PDA

View Full Version : Buying new or used?

Deesdisney
10-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I have been talking to WVC salespeople about buying points. But the resales are a little cheaper and I can get more. However there is a difference on how you can use the points which I am very confused on. Can someone please tell me how I can use my points? example can we use them at the hotels if we buy used and on the cruise. I would really appreciate any help.:confused:

Pirate Granny
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
If you buy DVC resale, you can no longer use for hotels or cruises, as of March 31st.

DizHawk
10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
To be accurate, you can no longer use resale points for the Disney Collection (all non-DVC resorts at Disneyland and WDW), Disney Cruise Line, the Concierge Collection, and Adventures by DIsney. You can use them for the DVC resorts, RCI, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.

CosmicRay
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
They are not valid for the different Travel package "collections" (Adventure Collection for example) they are also not valid for non-Disney properties and cruise lines. But they are still good on property though (so BLT, SSR, AKV for example).

Aurora
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
To be accurate, you can no longer use resale points for the Disney Collection (all non-DVC resorts at Disneyland and WDW), Disney Cruise Line, the Concierge Collection, and Adventures by DIsney. You can use them for the DVC resorts, RCI, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.

:ditto: This is correct. It can be confusing when you buy resale.

To reiterate...

Resale points CAN be used for:
DVC resorts (such as Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Aulani in Hawaii, Grand Californian Villas at Disneyland, etc.)
RCI resorts
Club Cordial
Club Intrawest

Resale points CANNOT be used for:
Disney resorts such as the Polynesian, Contemporary, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Disneyland Hotel, etc.
Concierge Collection
Adventures by Disney
Disney Cruise Line

NH Disneyfan
10-29-2011, 09:41 AM
First, I have NOT done any recent calculations for the options where DVC cannot be used as a resale however....

When I previously did calculations for cruises, they were NOT a good use of points and I could save $$ by using cash. Now, this assumes I don't have points in DVC that I need to use or lose, in which case it may be less expensive in a certain situation to use points for a cruise, Adventure by Disney, or other non-DVC Disney resort.

With everything, do your research. When buying direct from Disney you will get "more" for your ownership, but "more" is only good if you'll actually use it. In my family's case, we saved a LOT of $$ buying resale and at this point, I don't ever see us staying somewhere other than a DVC resort or RCI exchange.

brivers222
01-28-2012, 01:25 AM
I just stumbled upon the fact that "the Grand Hotel" in Mackinac Island is no longer offered in the conceirge collection and that was one of the cool selling points buying direct. My parents own at BlueGreen and have a billion points (platinum) so we can use RCI to go anywhere we really want.

For DVC we only want to spend it at DVC resorts (the big plus over just having BlueGreen).

SO now my question is if we buy resale are we still considered "DVC OWNERS" in that we get all the other perks like discount on APs and dining plan.... or are those also only for direct buyers.

Will we still get a DVC card buying Resale??

DonLefNY
01-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, you'll still get the blue DVC member card & get member discounts You can still book any DVC resort and swap out to RCI.

MinnieMommie
01-29-2012, 04:57 PM
This is always an interesting question. It does seem that for those who only plan to stay at Disney the resale market makes sense. When you purchase from DVC you get to pick your use year month and generally they offer some kind of incentive. For first time purchasers there is a minimum amount of points requirement through DVC so if you want less points than they require this would be another reason to look at the resale market. As the gap in the cost per point between DVC and the resale market widens the resale market becomes more attractive.

brivers222
01-29-2012, 09:38 PM
This is always an interesting question. It does seem that for those who only plan to stay at Disney the resale market makes sense. When you purchase from DVC you get to pick your use year month and generally they offer some kind of incentive. For first time purchasers there is a minimum amount of points requirement through DVC so if you want less points than they require this would be another reason to look at the resale market. As the gap in the cost per point between DVC and the resale market widens the resale market becomes more attractive.
Yeah i mean if i can still get the discount APs, the blue DVC card and the dining plan... I am all set picking up resale. our platinum bluegreen would take care of any offsite DVC locations pretty much anywhere in the world.

At first i didn't think so, but the more I think about it i will only be using it to stay at DVC resorts. and if i can save around $50 a point thats HUGE!