PDA

View Full Version : Oahu?

DisneyRN
10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
We are getting "hitched" next June (6/9/12 :D ) on the Eastern beaches of Oahu...Waimanalo Bay, to be exact. We have rented a condo for 12 days in Kaneohe, and we really want to hit the "not so touristy" spots.

Any suggestions? Of course, I am sure we will end up at the Polynesian Cultural Center, Hanauma Bay, Pearl Harbor, etc. But, for those little secret spots, I am open for suggestions... :confused:

Disney4us2
10-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Off of Pali Hwy there is Pali Drive. That road will take you to the Pali Lookout. It overlooks the Kailua/Kaneohe side.

On the North Shore there is Mokuleiea Beach Park. It is not really a swimming beach, but very beautiful with the ocean on one side and the mountains behind you. Also on the NS is Matsumoto's shave ice. That is always a must do for me.... even when I lived there.

Mfarquar
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree with Disney4us2 - get some real shave ice! We tried to get Matsumotos while we were there, but had to get Aoki's because Matsumotos was closed. But, it was still fantastic!

Also, Shark's Beach is GREAT for snorkeling. We saw more life there than Hanuma Bay. We saw a ton of turtles, and no worries - no sharks that we can report!

murphy1
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
My grandma lived in Kailua as a kid and that's a nice area still, along with the beaches and parks there, I believe that is the same area the Obamas go to on holiday, so it might be getting more known.

TheDuckRocks
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
There are really no beaches in Kaneohe, take the very short drive over to Kailua and use the beach there.
In Kaneohe the Koa Pancake house is great, also for breakfast in Kailua Is Boots & Kimos (macadamian pancakes) and Cinnamon's. These places also serve lunch, but check on dinner as other than Cinnamon's I don't think the others do. If you happen to be in the mood for Mexican food Los Garcia's in Kailua on the windward side is probably your best option. In Honolulu Compadre's is the better selection. In Kaneohe Zia's Cafe has the best cheesesteak sandwich I've ever eaten and their Italian food is very good, there is a lovely Chart House sitting on beautiful grounds and my favorite Thai restaurant anywhere is Chao Phya Thai Restaurant.
Don't miss the Japanese temple in Kaneohe, peaceful and beautiful.

minnie-mouse
10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Waikiki was always my favorite -the beaches, the shopping & restaurants on the beach. Also, take a ride up to the North Shore, truly beautiful and serene. Don't forget to climb Diamond Head for some amazing views!!

Melanie
11-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Don't forget to climb Diamond Head for some amazing views!!

Even for out-of-shape me (whew!), climbing Diamondhead was such a highlight of our trip. Highly recommended!

And I know you said you wanted to avoid touristy type places, but the Dole Plantation was fun for us, plus it's the only place outside of a Disney park you can get a Dole Whip. :tasty:

tinkwest
11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
If you are traveling out the Kamehameha Hwy to Laie and the Polynesian Cultural Center take the time to go farther north and stop by Giovani's Shrimp Truck near Kahuku then continue on to Matsumoto's in Haleiwa. Polynesian Cultural Center may be touristy but I've always enjoyed my visits there.

I agree with Marci about the Pali Lookout. It is always one of my favorite places to stop. And you'll be right there in Kaneohe.

klb
11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
We were there about a month ago, and I really enjoyed the Kukaniloko Birthing Stones (between Wahiawa and Haleiwa). It's a Native Hawaiian sacred site and a bit off the beaten path (but totally worth a visit). A good thing about the island is that it's relatively small and accessible by car or public transit.

My husband's favorite "site" was Ted's Bakery on the North Shore for some really outstanding doughnuts :-)

klb
11-17-2011, 03:22 PM
... and by the way, Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

7165red
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I really enjoy Waikiki beach as well. We have spent a week at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and really enjoyed it very much. If you can go over an visit, there are so many shops and restaurants and beautiful grounds. A visit to Pearl Harbor Memorial is always nice. Much happiness to you.

7165red
02-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I really enjoy Waikiki beach as well. We have spent a week at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and really enjoyed it very much. If you can go over an visit, there are so many shops and restaurants and beautiful grounds. A visit to Pearl Harbor Memorial is always nice. Much happiness to you.

minnie-mouse
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't belive the Dole Cannery gives the tour anymore. Oh yes, Hilton Hawaii Village in Waikiki has the best ice cream in their little shop. You gotta get a waffle cone there and sit under a palm tree on the beach enjoying the view!