PDA

View Full Version : 10 Month Old at WDW?

schoolbread
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Hello! I've been getting amazing information from all of you for quite some time but this is my first time ever posting. My husband and I have been coming to WDW for years and January will be our very first trip with our new child! I'm curious if anyone else has taken a 10 month old to the parks and if you have good advice to share.

We know this will be a VERY DIFFERENT trip for us. We're not expecting to run all over Epcot drinking beers or to have the luxury to be in MK and spontaneously decide to jump on a bus and go to AK for lunch.

We love going for walks in our neighborhood, so we're just thinking about this trip as going on a nice "walk" every day and if we get to hit a ride or two then that's just a bonus for us. Are we setting our expectations too low, or does this sound accurate?

diz_girl
10-17-2011, 10:17 AM
:welcome: to Intercot.

I'll be bringing a 10-month old next month, so I'll be interested in the replies too. I've brought a 17-month old and I made use of the baby changing stations in each park. AK has the best station. It's best to stick to their normal routine for meals and naptimes as best you can. You may also want to take a break mid-day and go back to your hotel to help prevent your child from getting over-stimulated.

You do have a good plan, so your expectations aren't too high, but they may be too low. But if your expectation is to enjoy WDW with your new baby, no more, no less, then your expectations are just right. You can take the baby on pretty much every ride that doesn't have a height restriction, so you will probably be able to do more than you think. Actually, a 10-month old is more manageable than a toddler, so eating in reataurants are enjoyable.

Have a great time!

Dyanna
10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the birth of your 1st child. Very exciting times!

We took our DD (now 4) for her 1st trip when she was 10 months. The best advice for you is to ship to the hotel with a day in advance delivery all diapers, formula (if using) wipes, snacks etc even water. We shipped a 40lb box with other misc items & only came back with 1 pack of diapers. This was such a lifesaver. We never went back to hotel during day for DD to nap as she just slept in the stroller during the day. Also use rider swap this way you & hubby both get to ride the rides. 1 person will have to wait on the normal wait time lines & then the one staying back with the baby will then take the rider swap ticket given to you by the CM at the ride entrance & just go straight on the Fast Pass line. Good luck & have a great trip. We leave again in 12 days :-)

Victor Kelly
10-17-2011, 11:31 AM
While I do not have children yet, I have visited many theme parks, including Disney. So I figured I would chime in. First take your stroller. They are padded, shaded and comfy. Do not use Disney strollers for anything. When getting on a monorail it can be tuff to fold the stroller down and hold the baby. Let’s face it and just say sometimes the baby needs to stay in the stroller. Especially, when mom and dad are pooped out.

If you are bottle feeding, you can take a small cooler with formula already prepared, or just wait to mix.. If you are breast feeding, each first aid station has an area for you and your baby. There are secluded spots you could breast feed with a blanket over you if need be. But the first aid stations will be a lot more cozy, quiet and comfortable.

Take your time. But try to stay in one park or the immediate area around a park. It will make it easier on you and baby. Use baby swap at the attractions. I would suggest this even for Pirates because of the drop. The haunted mansion is very tame.

Leave no valuables in your stroller. Carry them. If you buy stuff take and rent a locker. With the baby bags secure them to the stroller with travel locks and then lock them shut with a combination travel lock (they make tsa certified ones for $10 a piece).

Carry plenty of diapers because Disney charges an arm and a leg. Use sunscreen on the baby too, because in winter you can get burned easily and babies have much more sensitive skin. Have a stash of baby stuff in your car trunk. It is better to go out and get more supplies because buying in the park will cost you.

As someone already suggested, stay on your baby’s schedule. Take a break midday if you can and just relax back at the hotel. AND get pictures with the characters whenever you can and use photopass. Photopass lets all of you be in the picture.

Terra
10-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I have 2 sons, a 3 y.o. and a soon to be 5 y.o. We've been going since they were 1 month old! :)

I basically just carried them in an Ergo/Mei Tai or sling. With a small backpack for diapers/wipes/a change of clothes. I nursed, so I just nursed where ever, whenever. I never personally covered, especially in the heat.

When my sons where a bit older like yours, I mainly wore them on my back :)

So I guess my input is go as light as possible. That's why I liked going with a carrier only and stroller free :)

Have a wonderful time and cherish each and every moment. Don't forget that "First Visit" and "Celebrating" button! Since you'll be doing both with your little one!:mickey:

Eric87
10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Congrats on the birth of your 1st child. Very exciting times!

We took our DD (now 4) for her 1st trip when she was 10 months. The best advice for you is to ship to the hotel with a day in advance delivery all diapers, formula (if using) wipes, snacks etc even water. We shipped a 40lb box with other misc items & only came back with 1 pack of diapers. This was such a lifesaver. We never went back to hotel during day for DD to nap as she just slept in the stroller during the day. Also use rider swap this way you & hubby both get to ride the rides. 1 person will have to wait on the normal wait time lines & then the one staying back with the baby will then take the rider swap ticket given to you by the CM at the ride entrance & just go straight on the Fast Pass line. Good luck & have a great trip. We leave again in 12 days :-)

Exactly what she said. We took our 9 month old down last Sept. We shipped everything down before we left too. All the naps were in the parks in her stroller. The designated areas aren't in convenient spots, so we'd browse in stores while she napped or grabbed a bite to eat in an a/c restaurant. Try to utilize the fastpass and child swap as much as you can Take it slow and have a great time!

Buttercup
10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I think you're setting your expectations too low! We brought our kids when they were babies at 6 and 4 months, and it was fine! They're quite portable at that age and will just "go along" on the rides with mom and dad. Sure, you'll be making extra stops along the way for diaper changes and feedings, but for the most part, your day will be the same as ever!
I guess it all depends on whether or not your kid is a good sleeper in a stroller or while being carried. My husband and I would just lift the kids out of the stroller while they're sleeping and bring them on the rides as well, as long as they weren't very loud rides or anything.
It wasn't that big of a change for us at all. :thumbsup:

SugarMagnolia
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
My husband and I took our (already walking) 10 month old grandson last May. It was our best trip ever. More relaxing then trips in the past. He loved looking around and he loved Mickey and the characters too. Have fun!