22-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know that's it's possible to "be prepared" for such a large-scale disaster as this was. There's a huge difference in having equipment and training to deal with one or two animals on the loose and having 50+ on the loose. I doubt anybody could have seen this coming.