PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the Beach (Club) - Dining Report/QS

SBETigg
10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Our diners:
Sherri, birthday girl.
Sean, accommodating husband.

Tuesday Oct 4 to Sunday October 9, with "free" (yes, I know it's not really free) dining plan.

Quick Service:

Casey's Corner, Magic Kingdom:
A stop at Casey's seems an inevitable and necessary part of every Disney trip, and we made that stop first thing upon entering the Magic Kingdom (hungry husband syndrome).

The person in front of us ordered the Barbeque Slaw Dog - topped with pulled pork, cole slaw and barbeque sauce. What a doozy! That thing was topped with enough meat to feed a family. I had no idea how the guy was going to eat it, but it didn't look manageable with mere plastic utensils.

My husband got the familiar standard Hot Dog Meal - served with french fries, and opted to eat it plain without any toppings at all.

Feeling adventurous and intrigued with new gourmet dog selections, I went ahead and tried the Chicago Style Hot Dog - topped with tomato slices, dill pickle, Chicago-style relish and banana peppers. Vegetables, I thought, should be easy toppings to manage. I thought wrong! The tomatoes, pickle, relish, and banana peppers were heaped, heaped on top of that dog so high that I feared for my white blouse. What was I thinking? I picked off a layer of vegetables with a fork- very tasty, actually- before diving in to the dog. Casey's has changed the buns again, or I just don't remember them to be so dense and chewy, almost like sub rolls. I picked off the bread (and more vegetables) around my dog just so I could get in there and get a good bite.

Verdict: Despite the questionably puffy bun and avalanche of toppings, Casey's did not disappoint. I'm glad I tried the Chicago dog. It was really good, if a tad overstuffed.

Captain Cook's, Polynesian:
Our last day at WDW was spent visiting our favorite resorts, with lunch at Captain Cook's. Why? Two words: Dole. Whip. Problem? The Dole Whip machine was down! Nooooo. Yes.

So, I just had to make do with a cupcake (day after my birthday, still in party mode, why not?). We both got the 1/3 lb Angus Bacon Cheeseburger.

Verdict: It was standard Disney QS fare, no raves, no complaints. Better had we ordered the really yummy adult grilled cheese or one of the more resort-specific Polynesian influenced selections.

Beach Club Marketplace, Beach Club:
On a few separate visits, we tried the Smoked Ham and Black Diamond Cheddar Sandwich, Flatbread with Pepperoni, and Barbecued Chicken Flatbread.

Verdict: Not a fan of the marketplace. The ham sandwiches were reasonably tasty, no fault there. The flatbreads were pretty close to terrible. The real problem with the BC Marketplace is that it's in the middle of the gift shop. This ruined gift shop browsing for me, and made getting food there kind of a drag. I really do not like the way the Beach Club handles the quick service, or the gift shop. Seating for the quick service venues were nice outdoors or indoors areas, though- across and down the hall. Inconvenient, but lovely spaces.

See also:
Table Service Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186442)
Signature Dining Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186443)

faline
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
There's still something magical about a hot dog from Casey's!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the report...we're in the minority in that we're not a fan of Casey's but that gourmet sounds good

Checkers
10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
:mickey:Looking forward to sampling the hot dog at Casey's soon!

AgentC
10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Beach Club Marketplace, Beach Club:
On a few separate visits, we tried the Smoked Ham and Black Diamond Cheddar Sandwich, Flatbread with Pepperoni, and Barbecued Chicken Flatbread.

Verdict: Not a fan of the marketplace. The ham sandwiches were reasonably tasty, no fault there. The flatbreads were pretty close to terrible. The real problem with the BC Marketplace is that it's in the middle of the gift shop. This ruined gift shop browsing for me, and made getting food there kind of a drag. I really do not like the way the Beach Club handles the quick service, or the gift shop. Seating for the quick service venues were nice outdoors or indoors areas, though- across and down the hall. Inconvenient, but lovely spaces.

I totally agree with you. I really enjoy the Beach Club and Yacht Club but the quick serve is just adequate. We had to do room service for breakfast because you can get mickey waffle that way but not at quick serve.

Jared
10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I totally agree with you. I really enjoy the Beach Club and Yacht Club but the quick serve is just adequate. We had to do room service for breakfast because you can get mickey waffle that way but not at quick serve.

To me, the dearth of counter-service options at the Epcot resorts is the area's greatest (only?) flaw. I don't understand why one of those hotels can't have a place like Capt. Cook's or Contempo Cafe for a quick breakfast before heading out to the parks. I agree that the Beach Club Marketplace is inadequate.

Mickey'sGirl
10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Overall, I think Disney flatbreads are underwhelming. So, your comments do not surprise me. I am so sorry you missed out on your Dole Whip. Did you manage to get one over at MK?

SBETigg
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Overall, I think Disney flatbreads are underwhelming. So, your comments do not surprise me. I am so sorry you missed out on your Dole Whip. Did you manage to get one over at MK?

Nope. We didn't get back over there. Sadly, it was a Dole Whip free trip. This means I need to go back sooner. ;)