PDA

View Full Version : Mac problem

LittleSpirit02
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
So I've never had an issue with my Macbook acting up but I was on skype yesterday and all of a sudden the call ended. When I tried to call back, it said I wasn't online even though safari worked. Then all of a sudden the screen went black (even tho the computer was charging and plugged in). I turned the computer on again (acted like it was asleep) and then a little while later, the exact same thing happened. Any ideas whats going on? I'm hoping it just overheated a bit as I had it on my lap, skyping from my bed. I bought it in maybe 2008 or 2009.
Thanks!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
I would post this on the Apple website. There are always people willing to help.

VWL Mom
10-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Is your computer one of these?

"MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008"

If so, it's a known issue and the posted Apple resolution:

"If your MacBook Pro is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, please take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your nearest Apple Contact Center. Before visiting the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, please make a reservation (available in some countries only)."

"Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

apple support TS2377

magicofdisney
10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I was just on the Mac forums this morning because of an iCloud issue, and something I read made your post catch my attention. Have you recently upgraded to the new software?

I was thinking of upgrading but I wanted to hear of the pitfalls before making the change. One of the negative reviews reminds me of your current problem.