PDA

View Full Version : F&W Festival-My Humble Review of Food

DisneyRN
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
So, I tried multiple booths earlier this week, and here is my limited culinary opinion...

Belgium: Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream...an obvious offering from Belgium, but well-done; very good for only $3

Mexico: Shrimp Tacos. Once I tried it, I remember having it before, and not being impressed on previous occasions. Not worth time. I didn't like the spices used.

On another note, fiance' tried the strawberry margarita on the rocks. He didn't get two, but he didn't say it was the best he ever had. So, it is what it is. :marg:

Japan: Spicy Tuna Roll. This was about as good as the sushi you buy at Publix. For $3.75, I was hoping for more. You can tell it was mass produced, but I was hoping for more from this booth. :(

Cheese: Cheese Fondue with Sourdough Bread... I could've eaten the fondue up with a spoon. Another great and filling choice for $3

Germany: Nuernberger Sausage in a Pretzel Roll. This was okay. I don't think I would've paid another $4.50 for this again. It kind of tasted like a large, flavorful breakfast sausage on a soft pretzel. Not worth the money.

Craft Beer: Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss...OMG! I am a fan! I limited myself to one 12oz. Otherwise, I would've drank an unlimited supply! This is a great beer!

Deserts: DD and I shared White Chocolate Macadamia Mousse with Dark Chocolate Pearls for only $1.50. It was a great price, size, etc. And, LORD, this was one of the best things we tried!

Poland: Kielbasa and Potato Pierogies with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream. I was raised on great, authentic Kielbasa and Pierogie, so this disappointed. But, I paid the $5 out of loyalty to Poland. :blush:

I wanted to try soooo much more, but was limited by the size of the offering and price. New Zealand's scallop, for example, was one scallop with puree for $4.25. Not worth it. But, it looked good.

Otherwise, I really wanted to try Ireland's Fisherman Pie, China's pot stickers, Moroco's Kefta Pocket, etc...but, tummy was too full.

So, tell me what I missed? :confused:

Melanie
10-15-2011, 09:46 PM
My favorites this year by far were the Hawaii offerings - Kalua Pork Sliders and the Tuna Poke. SO good!

A favorite from years past is the Fisherman's Pie from Ireland. Didn't disappoint again this year, although I can't imagine having it when it's 80+ degrees outside.

Agree with you on the Nuernberger Sausage and Pretzel Roll. Second year we've gotten it and not really impressed either time.

I disagree with you on the sushi though. Definitely much. better than what we get at our local Publix.

caryrae
10-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Craft Beer: Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss...OMG! I am a fan! I limited myself to one 12oz. Otherwise, I would've drank an unlimited supply! This is a great beer!

I really like this one too, They sell it in liquor stores, I always try to get some around here when comes but it is seasonal.

SBETigg
10-15-2011, 11:51 PM
France. Our favorite by far was France, the escargot in the yummy little pastry that made it easy to eat and not at all messy, and the coq au vin over the cheesy macaroni, wow. Also, South Korea's barbecued beef and kimchi, yum. The Belgian waffle was fairly standard and obvious, but the mussels, delicious. That garlic cream sauce was delicate and lovely. The lamb slider in New Zealand was also quite good. I even liked both Mexican tacos and the spicy tuna sushi (much better than what I get in my supermarket). Ireland's offerings were good, as well as Hawaii's (but not my favorites).

What I didn't like- the shrimp in Australia, way too salty. The salmon in Canada was overcooked and dry.The linguica in Portugal, not so good.

We tried almost everything except for Brazil and Caribbean. I'm sure I have more opinions, but that's all that comes to mind for now.

AgentC
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I tried some items on Friday.

I liked
Pork Sliders in Hawii
Seared Scallop in New Zealand though I agree it cost top much for what it is but I really like scallops and radish salad. I like this. It had really nice complex flavors.
Fisherman pie in Ireland, but it could have used a little more seafood.
Apple Strudel in Germany. This was a great value. It was huge.:)
Lamington in Australia. This is a yellow cake with chocolate and then dipped in coconut. Very yummy.

The griddle cheese in Greece was good, but I could tell the piece I got had been sitting awhile. It would have been better freshly made. Rice pudding in Norway was just okay. It was a little warm. I've had it better at the quick serve.

Did not clear for the dessert plate at Champagne & dessert. Everything was either too sweet for me or had weird flavors.

disney obsessed
10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Brazilian Capirinia
My very favorite. A touch of honey is genious.

We also had lamb chop, chicken flatbread, filet tacos, fondue, pot stickers, escargot, argentinian sausage with olives. Oh no, I have forgotten what else! Must have been the capirinias.:blush: It was all good.

SBETigg
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Did not clear for the dessert plate at Champagne & dessert. Everything was either too sweet for me or had weird flavors.

Cindy, agreed on the dessert, and actually on the champagne selections. A lot of too sweet or odd flavors going on there.

Crow
10-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Im hoping to try a few next wk. where to start?....Ill b using a few snack credits

Hammer
10-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm writing an article for the Intercot Insider on this very topic, but I'll give a quick list of my favorites.

We tried food at the majority of stations, splitting between my Mom, my sister and myself. Personal favorites were grilled lamb chop and shrimp at Australia, Feijoada at Brazil, Black Pepper Shrimp at China, fondue at the cheese kiosk (as well as the Riesling served there), Golabki at Poland, Shrimp cake in Singapore, Lamb Slider in New Zealand, Steamed Mussels at Belgium, and Coq Au Vin at France.

Cindy, agreed on the dessert, and actually on the champagne selections. A lot of too sweet or odd flavors going on there.

See, I love Moët and Chandon Rose Imperial, but my complaint is it is not served cold enough. This is not an issue with the Nicolas Feuillate served at the permanent kiosk in France.

DisneyRN
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
See, Christine, I should've tried the Golabki! I considered it, but was craving Kielbasa. It tasted more like Conecuh sausage, then the authentic, garlicy Kielbasa I have had. :ack:

Jared
10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Christine, Sherri and everyone: Thanks for the tips! We leave for our trip next Saturday. I plan to spend a good portion of it eating.

mouseketeer mom
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Did anyone try the South Africa booth? We are going in 9 days, and I haven't heard anyone mention this one. The offerings of the beef and smashed potatoes sound really good to me.

SBETigg
10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Did anyone try the South Africa booth? We are going in 9 days, and I haven't heard anyone mention this one. The offerings of the beef and smashed potatoes sound really good to me.

Yes, I had this one in the rain. :) It was very good. I didn't try the Bunny Chow, but it looked good too.

SBETigg
10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm writing an article for the Intercot Insider on this very topic, but I'll give a quick list of my favorites.

We tried food at the majority of stations, splitting between my Mom, my sister and myself. Personal favorites were grilled lamb chop and shrimp at Australia, Feijoada at Brazil, Black Pepper Shrimp at China, fondue at the cheese kiosk (as well as the Riesling served there), Golabki at Poland, Shrimp cake in Singapore, Lamb Slider in New Zealand, Steamed Mussels at Belgium, and Coq Au Vin at France.

I agree with your list, with the exception of Australia's shrimp, which was not a winner for me. And I missed Brazil. I thought the golabki in Poland was good, too. I agree with DisneyRN on the kielbasa, though. I was raised in a very Polish area (near Chicopee, MA) and the kielbasa didn't cut it, though I didn't mind the pierogi. I still found it worth a taste.

mdricks
10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I leave in two days and im getting fat just thinking about it.

Iv'e got great ADR's (Bistro, Narcoosse's, LeCellier, Fulton's, Brown Derby and Biergarten) and then all this on top of that.

I could live on the mussels and Leffe alone!

three cheers for "comfort-fit" pants!!

Hip hip......

:number1: