PDA

View Full Version : CM Questions?

DisneyRN
10-15-2011, 09:11 PM
How do CM's get chosen or recruited to come to Orlando and work from countries around the world?

And CM's in general (regardless of country of origin)...how do they "decide" what their job will be at parks?

For example, I spoke to a college program CM from Howard University. Obviously, he was a VERY bright guy...and he was wrapping ornaments and working the register at Days of Christmas. Another example, we spoke to a greeter/turnstill attendent at MK. He was a lifetime attorney from the Northeast, now retired. How does he get assigned there?

The things that make you say, "Hmmm..." :secret:

Cassieblanca
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore, but when I was hired it was:

Recruiter: What do you want?

Me: What do you got?

and it went on like that until i finally said i'd work in food service.

DisneyRN
10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, how do you get to work in Guest Relations? Do you have to prove yourself, or something.

Historically, the Guest Services that work at the windows outside the turnstills aren't the nicest. We found that again so on this trip with trouble with tickets.

So, once you are assigned, how do you "move up?"

Cassieblanca
10-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Guest Relations is a hard spot to get, and you do have to be there for a specific amount of time. Promotions within your department are dependent upon your management team. A transfer within your department just has to be agreed on by your manager, and the manager where you want to go. To transfer to another department you have to go through HR and meet certain requirements. I have no idea if those have changed, I haven't been with the company since Sep of '05.

buddie
10-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore
Really, when did it change?

Cassieblanca
10-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Back in '09 sometime. You have to apply online now. I miss their old hiring process.

Arnold Simba
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Back in '09 sometime. You have to apply online now. I miss their old hiring process.

So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists? A friend of mine who works maintenance for the on-site hotels told me to go there to apply for a position. :confused:

buddie
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists?
CM Academy, what is that?

joanna71985
10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I was originally hired through the College Program. When my last program ended, I applied for fulltime through casting. I was lucky in that the location I wanted had openings, so I got exactly what I wanted.

Back when I applied for FT, the application had spots for 2 roles, and up to 5 locations per role. After that, it was based on what had availability

buddie
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Back when I applied for FT, the application had spots for 2 roles, and up to 5 locations per role. After that, it was based on what had availability
I see you're a CM at the Great Movie Ride. Do CMs working the attractions rotate positions or do you have a set job?
Are you using it as a stepping stone?
Is it mostly enjoyable?

DisneyRN
10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Im still really interested to know how in the world (haha, no pun intended) they get people from Morocco, Great Britian, China, Germany, and further, etc to come work in Orlando... :confused:

Main Street Jim
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Im still really interested to know how in the world (haha, no pun intended) they get people from Morocco, Great Britian, China, Germany, and further, etc to come work in Orlando... :confused:The International CP's are recruited by, well, recruiters...that go through thousands and thousands of applications. ICP's at EPCOT's World Showcase countries, from what I understand, are there on a 6-month visa/rotation.

I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore.

Recruiter: What do you want?

Me: What do you got?

and it went on like that until i finally said i'd work in food service.This is the way it was when I was hired as well. The interviewer asked me where I wanted to work, I asked if they had anything available in Tomorrowland attractions (at the time; this was back in 2000). They said nothing available there, but Main Street Operations (Parade Audience Control, Main Street Vehicles, Turnstiles, WDW Railroad) was available. I *really* wanted to work the Main Street Electrical Parade, which was running from the Millennium Celebration back then, but it ended that run *just* before I got hired in 2001. I started there, worked there for two years part-time, then requested to go full-time. At that time, there were no FT openings on Main Street, so I went to Frontierland Attractions. Worked Splash, TSI rafts, and CBJ for a year. After your initial 12 months full-time, then you can request to transfer to other areas if there's openings. I went back to Main Street, where I stayed for three years. Then I went to Tomorrowland for three more years before moving up here to Ohio.

Nice thing about working for the company: if you don't like one area, stick it out for six months, then request a transfer (as long as the guidelines are met ;) ). Don't like Attractions? Go to Food/Beverage, Resorts, Water Parks, Merchandise. Don't like EPCOT? Transfer to Studios, AK, a resort. Don't like Cosmic Ray's, but wanna stay in the Magic Kingdom? Transfer to Pecos Bill's.

So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists? A friend of mine who works maintenance for the on-site hotels told me to go there to apply for a position.Never heard of it. There's the Casting Center (hiring center - HR), across from Downtown Disney Marketplace. Once you're hired, you attend Traditions (if they still do it....they REALLY need to...), then an indoctrination to whatever area you're going to. As far as Maintenance goes, they have a different hiring process - that was what I first tried to get into.

Do CMs working the attractions rotate positions or do you have a set job?Yes, most attractions (or sets of attractions) have a rotation, so you're not stuck in one spot all day long. When I worked in Tomorrowland Attractions, Speedway was its own rotation, Space was its own, Buzz/CoP/Monsters is one rotation, and Stitch/TTA/Astro is one rotation. Just an example at Speedway, the rotation was:
Greeter 1 - greet guests, straighten strollers
Greeter 2 (busy season)
Line 1 Track 4 - load/unload/assist guests
Line 2 Track 4 - load/unload/assist guests with disabilities
Turnstiles (busy season)
Grouper Track 3/4 - direct guests to load area number
Line 1 Track 3 - load/unload/assist guests
Line 2 Track 3
Grouper Track 1/2
Line 1 Track 2
Line 2 Track 2
Line 1 Track 1
Line 2 Track 1
Bridge - keep an eye for broken-down race cars, assist guests if needed
Bridge 2 (busy season)

For "stepping stones", the process is usually to work in an area for a while, then become a coordinator when openings are available. After being a coordinator for a while (I think a year), you can put your name in for leadership roles, and you go into a "pool" (of names). When those become available, you usually serve a "TA" - "temporary assignment" - as a GSM (guest service manager) to see if you "have what it takes".

I thought that that was the direction I wanted to go - until I learned that coordinators and managers close the park - sometimes at 5am, or even 7am (on Grad Nights!)...LOL...I said "No thanks"...

Going2HeavenRU
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
How is the pay at Disney? Do they pay pretty well once you are full time? Do different areas pay more than others?

Main Street Jim
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I was there for nearly ten years. When I left in January, I was making...less than 10 bucks an hour.

You start at Florida state minimum wage.

WDWdriver
10-18-2011, 08:22 AM
How is the pay at Disney? Do they pay pretty well once you are full time? Do different areas pay more than others?

As Jim said above you must work a long time just to reach a $10 per hour rate. New hires make just above minimum wage. Bus drivers make a bit more. "Face" characters (those not enclosed in a costume) make more because they are considered "performers".

As you walk through one of the parks take a look at the CM faces around you. They generally fall into two categories - young (college age) or old (senior retired folks). There aren't that many in between because it is difficult to raise children and meet the expenses of a family on Disney pay. That also explains the very high turnover rate for CM employment. People love to work there, but many simply can't afford it.

Going2HeavenRU
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow! Definitely a labor of love only. :mickey:

dreamscometrue
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
What an interesting thread! Thanks for all of the info!

DisneyRN
10-20-2011, 09:35 PM
As Jim said above you must work a long time just to reach a $10 per hour rate. New hires make just above minimum wage. Bus drivers make a bit more. "Face" characters (those not enclosed in a costume) make more because they are considered "performers".

As you walk through one of the parks take a look at the CM faces around you. They generally fall into two categories - young (college age) or old (senior retired folks). There aren't that many in between because it is difficult to raise children and meet the expenses of a family on Disney pay. That also explains the very high turnover rate for CM employment. People love to work there, but many simply can't afford it.

So, if I were lucky enough to get a job at the First Aid Center as a nurse, I would get minimum wage? But, I have a Master's Degree! :noway:

WDWdriver
10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
So, if I were lucky enough to get a job at the First Aid Center as a nurse, I would get minimum wage? But, I have a Master's Degree! :noway:

So do I, and I make $8 an hour operating rides at AK. But I love it! :mickey:

Cassieblanca
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I believe nurses would make more. Different roles pay different amounts. I know the starting pay for security over there is $9.75 an hour. Professional roles, like nurses, maintenance, etc., are filled through a different process, and do tend to pay more than entry level roles.

joanna71985
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I see you're a CM at the Great Movie Ride. Do CMs working the attractions rotate positions or do you have a set job?
Are you using it as a stepping stone?
Is it mostly enjoyable?

I am, and absolutely love it! I've been at GMR for almost 2 years (will be 2 years in Jan), and enjoy it as much as I did the day I started. I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, because I'm still having so much fun.

Now- for the second part, it depends on the attraction. Besides GMR, I also work at MuppetVision. There are rotations at both attractions, and the rotations go out aprox every 20-30 min. However, at GMR, the bandit and gangster positions are not included in the rotations