PDA

View Full Version : water rides in the winter months??

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
We usually go in the heat of September. Next year we are going November 28-Dec. 7, I know the weather can be iffy. What happens with the water rides? When it is cold there, do they still run them, ir is there some switch where atendees get "less wet"? Just curious? My daughters discovered Splash Mountain for the first time (yay to 40 inches) I am wondering how to ride with them, but not have them freeze at the end!

Coleby
10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Sometimes during the winter months the water rides can go down for a refurb (sprucing up), but othertimes, I have seen it where some how you don't get as wet. But I am only talking about Splash.

As for the water parks, those close for the season during the winter.

buddie
10-13-2011, 09:44 PM
As for the water parks, those close for the season during the winter.

BB is scheduled to close Oct 30th thru Dec 4th and TL closes on the 4th until March 17th.
There is at least one WDW water park open year round except for the overlap day.

joonyer
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
They usually turn off the water cannons on Splash Mtn. on really cold days. But you could still get drenched on the big drop. But November & December in central Fla are not really "winter" months, especially compared to CT. We have enjoyed the water parks in late October.

Mousemates
10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
We have been doing New Years at Disney for the last five years and typically over the course of four day stay there will be one day when its warm enough for a day at the waterparks, one day when its definitely too cold...and a couple of days that are marginal.

The thing to do when it comes to riding splash mtn in cooler weather is to do it just before the warmest part of the day....say around one in the afternoon...so if you "hit it lucky" and get the big splash you have time to air dry before the sun sets and the temp really drops. However, if its a pretty chilly day and you just cant go without a ride, you might bring a change of clothes to the park with you and put in a storage locker for a "just in case."

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
thanks! I was referring more to Splash and Kali RR. We dont do the water parks (until the baby is older anyway!)

disneymom15
10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
You could bring rain ponchos and wear them on those types of rides.

Gator
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I can only remember 1 day out of the 42 days I've spent there (36 in winter months) where it was too cold to ride a water ride. They'll be open and have shorter lines than the warm months.

NewDVCowner
10-14-2011, 05:04 PM
You could bring rain ponchos and wear them on those types of rides.

I second this! That's what we'll do in the winter if we just have to get on the water rides. Just be aware that ponches don't do a lot for footwear so if it's a cold day you may want to bring a change of shoes and socks.

WDWdriver
10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Kali River Rapids can be toned down a bit on really cold days. Some geysers are turned off and the spraying elephants will not operate. But guests can still get soaked, and it is surprising how many will ride even on the coldest days.

Granny Jill A
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Sit at the back or next to the back of the log on Splash. You don't get as soaked.

Not sure about Kali River Rapids. It may be the luck of the spin, but everyone seems to get drenched. Yuck.