PDA

View Full Version : Wifi is coming to DVC

Maleficent's Dad
10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
All indications point towards wifi being installed at the DVC resorts. Techs have been installing the hardware in guest rooms recently, and as of this week, more than 50% of BLT was receiving wifi signals. I had one day (of a 5 day trip) with free wifi at OKW (on 9/29, bldg 63). So far there is no definitive word on pricing, but thus far it appears that there will be a "basic" level of service for free, and faster speeds for a fee. No word on "secure connections" as it's wifi.

seanyred
10-13-2011, 04:47 PM
All indications point towards wifi being installed at the DVC resorts. Techs have been installing the hardware in guest rooms recently, and as of this week, more than 50% of BLT was receiving wifi signals. I had one day (of a 5 day trip) with free wifi at OKW (on 9/29, bldg 63). So far there is no definitive word on pricing, but thus far it appears that there will be a "basic" level of service for free, and faster speeds for a fee. No word on "secure connections" as it's wifi.

If this ends up being true I wonder if the free wifi would be for everyone or just DVC members?

Aurora
10-13-2011, 06:02 PM
If this ends up being true I wonder if the free wifi would be for everyone or just DVC members?

Right now the Internet connection is free only to DVC members, so I'd imagine it would be the same for wifi.

MinnieMommie
10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
This is great news! Not sure why they didn't build it into BLT from the get go but good they are finally offering this to us. I can't imagine why they would not offer us a secure connection through the resort.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't understand why everyone wants Wifi instead of a Cat5 connection. Wifi will always be less reliable and more likely to drop out during peak times of use and wireless is always going to be far less secure. At every hotel (including the one I am at right now) we stay at we set the laptop up in it's "spot" and it doesn't move the whole trip. What am I missing that makes wireless so much more attractive?

magicofdisney
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
My iPad works off wifi and if I use wifi with my phone, I'm not using my data plan. I don't even travel with a laptop anymore.

CosmicRay
10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
DH will be happy to hear about this!

DizHawk
10-13-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't understand why everyone wants Wifi instead of a Cat5 connection. Wifi will always be less reliable and more likely to drop out during peak times of use and wireless is always going to be far less secure. At every hotel (including the one I am at right now) we stay at we set the laptop up in it's "spot" and it doesn't move the whole trip. What am I missing that makes wireless so much more attractive?

The main reason is because, like magicofdisney said, most of the devices I travel with don't have CAT5 connections. My laptop does, but our phones or iPad doesn't. I was just sitting here thinking that I should pack a wireless router to take with me in a few weeks so that I can still use the Internet on the various devices. Keeps me from having to pay overages to AT&T when the kids want to watch a movie on Netflix at the end of the day.

dlpmikki
10-14-2011, 06:56 AM
OKW might be getting it because when they did the refurn they put the connection in the most awkward place possible for the one beds up. You need to be a contortionist to use it!

Checkers
10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
:mickey:Great news! Hope we are able to get it when we arrive at the end of next week.

MinnieMommie
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
OKW might be getting it because when they did the refurn they put the connection in the most awkward place possible for the one beds up. You need to be a contortionist to use it!.

LOL = so true!

The one connection spot is problematic for my family...we have multiple users and having the connection in the master bedroom is not convenient. We make it work but the wifi will be preferable,

Goofy4TheWorld
10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
:old:

I forgot about all these new-fangled contraptions everyone but me is carrying around!

seanyred
10-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Another website is reporting that the Free In-Room wifi is starting today :party: in all Deluxe resorts. Hope it is true.

JPL
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM
While this is great news I am still concerned about the connection speeds! I mean there wired connection is pretty much stuck at 1999 speed ;)

Melanie
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Another website is reporting that the Free In-Room wifi is starting today :party: in all Deluxe resorts. Hope it is true.

It's true. We've got all the details here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186445).

Ed
10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
OKW might be getting it because when they did the refurn they put the connection in the most awkward place possible for the one beds up. You need to be a contortionist to use it!

Apparently OKW has it up and running already; I read a post elsewhere from someone staying there now, posting from his iPad.

When we stayed at OKW in August, not only was the cable in a terrible location, it didn't work :mad: , and WDW's IT folks couldn't get it to work either. :badpc: