PDA

View Full Version : Poly. or Contemporary

tink7474
10-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Help! Taking my two boys 17 and 10 along with 70 yr old dad to WDW. Its dads first trip woo hoo. :). Anybody have any suggestions/thoughts on which resort is better? :mickey:

SBETigg
10-18-2011, 06:12 PM
So many factors at work here. It comes down to personal preference, mostly related to resort layout and theming. The Contemporary has the advantage of having most rooms in one building with the restaurants, shops, lobby-- but maybe a slightly cavernous feel. The Poly has rooms spread out in longhouses around the main building, but this makes the most of the lush, tropical setting. They're both good with transportation options, proximity to MK, size of rooms, and views. I prefer the Polynesian. Some people prefer the Contemporary.

faline
10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Difficult choice. I really love the Poly - it's my favorite resort but it is a bit spread out and could be more of a problem if anyone in your party has any mobility issues. The Contempoary - particularly if you stay in the tower on the Magic Kingdom side is pretty amazing and has the benefit, as noted of having everything you need within the building. Either one would be an excellent choice!

KarenP
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either resort but the themes are very different. I have stayed at both and loved them both. Polynesian is my personal favorite but as faline and SBETigg have mentioned it is a bit more spread out. I think Polynesian has a nicer pool if you are going to do any swimming. The ambience is very relaxing, tropical and lush. The Contemporary is sleek and ultra modern. The monorail runs right through the main lobby which is very cool.

Have fun deciding!

Mickey'sGirl
10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I loved both, but I think I'd rather vacation at the Poly. .... I'd like to live at the Contemporary. I love the decor!

wdwfansince75
10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Either is a good choice...especially with the monorail. Both are also convenient for the EPCOT monorail. If dad is a smoker, the convenience of the smoking areas of the Poly favors that resort. IMHO, the Poly also has the best bars, restuarants, and quick service...
Contemporary is somewhat less expensive.
And I always enjoyed the peaceful early AM with a fresh cup of coffee, sitting on the dock, letting the day begin. Never had a bad stay at the CR.

Keneva
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
What's important to you, your kids and your Dad? What are your expectations? How long will you be there? We have stayed at both and were very happy with each one but prefer the Poly because it fits our family better (DD & DS still under 10 years old). Once they get older we may try something else.......then again maybe not....:mickey:

RedSoxFan
10-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I've never stayed at either; but I would go with the Poly. So cool that it'll be your dad's first trip. My mom who is almost 72 is coming with us for her first trip in November (my dad died in June). I'm sure you'll have a good time no matter which resort you choose.

Mousemates
10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
CR for the following reasons

You can walk home from the MK

You can go from your room to get something to eat without having to get in the weather(the out building concept just doesn't appeal to me in a deluxe resort)...ditto with getting on the monorail and going to eat at either the Poly or GF.

Less expensive.

What I think are the nicest, most well planned rooms at WDW.

Just one boat away from the WL and FWC

Great views from the "off side" of the resort (i.e. Bay Lake)

A good MK view room from the CR is a true MK view. I know lots of folks really like the MK views from the Poly...but to us the distance across the lake really diminishes the enjoyment of seeing the park. To us some of them are really just "very expensive" water view rooms.

Chef Mickeys for breakfast is a great place to finish up a WDW vacation.

And most of all because the CR is just plain cool.

RBrooksC
10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
We just stayed in the CR resort in May. We had a MK view room. The rooms in the CR are the largest on Disney property. It is walking distance from the MK and actually faster to walk there as opposed to taking the monorail.

We liked how everything was right there. If I needed a drink or snack, it was a quick trip down the elevator. Yes, the Garden View rooms are a bit further but it is a covered walkway.

The Poly has fantastic theming. I love it. And it has good access to the TTC for Epcot transportation.

You cannot go wrong with either resort. I would say it would all depend on your personal tastes.

tink7474
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, It sounds like I cant go wrong either way. Though I have run across one concern with CR. I have heard it can be noisy at night... Dad loves his sleep :), should I be concerned??

paymerich
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
tonga toast ,Ohanas. Poly .nuff said over and out :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Though I have run across one concern with CR. I have heard it can be noisy at night... Dad loves his sleep :), should I be concerned??

I am a VERY light sleeper and had two noise complaints while staying at the CR in a tower room MK side.

1) The boats horns from the lagoon kept waking me up at night, especially on late MK hours or EMH nights. They would be going until 1 or 2 in the morning and the constant blow of the horns really got on my nerves. By night 3 I had no choice but to drink some (and some more) Absolut to keep me asleep.

2) After the Absolute had worn off, I would awake some nights to the sound of walkie-talkie traffic from CMs starting the Monorail up each morning around 5ish. I am not sure what they were doing, and I didn't hear it every morning, but the use of way-too-loud walkie-talkies down on the platform robbed me of a couple of hours of sleep several mornings because once I was awake anytime after 4am that was it for me.

I want to stress that I NEVER heard one peep out of the monorail itself, just the walkie-talkie traffic of the early morning start-up. I was on the 8th floor and the Monorail is on the fourth-and-a-half floor and I was on the same side of the building as the Monorail. I also never heard any noise from the 4th floor (Chef Mickey's) and only once did I head a 2am scream from a little girl in a room nearby. Also, both of these problems are reduced or eliminated of you are going to stay on the Bay Lake side or the Garden Wing.

If for some reason your Dad tries to sleep before the MK fireworks are over, forget about it. The most unexpected thing from my stay at the CR was how VERY loud the fireworks are from the CR. They were way louder at the CR than inside MK, you could feel the percussion of every shell exploding, followed by a melody of car alarms going off in the parking lot below.

Scar
10-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I've never stayed at either, but have heard that the CR has a great arcade if that means anything for your sons.

diz_girl
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
If you spend a lot of time at EPCOT, then the Poly might be a better choice since you can take the monorail directly from the TTC without having to get on a resort monorail to get to the TTC. There is a short walking path that leads from the Poly to the TTC. Plus, if the MK closes earlier than EPCOT and the monorail closes for the night before you get back to the TTC, you are already back at your resort and don't have to take that extra step of a bus or boat to get back to the CR.

Also, a pp mentioned that the CR has the largest rooms on property. Actually, the Tokelau longhouse at the Poly has the largest rooms. There is plenty of room to spread out. I like the Tokelau longhouse. It is centrally located between the TTC, the GCH, the beach, pool and dock and the horn from the Riverboat adds nicely to the background noise.

The Poly is such a nice, relaxing resort. I just love walking around the lush grounds at any time of day. The grounds make walking anywhere in the resort very enjoyable.

But nothing says Disney World like the CR. While staying at the CR, you have easy access to four other resorts, the Poly, GF, WL and FW.

Why don't you ask your sons and your father for their preference?

darthmacho
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Tough choice. Poly has better theming, but there are many reasons why the Contemporary would appeal to teens. Have you asked their opinion? :mickey:

SBETigg
10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Tough choice. Poly has better theming, but there are many reasons why the Contemporary would appeal to teens. Have you asked their opinion? :mickey:

This is exactly why my teens loved the Poly, plenty of paths and nooks to explore without constant parental supervision. They had more of a feeling of independence. We could be in the room, and they could head over to the pool or the Great Ceremonial House, or just walk the grounds. The Contemporary is not as conducive to exploring or finding little quiet paths. There's equal opportunity to break away, but yet you're all still in the same building.

RavsRuleDisney!
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
pretty much repeating what the thread has been saying - other than mobility issues for your dad it's really personal preference. Of course I luv to plug the POLY whenever I can! :papple: POLY is by far the prettier, better themed but both offer plenty of amenities - dining, shops, water options, monorail access - do a little research, poll the family and ENJOY!! :mickey:

TexasPrincessAurora
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
No doubt about it...the Poly! Its a relaxing, laid back escape from the parks. The food in every restaurant is amazing. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in. You can easily walk to the TTC and have monorail access directly to both MK and EPCOT. The pool is wonderful as well. The staff is among some of the friendliest on property.

tink7474
10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone!!!! Sounds like Poly is the fav.;)

mickclub1955
10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Another thing to consider also is that if your father uses a wheelchair. The monorail station at the Contemporary is not wheelchair accessible if I am not mistaken. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

mickclub1955
10-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Okay, I see there is an elevator now for wheelchairs so belay that last post.

JenniferS.
10-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I haven't stayed at the Poly...YET, but we have stayed at the Contemporary in the tower bay lake view. It was my favorite trip ever. Being on the monorail is the best thing with small kids, in your case, your kids are older. The best thing about the CR is being able to walk to and from MK with ease. It's especially good at peak times when lines are long for the monorail. The rooms are really nice at the Contemporary. I'm sure the Poly is nice too, just haven't experienced it.

BrerGnat
10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Is a hot tub something your family likes to enjoy on vacation? How about a balcony? Fitness center?

Polynesian lacks all three of these amenities (there are no balconies in about 1/3 of the rooms there). In addition, many rooms only have a single sink in the bathroom.

I love the Contemporary and find it much more convenient to the MK, and more convenient all around (having everything under one roof). It only takes one really rainy, miserable day to realize that the Polynesian isn't all its cracked up to be. Having to go outside for a potentially long walk just to get to the transportation, food, shopping is a hassle that I, personally, don't want to deal with at a Deluxe resort.

If you will all be staying in one room, I think the Tower in the Contemporary is the best choice. Noise shouldn't be a concern if you request a room on the highest floor possible. I stayed in the 10th floor, MK view at the Contemporary and I am a VERY light sleeper. I was never once bothered by noise. I wear earplugs nightly, even at home, so I didn't hear a peep from the monorail, Chef Mickey's, or outside. The only thing you can hear is the fireworks every night. They are fairly loud, but I was always still awake for those.

Contemporary is a much more "deluxe" hotel experience.

wmdaddy
10-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd go with (and have gone with) the Poly. The CR is too business like for my vacation wants. Every time we eat at the CR, I feel like I'm on a business trip with my company. It's too sterile and cold looking. The only advantage to the CR is the walkway to MK, and that's not a huge deal. The Poly has the monorail, boat and ferry service to the MK.

Someone said the CR's rooms are less expensive. That's only if you're staying in the Garden Wing. Rooms in the Tower are just as expensive (if not more) than the Poly's.

Polynesian has better food, theme, atmosphere and transportation options (TTC within walking distance).

I've yet to see one guide book or website give the nod to the CR over the Poly. I think that's pretty telling.

wmdaddy
10-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Contemporary is a much more "deluxe" hotel experience.

True.

The Polynesian is a much more deluxe resort experience.

TexasPrincessAurora
10-21-2011, 02:12 PM
True.

The Polynesian is a much more deluxe resort experience.

I think that sums it up exactly...it feels like a resort...a tropical resort. Its a relaxing getaway.