PDA

View Full Version : How to lodge complaint about Brown Derby?

drhama
10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Four of us at the Brown Derby for my birthday and had one of the worst meals and experiences at any restaurant anywhere let alone a Disney Signature restaurant. Really want to complain about my experience.
If it had not happened to me, not sure I would believe my story.
Never felt the need to complain so I have no idea what to do.
Finally recovered enough from the trip and the cold I got as soon as I got home to look into what to do.
I'm sure a fellow intercoter will be able to help.

gerald72
10-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Tell us the story!

greengeen
10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
I hope you spoke to a manager while you were there. That's the most direct and effective thing to do. Unless the manager is the problem!

Then there is email - [email protected].

DizneyRox
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
It would have been best to handle it at the time, but your best bet now is wdw.guest. [email protected]

IT takes a bit, and remember to tell them you need to hear back. Often, if you don't say that, you'll get the canned "We received your message and it's very important to us, blah blah blah" and not hear back. Not that they don't take let others know, but it helps to let them know what you expect.

The above e-mail is really just a central connection point. They forward these on to the appropriate place within the company.

SBETigg
10-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow, it's always disappointing to hear that someone was really let down with a meal or experience, and it sounds like that is the case, that you were not just a little peeved, but really let down. So sorry for your bad experience, and I hope your complaint makes an impact so that it doesn't happen again. You might never know the outcome, but it's better to say something and hope for the best.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Oh gracious, please share what happened. I have them as an ADR in December hope it doesn't go wrong.

BugeyedMuggy
10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
We were also going to try it for the first time in Dec. Would also love to hear of your bad experience.

BeccaO
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
We also have it on our agenda for January, this will be our 1st visit too, would like to hear some feedback about your visit!!

Butters
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
:ditto: Please share

mickey_M_lvr
10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't have an ADR for the Brown Derby....but I wanna hear it too. I guess I am just nosey! :blush:

Really...on a serious note...I am sorry for the less than magical experience. I can honestly say that when hubby and I were there in Sept there were a few less than Magical moments...but I was not gonna let it get the best of me.

Good luck!

drhama
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I did not complain at the time. Probably should have but just wanted to leave.
Hubby and I have eaten at BD one other time. Did not hold a candle to Cali Grill but was not bad. Had two newbies with us and really wanted to show them all Disney has to offer. Got much more than I bargined for.
Ok. Here we go. First, I walked up at 5:15 for our 5:30 ressie. Found a huge line out the door. Thought it was kind of weird but no big deal until I learned it was the line to check in. Took over 20 mins for me. Many in front of me took much longer.
Once I finally got us checked in, we waited for about 1.3/4hrs to get called for seating.
Since it was my birthday, the hostess had me do the diva walk to the table. A nice touch.
Saw many empty tables when we sat down which seemed odd. With the huge wait, I expected to see the place packed.
Ordered our food in a timely manner.
Appetizers were fine. But service had slowed to a crawl. Drinks not refilled very often. Dirty plates on table for a pretty long time. Things like that. Things you would not expect at a Signature restaurant. Seemed like these issues were more prevelent with our server. Did see some other tables sitting waiting for the to bill settled for excessive amounts of time.
Our entrees finally arrived. My fish was tasty. It was dry. Dry around the edges like it hand been sitting in a warmer for a long time. My hubby's chicken was not fully cooked. Very red close to the bone. I don't remember what the others ordered but they had no major complaints but no raves either.
Ordered wine to celebrate. That went fine and I do understand that it added time to our dinning exterience.
While we were at our table, the table next to us was cleared and reset two times with a different waiter. I can not say for sure if those parties ordered as many courses as we did but, cleared and reset two times caught my attention.
Dessert was fine.
Took quite awhile to get our bill settled. Headed to the restroom while we waited. It was quite messy. Heard two women calling for paper and saw hands extended from under the stalls. Seemed like the perfect end to the last time I will ever eat at the Brown Derby.
With the slow service and all the waiting in line, having dinner was pushing 4 hours. I know I should have complain right then but just did not have it in me at the time. Just wanted out.
Was absolutely shocked by the whole experience.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
4 hours, unacceptable we are doing the Fantasmic Pkg and I hope we will get to the show on time:(

AllDisney
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
We eat at BD EVERY trip (you can see we have been a few times:secret:) We have ALWAYS had great food & serivce.

Sorry you had a bad dinner experience.

BugeyedMuggy
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I just went on another site and read some recent reviews that mimic your experience. So sorry you had to endure that but very glad you shared with us. We have 5pm ressie and only have 1.5 hours to dine. Can't chance that. Looks like we won't try BD on this trip.

Mickey'sGirl
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I am sorry about your experience, but the time to complain about food quality is when your plate is in front of you. You should not pay for improperly prepared food (especially raw chicken! Yack!). Poor service should also be dealt with by asking for the manager, and adjusting your tip. I don't know what kind of response would resolve your disappointment this long after the fact.

It's unfortunate that your experience was not what a signature Birthday experience should be. We have always had fabulous food and service at the Brown Derby, but friends of ours had a bad go, just like you did.

I really hope that you found a way to rescue some Birthday magic!

Ian
10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Our last foray at BD wasn't that great either. Wasn't terrible, but the service was kinda slow and the food was average at best.

You can tell one thing for certain ... a long wait combined with an empty restaurant means understaffed. That's 100%.

Looks like staff reductions and cost cutting are once again negatively affecting guest experiences. :shake:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Well, no more Fantasmic ADRs are available for our dates...I'm hoping we get lucky

FriendsofMickey
10-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I have learned that the time to complain is when it happens. You can try to send a letter now, but I am not sure what they will do. I am almost certain that if you were on the dining plan, they will do nothing.
I have had two issues with dining at WDW. Both at EPCOT. Once Askersus (sp? - Norway) and once Le Cellier. The Le Cellier time we were on the dining plan, they end up appologizing and then gave us a Fast Pass (which we did not use); however, since we were on the dining plan, they said they couldn't do anything else.

Now Norway, I waited to complain (following a CMs advice). We even paid out of pocket for this one. However, then when they did respond, it was with I should have complained while there. I learned my lesson. You better believe I will never hold my tongue again.

We have gone to BD many times, we have had great exeriences and one "just okay" experience. The one time where we had a "just okay" experience, we did not complain; however, the server appologized and even gave us the "fantasmic pass". He knew it had taken too long. We were impressed that he took it upon himself to do something, even though we never said a word.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope you get some where with your complaint.

drhama
10-20-2011, 10:13 PM
I am not wanting to lodge a complaint expecting compensation.
The food was mostly edible and sort of "free" with the dining plan.
My issue is if any restaurant has only average service and food, they should charge accordingly. They should not be in the Signature category.
All in our party agreed that staffing was the likely cause of the poor service.
The cause is irrelevant when you are handed a $400 bill.
The state of the restroom has nothing to do with the quality of the food or wait staff. Still just blown to think I should have brought my own toilet paper.
Perhaps if bookings slow, management will bring staffing to the appropriate level.
I feel better after posting here and receiving feedback from my fellow intercoters.

Katzateer
10-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Sorry you didn't have a great time especially since you brought friends and expected a special meal.

We went to BD a month ago and didn't have any problems with seating time and the food was excellent. Did notice other diners waiting a long time to get their bill so when we got our dessert I asked for the check and got it paid faster than if I had just let it wait until after dessert.