PDA

View Full Version : Disney instituting Credit Card guarantee for ADRs after 10/26/2011

brivers222
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Just saw this on facebook from another site....

looks like this is going to be interesting...

main resturants will require a 24hour cancellation or a $10 per guest on ressie fee will be charged to credit card on file.

i kinda like this idea... but i have come across several times where Disney online reservations can not find my records to post online so that I can cancel them. Makes me wonder just how many are floating around out there that I am un aware of because online doesn't list them...

Strmchsr
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
This policy won't be for all restaurants, but it will be for 1900 Park Fare, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Artist Point, California Grill, Cape May Café, Chef Mickey’s, Cítricos, The Crystal Palace, Flying Fish Café, The Garden Grill, Hollywood & Vine, Jiko – The Cooking Place, Le Cellier Steakhouse, Narcoossee’s, ‘Ohana, Tusker House Restaurant, The Hollywood Brown Derby, Victoria & Albert’s - $25 per person, Yachtsman Steakhouse.

I'm thrilled by this. I know some folks like to make multiple ADRs so they can have their pick later, but it's really not fair to book an ADR and then decide not to use it, which keeps someone else from getting in who might really have wanted to dine there. Hopefully this will help.

Oh, and if you can't see your reservations online, click on the right side the button that says "update reservations." They will usually bring them up for you. Sometimes it's a little glitch in the system that causes them to not all appear but that always fixes it for me.

brivers222
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
i am a fan of this too...

hopefully using that update will display all possible ressies... i don't want any surprises on my card lol

AgentC
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I think this is an okay plan to prevent double (and triple) booking but I am wondering how it will be handled.

For example, I normally travel with my mom, my two kids and husband. If I know my mom isn't interested in a specific meal, I don't book it, but there have been times she decides at the last minute not to come. So, if I show up with 4 instead of 5, will I be charged $10 for her?

I also wonder if they are going to improve their mobile site to take the credit card info. I use my phone to book meals all the time. I often use it same day in the parks. The mobile site does not take credit card info and refers you to calling, so it appears if you want to book at any of these places you will have to call or use your computer. Just seems silly to not be able to book some of the most popular spots using the mobile site.

c&d
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Hopefully this will open up more tables at the restaurants. I'm all for it.

DizneyRox
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
So... If you don't have a credit card, you're not able to make a reservation? There are TONS of people who don't have them. I don't understand it, but I know there are a lot.

And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later. I know they charge HDD, and whatnot at the time of reservation, even though for the longest time they said they didn't.

People planning 180+ days in advance, I can see a lot of instances where the card used for the hold wouldn't be valid at the time of the reservation. For example, I don't get a replacement card for one that's expiring until like the month before. Many people change cards like their underwear to avoid fees, etc. This seems like it could be a nightmare...

Which is why I'm thinking they will charge up front, but then you have the whole problem with refunding money. That $10 guarantee actually turns out to be less than $10 to Disney once you take into account transaction fees, etc. But, as the customer, I want $10 back on my card, not $9.28... This could end up costing Disney money.

Interesting solution for sure...

retiredfigment
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I am all for this, but hope they will be nice enough to make an exception for emergencies. For example, we missed a restaurant reservation once due to a flight delay.

starryeyes21
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I guess I will be in the minority when I say that I don't like this policy. I think Disney should do a better job of making sure people aren't making mulitple reservations for the same day and time. I agree that it's not fair to allow people to do that, but I feel that this is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.

Here's my question, what about people who are not trying to intentionally cheat the system? There are times when things come up and it is not possible to get to a reservation. For example, when my son was six months old my family had reservations for Ohana. On the way to the restaurant he had a diaper accident of unthinkable proportions. There was nothing to do but take him back to the room for a bath, missing the reservation. Under this new rule I would have been charged forty dollars for the adults that were unable to show up.

Just to me, this new rule seems to penalize those of us who have very small children. Life is slightly more unpredictable when your child is two as opposed to when your child is ten. I think that twenty four hours notice is crazy. My doctor doesn't even ask for that!

It just feels like Disney is picking my pocket again. Find a solution to the real problem, multiple reservations. Why add more stress to my vacations? Isn't it bad anough that I have to make reservations 180 days in advance in order to eat. Now, I have to worry about losing money if my family can not, legitimately, make it to a restaurant.

Itchy
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
So... If you don't have a credit card, you're not able to make a reservation? There are TONS of people who don't have them. I don't understand it, but I know there are a lot.

And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later. I know they charge HDD, and whatnot at the time of reservation, even though for the longest time they said they didn't.

People planning 180+ days in advance, I can see a lot of instances where the card used for the hold wouldn't be valid at the time of the reservation. For example, I don't get a replacement card for one that's expiring until like the month before. Many people change cards like their underwear to avoid fees, etc. This seems like it could be a nightmare...

Which is why I'm thinking they will charge up front, but then you have the whole problem with refunding money. That $10 guarantee actually turns out to be less than $10 to Disney once you take into account transaction fees, etc. But, as the customer, I want $10 back on my card, not $9.28... This could end up costing Disney money.

Interesting solution for sure...

I know that recently when we booked Hoop Dee Doo review we forgot to tell them that we were on the dining plan and they charged my credit card. Once I called Disney Dining folks they reversed the charge on my credit card.

When I have booked Cali Grill in the past they never charged my credit card, they took it just in case of a no show. I am not sure what they would have charged per person in my party if we failed to show up.

My guess is if you are on the dining plan they will not charge you the full price up front.

Strmchsr
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later.

They only charge if you don't show up. No pre-charge.

Here's my question, what about people who are not trying to intentionally cheat the system? There are times when things come up and it is not possible to get to a reservation.

That concern is valid. And I had that happen last month during our visit. Mid-afternoon my son wasn't feeling well so we decided to skip the reservation and go back to the room. The solution was simple, though. I just called the WDW-Dine number and cancelled my reservation. Took about 30 seconds. I could have done it from my smartphone as well, but I had left it in the room. So, while it might be a little hassle, canceling the reservation if you can't make it is all it takes to prevent being charged and that will open up the spot for a walk-up. Also, this does not apply to all restaurants (see my list in the post above).

McLiberal8
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm assuming if I already have ADRs at some of those restaurants for a January trip, I won't need to call them now and give them a CC number..?
Is this just for ADRs made from here on out?

starryeyes21
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Strmchsr: While what you are saying is completely reasonable and what responsible people do when unable to make a reservation, as per the new dining policy one would have to give twenty-four hours notice in order to not be penalized. This gives no wiggle room for emergencies.

To me, sadly, it seems like a way to take money without providing a service. There is no way that Disney requires twenty four hours to re-book a reservation slot. People are constantly looking for walk up reservations. So, Disney double dips. They charge you ten dollars per person and then they give the table to someone else who just walked up to the podium. That person then pays for a full dinner. I'm not saying that it's not genius. I'm just saying it's not fair.

Basket Mommy
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
That concern is valid. And I had that happen last month during our visit. Mid-afternoon my son wasn't feeling well so we decided to skip the reservation and go back to the room. The solution was simple, though. I just called the WDW-Dine number and cancelled my reservation. Took about 30 seconds.

From what I read, there will be a 24-hour cancellation requirement. So, calling on the same day will still mean a charge. That totally stinks, because I have had to cancel ADRs on the same day due to illness on previous trips. I would raise holy heck if I had been charged. Do they want me to drag my vomiting child to the restaurant just so I can avoid being charged $60 (us plus 4 kids) for missing the reservation?!?

Dave H
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I guess I will be in the minority when I say that I don't like this policy. I think Disney should do a better job of making sure people aren't making mulitple reservations for the same day and time. I agree that it's not fair to allow people to do that, but I feel that this is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.

+1.

It should not be possible to book more than one ADR per meal slot (B,L,D) per day, except in specific circumstances which a call to Disney Dining could authorize. For example, people who want to eat "lunch" at 3:30pm and then the latest possible "dinner" - would technically be two dinners.

That's rare though, and simply not allowing multiple ADR's per slot would certainly solve some of the problems with booked-solid restaurants.

Strmchsr
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
From what I read, there will be a 24-hour cancellation requirement. So, calling on the same day will still mean a charge.

You're right. I went back and double-checked the press release. I'm guessing, however, that there will be some contingency plan for emergencies. Granted, that might open another loophole for abusing the system, but I don't think Disney wants the PR nightmare of people being charged $40+ because their child starts :ack: 2 hours before the ADR. I don't see any fine print in the release, but I'll definitely email Disney about it and see what their response is once they implement this.

WDWhuny
10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I would not mind paying $10 if I knew that when I arrived MY table would be ready. But, I don't truly have a reservation. Remember, Disney does not have dining reservations. (see info central) I will just get the first table available and as of right now Disney has over booked (its the system) and needs people to not show up. If everyone shows up the first two weeks of November when I will be there, they will be serving dinner all night long. I have had my reservations since July and have worked very, very hard to get them. I am with a group of 11 and we are eating at all of the listed restaurants. I also am dealing with an issue with Disney. On one night I have a reservation listed at O'hana and 1990 Park Fare. I have tried and tried to cancel the 1900 Park Fare reservation but they cannot get it off of my reservations. I have tried canceling myself and it will not cancel. They have assured me it is not a problem. Today, it is really looking like an expensive problem!

Ms. Mode
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I like it! One ressie per meal should be enough, even in the planning stage. :mickey:

disneyfan328
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I am curious - I booked an ADR for 1900 Park fare and I did not give a cc (for a January 2012 ADR) so how does that work? should I have given a card? they didn't ask for one so I knew nothing about it......:confused:

Strmchsr
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I am curious - I booked an ADR for 1900 Park fare and I did not give a cc (for a January 2012 ADR) so how does that work? should I have given a card? they didn't ask for one so I knew nothing about it......:confused:

I believe this policy is only for ADRs made on or after Oct 26. I am assuming it will not apply to ADRs already made.

amy853
10-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Strmchsr: where did you see this press release? I've been looking for it online and can't find it. Thanks!

brivers222
10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
i got it as a facebook update from another site... (not able to name names here)

But yeah it only applies to ressies MADE after 10/26.... so if you don't make any changes after that point you basically just stay as you are.

25th is my 45 mark so i am "hoping" some cancellations open up and i can book some places I have been waiting for!

buddie
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM
It is official.

PopPhan
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Text of article:

Walt Disney World Changes its Dining Reservations Cancellation Policy
Posted on October 12, 2011 by {name removed}

Beginning October 26 Disney has adjusted their restaurant cancellation policy for certain restaurants. Guests will be required to provide a credit card to hold the reservation and there will be a $10 per person charge if the reservation is not canceled at least one day in advance. The list of restaurants is:

• 1900 Park Fare
• Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
• Artist Point
• California Grill
• Cape May Café
• Chef Mickey’s
• Cítricos
• The Crystal Palace
• Flying Fish Café
• The Garden Grill
• Hollywood & Vine
• Jiko – The Cooking Place
• Le Cellier Steakhouse
• Narcoossee’s
• ‘Ohana
• Tusker House Restaurant
• The Hollywood Brown Derby
• Yachtsman Steakhouse
• Victoria & Albert’s (cancellation policy is $25/per person)

Pre-paid dining locations will continue to charge the full, pre-paid amount if the reservation is not cancelled at least a day in advance. Those locations are:

• Cinderella’s Royal Table
• Disney’s Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
• Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
• Mickey’s Backyard BBQ

Reservations can be cancelled at any table-service restaurant podium, any resort ront desk, concierge or guest relations, online at DisneyWorld.com/Dining or by calling the dining cancellation number 407-WDW-CNCL.

Goes4FastPass
10-12-2011, 09:41 PM
1. It's entirely true. I was sent a detailed update by my travel booker deluxe Wendy Darling at Magical Journeys. Once again, great service!

2. I'm all for this 100%. Too many smart-alec "insiders" book, overbook and doublebook blocking resources because they don't know what mood they'll be in that day. Meanwhile, well intentioned planners get locked out.

3. I'm all for this 100%. Accept my reservation, take my credit card number and If when I get to WDW I'm "too busy" to cancel, charge me.

buddie
10-12-2011, 09:45 PM
It's entirely true.

What, you doubted me?

dnickels
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I think it's a great idea for the same double/triple booking reasons others have mentioned.

I wouldn't get too worried about the 'what if we get sick an hour before our reservation' time issue. For all the penny pinching Disney does they actually are very accommodating when it comes to emergencies that come up.

Granny Jill A
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I am one who does NOT like requirement that you make dining decisions 180 days out. I can understand some venues needing to know attendance figures so staffing can be arranged, but 6 months is a little much.

I'm glad other restaurant chains haven't picked up on this idea. Imagine having to call Olive Garden in January for a dinner in June.

A compromise would be to hold out a certain number of seats for walk-ups, and like FastPass, when they're gone they're gone.

Strmchsr
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't get too worried about the 'what if we get sick an hour before our reservation' time issue. For all the penny pinching Disney does they actually are very accommodating when it comes to emergencies that come up.

I checked with the official sources. There is no official contingency plan for emergency situations. It appears Disney will deal with those on a case by case basis (no guarantee they won't charge you if you have a sickness - but if you call or have one of your party show up and explain you'll at least have a chance of not being charged) but they are not going to put an official "out" in the policy because that would just lead to further abuse.

FriendsofMickey
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I do not like it.

I agree with cancelling your ressies and being charged for a "no show", but why 24 hour notice?

As for the ones that said you should not be able to make multiple ressies for a set time (say lunch), I disagree. I have more than once had to make multiple ressies. We have had large groups goign down (grand gathering) and the restaraunts did not have the ressies to give us at one restaraunt, so we split them up. I was in charge of coordinating all the ressies. I would be surprised if thsi did not occur daily.

Again, I am all for them charging you if you just do not show up. I just do not think the window of 24 hours is reasonable.

For the record, I have twice had to cancel a ressie, but never missed one.

TinkerbellT421
10-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I am 110% in favor of this policy.
This makes complete and perfect sense to me. :thumbsup:
Personally, it really gets to me when people make last minute changes or just "don't show up to a reservation". I think there is a high number of people that are selfish and do not think of other people that are trying to get in reservations, book three or four reservations at three or four different restaurants to see "where they end up" and not have the curteousy to cancel ahead of time. That is just plain rude and I feel Disney has every right to require CC reservation. Especially that most of the restaurants listed are some of the first restaurants that fill up with reservations. I am sure they found that there was a high number of people making such reservations and just not showing up. And if you think about it, Disney is losing money on every reservation that "doesn't show up" because they are turning away guests that "walk up" because they are looking at reservations on their computers for people that are not going to appear and now the people they turned away could have been there.
DBF and I sit there and make tentative park locations on where we plan on being or if we are here will be able to go there and plan our meals accordingly. If others do not want to do that and make 3 reservations to pick and choose from the day of....I don't feel that's Disneys problem.
I am sure based on people's emergencies they will not charge.
Also, I personally feel this could be more of a "scare tactic" to those that may have less the honorable intentions for reserving. Would you make a reservation and not atleast make a curteously call of not being able to make it if you were going to be charged $10.00 per person?

brivers222
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
it would be really cool now if Disney could search for all ressies placed under a certain credit card... Last I checked 2 weeks ago they couldn't.

I had an instance where the online site said "i have conflicting reservations you must delete one" when I looked at my ressies I had just one that day HDDMR... but the message kept popping up when i went to view ressie sheet. So i called and they couldn't see any conflicting things, but my worry is that i might have had a Cali Grill way back at the 180 mark that I thought i deleted and it could still be there waiting for me in the abyss like my dark passenger to not show up and ding my card the 'no-show" price

LVT
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
1. I strongly disagree with the 24 hours. 2 hours would at least cover many of the emergency, traffic/ and I forgot.
2. " It is not a reservation" it is inappropriate to treat it that way.
3. CC changes are common at 180 days out.
4. We used to go to many of these places and now are not likely too, since I will not make many reservations under these rules. 5. I am already in data overload just to get to WDW.
I could cry.

Tink1
10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Posting as a person, not a travel agent.

I can see why the PTB at Disney are doing this, and frankly agree.

There are people who book dining "in case" free dining comes out.. They do it at the 180 day mark of their potential trip, doing it day by day.

These people have no set reservations, no air tickets, really no dog in the race. Yet they hold reservations "just in case".

You have NO idea how much that irks me.

Nanc

brivers222
10-13-2011, 11:18 AM
last year we had a situation where we decided to go to a 3rd MNSSHP on a whim.... only problem was that we had a dinner reservation at Ohana that night. We "tried" to cancel it upon buying the party tickets... system was down so CM just said don't show up.

Problem is this time around Disney would be losing our $120 because I will not want to pay a $20 cancelation fee ($10 for each of us) to break our reservation... so in essenence this new rule would have stopped us from paying more to go to another party.

brivers222
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Posting as a person, not a travel agent.

I can see why the PTB at Disney are doing this, and frankly agree.

There are people who book dining "in case" free dining comes out.. They do it at the 180 day mark of their potential trip, doing it day by day.

These people have no set reservations, no air tickets, really no dog in the race. Yet they hold reservations "just in case".

You have NO idea how much that irks me.

Nanc

I wonder if they should instead institue a 45 day booking rule... Meaning your trip (confirmation)has to be paid in full in order make a ressie...

I do understand that would stop some regular residents from booking... maybe they can have to log in with their state issued ID or something?

I booked 22 resservations at my 180 mark, but I had a reservation number and I have deluxe dining.... I would be willing to wait until the 45 day mark though to book.... if everyone else was.

Tink1
10-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I wonder if they should instead institue a 45 day booking rule... Meaning your trip (confirmation)has to be paid in full in order make a ressie...

Personally feel 45 days is more than adequate to be plan dining. Doubt they would ever do that though.

I don't know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone 6 months from now.

But, I used to love the kiosks in Epcot to make same day dining (showing my age!)

Nanc

brivers222
10-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Personally feel 45 days is more than adequate to be plan dining. Doubt they would ever do that though.

But, I used to love the kiosks in Epcot to make same day dining (showing my age!)

Nanc

lol we are going to disney on ice tonight... so we have to eat on the fly. t-minus 6 hours and NO IDEA what to eat ;)

Disney is the only place I actually think about what to eat months in advance... and even then I change and tweak daily... not so much after the 26th... but i have changed dining options totally from my original plan haha

Stickey
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
The goal of preventing ADR abuse is a good one, however, I disagree with the 24 hour cancellation requirement. For no-shows, a charge would be acceptable. There should not be a fee if the ADR is cancelled prior to the reservation. The list of restaurants is also questionable.

There have been a few times that we have had to cancel an ADR within 24 hours. An ADR may need to be cancelled due to illness, travel delays, or a change in plans.

Wolf
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't like this at all..Not that we've ever cheated the system but what if you run late? Will they charge you right at 7pm if your a few minutes late? Its not like these resturants are notorious for taking the "Opps my bad" approach to things...I think this will reduce our sit down meals by alot. Things like that happen ALOT when you don't have a car because Disney so awesomely provides transportation but that doesn't guarantee you can get there on time...I just dont like this idea...one more huge reduction to the magic...

Granny Jill A
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Nanc

Agree 100% - and I sure miss World Key :(

DizneyRox
10-13-2011, 02:45 PM
The 24 hours is there to make this a revenue stream. Just canceling prior to the ADR is good enough to fill the seats, but that wouldn't add to profits.

A systematic solution to preventing multiple ADRs is the right answer, but again, that's just a cost. There's no financial incentive in doing that.

Chic-a-pin
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I think this is a step in the right direction on Disney's part. Hopefully this will help bring back some of the quality that seems to have been lost along the way too!:number1:

joonyer
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
The 24 hours is there to make this a revenue stream. Just canceling prior to the ADR is good enough to fill the seats, but that wouldn't add to profits.

A systematic solution to preventing multiple ADRs is the right answer, but again, that's just a cost. There's no financial incentive in doing that.

Yes it's a "profit" for Disney, but human nature has demonstrated that if there is no penalty, there will be no change in behavior; that is without a penalty, most people will not be cancelling ADR's when they don't intend to show up. I agree that there should be a way to prevent multiple ADR bookings for the same time period. DIsney could use the penalty fees to pay for such a system upgrade.

TinkerbellT421
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I might be comparing apples to oranges here BUT I work in a company where I schedule inspections based upon requirements of state law. Some people do not care or understand the responsibility and liability in this. Either way I schedule these inspections one month to two months in advance. I cannot even tell you how many people never show up for the appointment, which I have scheduled a two hour slot for and have two technicians sitting around waiting and you cannot just send them to the next appointment as those people were advised for a certain time and have done whatever they need to do to accomodate that time. Well, after no avail of reaching anyone, I have two technicians for two hours doing nothing waiting for the next thing because a customer who received a post card, email and multiple phone call confirmations decided to "blow it off". After you notice a "trend" in this behavior you have to hit them where it hurts. So we implemented a no-show charge policy. Yes, in unforseen circumstances where they call and say "I had to pick up my children from school" or even call the next day and say "I am so sorry I got in an accident and wasnt reachable at the time" THey do not get charged. But unfortunately we are in a society where people do not get it until it inconveniences THEM directly. Its almost like comparing it to a "tough love". And anytime we sent out a bill for the wasted time and effort, there were times where people called and complained and we would politely credit it and the customer got the hint.
And ironically they would never not show up again.

faberj
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I have all my resis's booked for our trip in March, do I need to call and give them my card??? I don't want any of them canceled and I have a bunch of them at the places listed.

Strmchsr
10-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I have all my resis's booked for our trip in March, do I need to call and give them my card??? I don't want any of them canceled and I have a bunch of them at the places listed.

This only applies to ADRs made or changed after Oct 26.

Jared
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
This is a very interesting development, and even after a couple days to ruminate I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the whole thing. Generally, I understand why Disney decided it needed to implement this policy, and I'm not convinced that it's solely a money grab. Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I believe Disney acknowledged a flaw in its system and is making an effort to rectify it.

Ideally, it wouldn't have come to this, but average guests have proven they will not play honestly and fairness. Like all restrictive policies, it ends up hurting the honest folks out there. That's an unfortunate side effect.

Ultimately, though, I think the initial outcry may be a bit unfounded. I'm sure Disney will waive the fee in many situations, but perhaps the threat will serve as a deterrent.

DizneyRox
10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Probably not... There are ways around the system to book two or more ressies at the same time. This will only deter a few people. The abusers will still make multiples and will cancel them last minute (24 hours is still last minute considering they can be booked 6 months out). Walk ups may get a chance, but those that tried and failed to get their LeCellier at 5 months will have found something else and won't know of the opening' or may have a penalty for cancelling something else.

Septbride2002
10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't like it at all. Let me tell you why using my family as an example.

I have two small children and I try to remain extremely flexible on vacation - I book typically 2 sit down resturants a trip - sometimes 3. However things happen.

1. My 2 year old will decide not to nap. You can tell a child to lie down doesn't mean they will sleep. If my kid doesn't get a nap and I drag them into Le Celliers for our 6pm dining reservation that entire resturant is going to feel the brunt of his fury. Now under normal circumstances I would cancel the reservation that afternoon - but now I'm going to be charged $40.00 because my 2 year old decided to be stubborn?

2. People get sick. How many of us have woken up sick or with a sick child on our trips? I know I have! Now on top of being sick on vacation - I'm out $40.00.

3. Flights come in late. Our arrival day is usually one of the days we plan a sit down dinner. If my flight is delayed for whatever reason - I'm out $40.00.

4. Have you ever forgotten? Whoops! I know I have. Where suddenly you look down after waiting 45 minutes to see Buzz Lightyear only to realize you have an ADR planned that day.

5. Weather, Cars Breaking Down, Disney's own transportation not being reliable - we got stuck in Epcot once for 4 hours because there was a bomb scare on the busses. Missed an ADR at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I understand why the policy was put in place - truly I do. But are we really going to charge families for doing the right thing when their kids are melting down? sick? or God FORBID having a good time and racking up merchandise dollars in a store?

I really feel like I should write Disney a Thank You note. Because I doubt we will make any ADR's now. I'll take the $100 for the resturant trip and take my business off site or bring some groceries to the room to cook (we are DVC) for the $40.00 they would have charged me. Heck at this point I'm coming out ahead.

~Amanda

Mousemates
10-14-2011, 12:37 AM
So in the last month or so we have seen monorail hours cut, the doors to the MK stores locked at closing, and new charges instituted for failing to show up for dining reservations....not exactly magical in my book.

:(:mad::(:mad::(

brivers222
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
The only way i have found around this 24 hour penalty is to cut off my insane tweaking of Ressies for my december trip as of Oct 25th at 11:59pm....

If they have no card they have no way to charge me the fee ;)

plus having this self mandated stopping point might just let me get my sanity back!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
10-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I really feel like I should write Disney a Thank You note. Because I doubt we will make any ADR's now. I'll take the $100 for the resturant trip and take my business off site or bring some groceries to the room to cook (we are DVC) for the $40.00 they would have charged me. Heck at this point I'm coming out ahead.

~Amanda
Honestly, we make very few ADR's anymore, and we were able to score a couple of same day reservations when we wanted them during our August holiday. If committing to definite reservations with kids is an issue, do not despair!! We had very successful dining experiences! :mickey:

Joannelet
10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
They have to do something about the bookings because it has gotten completely out of hand. I know some of you are mad about this but it is really a dissapointing process when you canot get into a restaurant that you really want. Remember some people only get to go once in a lifetime and unfortunately people over booking because of whatever reason just isn't fair. Disney knows there will be exceptions to this rule but they are doing something about it finally and I applaud them. People out there abuse the system, ruin it for everyone else and something needs to be done about it.

Disney Hungarian
10-14-2011, 09:26 AM
This policy was already in place for the Akershus restaurant. I booked the dinner back in August for a Sept. 24th ressie and had to provide my CC#. It was clear I would be charged $10 per person, if I was a no show. Disney also sent me 2 e-mails reminding me of the ADR at around the 48 hour mark, if I remember correctly.

brivers222
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
yeah the ones on my current ADRs that have a cancellation policy already are:

Akershus
California Grill
Cinderella's Table
HDDMR

So i made sure to not have those within 2 days of my Flights... because that is something that may be delayed giving flying in December.

BrerGnat
10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
I wish they would just do away with ADRs altogether and make ALL the restaurants walk up, wait for a table.

Mickey'sGirl
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I wish they would just do away with ADRs altogether and make ALL the restaurants walk up, wait for a table.
:clappy: The best comment on here. :thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM

I agree with this 100%.

I don't know how they can prevent people from making multiple ADRs unless they start limiting them to resort guests with confirmation numbers so they have unique code to track someone's entire vacation.

crltkcagle
10-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I think its a good idea but don't they already have something like this established in order to prevent people from making multiple ADR's ? I know when I was booking my ADR's online it wouldn't allow me to double book anywhere. For example I had a reservation at Cape May on September 11th for 5:00 pm. I was searching for a table at Ohana's for the same time but didn't want to lose my Cape May reservation if I couldn't find a table at Ohana's. When I did find a table at Ohana's I booked it and a little window popped up and said I was already booked for that time and day at Cape May. It gave me the option to either cancel cape may and book Ohana's or vice versa. So I don't know if this new rule will help with the double booking thing. Hopefully it will get the wait time moving along quicker though. :mickey:

Joannelet
10-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I think its a good idea but don't they already have something like this established in order to prevent people from making multiple ADR's ? I know when I was booking my ADR's online it wouldn't allow me to double book anywhere. For example I had a reservation at Cape May on September 11th for 5:00 pm. I was searching for a table at Ohana's for the same time but didn't want to lose my Cape May reservation if I couldn't find a table at Ohana's. When I did find a table at Ohana's I booked it and a little window popped up and said I was already booked for that time and day at Cape May. It gave me the option to either cancel cape may and book Ohana's or vice versa. So I don't know if this new rule will help with the double booking thing. Hopefully it will get the wait time moving along quicker though. :mickey:
No because people have already started cheating the system with the new one you mentioned in place. They are just using different accounts to book online with.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-16-2011, 12:42 PM
No because people have already started cheating the system with the new one you mentioned in place. They are just using different accounts to book online with.

It took me all of 10 seconds to figure out how to cheat the system under the new credit card rules (even though I have no desire to do so). It won't take much longer for the die-hard cheats to do the same.

Disneygirl91
10-17-2011, 04:14 PM
1) I think this is a ridiculous policy, and I simply won't make "reservations" at those restaurants ever again.

2) I make my "reservations" long before my actual trip, and for the people that try and make "reservations" a day or two before their trip I say you snooze you lose.

joonyer
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
. . . . I make my "reservations" long before my actual trip, and for the people that try and make "reservations" a day or two before their trip I say you snooze you lose.

This policy is not being imposed because of people who make reservations long before their trip. It's because of people who make reservations and then change their mind and don't bother cancelling or showing up.

Melanie
10-17-2011, 04:29 PM
It took me all of 10 seconds to figure out how to cheat the system under the new credit card rules (even though I have no desire to do so).

Well, that sounds promising. :rolleyes:

2) I make my "reservations" long before my actual trip, and for the people that try and make "reservations" a day or two before their trip I say you snooze you lose.

Well, speaking as a local who doesn't take week long trips to WDW and instead sometimes decides on a Wednesday to book a stay for the upcoming weekend, I find this great news. Hopefully this will mean more choices for us. :thumbsup:

diz_girl
10-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm fine with the policy change and we're a family with small children. I don't think that it's designed to hurt families with small children, but to act as a deterrent to abusers. One thing that I read often on the boards is the complaint of being turned away from almost empty restaurants because they didn't have a reservation and the restaurant had a ton of no-shows. Like a pp, I've had to cancel a reservation, but I've never been a no-show.

Also, a pp was worried that they would be charged for a person if they showed up with one fewer person than the number of people on the reservation. We've actually had that happen to us at Cali Grille. We had a ressie for 4 and only 3 were able to make it. I was told over the phone when we made the ressie that we whould be charged if we were one person short. However, when we got there we were not charged. WDW is fine if it's just one person, as they're still getting revenue, but they're not fine if the whole table is a no-show.

Disney loses revenue when people make ADRs and don't keep them. If there's one thing that Disney doesn't like, it's lost revenue. It looks like all of the restaurants on the list are the most popular ones (signature and character and one or two others like 'Ohana) that are almost always packed and it's no-shows for those restaurants that hurt Disney the most.

I've had the Disney ADR number programmed into my cell phone for years and I'll enter the cancellation number there too. I'll do my best to keep the reservation, but if it looks like I'll miss it, then I'll call and cancel.

LVT
10-21-2011, 06:12 PM
ADRs are not reservations. My impression was that they are like FastPass. Electronic waiting in line. If someone does not show up, there is no spacer in the line to change anything for the people that are present.
At most, the manager has an estimate of customer interest to plan around for food and staffing.
I have only missed 1 reservation in 50 or so, due to forgetfullness. Are there so many no-shows? All my lines for ADRs were long enough as it was, a few more no-shows would have been nice.
I do not believe they are losing money. The next few people wait less, but the tables are just as full.

miprender
10-22-2011, 08:53 AM
:mad: I for one do not like this new policy. I understand about the whole hoarding of ADRs and double booking but this will not stop any of that as long as they people are canceling within the 24 hour window.

It is people who are honest and have every intention of making their ADRs that will get penalize. Paying $50 for nothing when I can't make my scheduled time is totally ridiculous. Things happen in life and this is suppose to be a vacation.

DizneyRox
10-22-2011, 11:55 AM
:mad: I for one do not like this new policy. I understand about the whole hoarding of ADRs and double booking but this will not stop any of that as long as they people are canceling within the 24 hour window.

It is people who are honest and have every intention of making their ADRs that will get penalize. Paying $50 for nothing when I can't make my scheduled time is totally ridiculous. Things happen in life and this is suppose to be a vacation.
I think you are absolutely right. The people who do the hoarding have already got their plan together with multiple ADR numbers, etc. They knew to do this in advance, so they will know when they need to cancel, etc. The people who will end up paying (literally) are the honest folk who didn't realize, or just plain lost track of time, etc. This will penalize those that play by the rules more than the rest. Disney doesn't really care which group you are in, as long as the CC number goes through when an ADR is missed.

Christine
10-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Well, speaking as a local who doesn't take week long trips to WDW and instead sometimes decides on a Wednesday to book a stay for the upcoming weekend, I find this great news. Hopefully this will mean more choices for us. :thumbsup:

Amen!

MNNHFLTX
10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I think it will work out fine. People will get used to this system the same way they get used to other changes at Disney World. Personally, I think the ADR system had snowballed out of control, especially when free dining was offered. The idea that people have to get up at the crack of dawn exactly 180 days out (or 190 days, for resort guests) and book every single sit-down meal seems ludicrous to me. Who knows? Maybe it will enable people to be even more spontaneous and actually walk up to restaurants and get a table within a reasonable wait time.

Wright46
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I think its a great idea to deter SOME people from double boking reservations. However, like most efforts to stop certain unwante dbehavior, some poeple will find ways around it. One simple way around that I can think of is simply supplying a bogus credit card number. In addition, if you were to be hit witht he charge, I'm guessing any reasonable excuse would suffice for you to have the charges reversed given Disney's goal of providing superior customer service. Nonetheless, like I said, I think its a great scrae tactic and will likely help the problem a little bit.

brivers222
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
The only time I found it cumbersome last week was when i wanted to book a new ADR for the next night it made me think extra hard if it was worth booking it to risk a $20 fee (two of us) because I was now within my 1 day window.

Strmchsr
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
One simple way around that I can think of is simply supplying a bogus credit card number.

Actually, Disney verifies the CC is legit. When I booked my May ADR's I had some of those $1 pending notifications on my CC for a couple of days from Disney. They disappeared, but it let me know Disney at least verified the CC was real and not bogus.

Honestly, I didn't find it an issue last week at all. Hopefully it'll work and help free up some ADRs for folks who will actually use it.

brivers222
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Actually, Disney verifies the CC is legit. When I booked my May ADR's I had some of those $1 pending notifications on my CC for a couple of days from Disney. They disappeared, but it let me know Disney at least verified the CC was real and not bogus.

Honestly, I didn't find it an issue last week at all. Hopefully it'll work and help free up some ADRs for folks who will actually use it.

In a haste to book a few prime ADRs I found I accidently switched a number because i was typing so fast... System kicked it back saying invalid credit card number. It wasn't the four at the begining either which is usually what a system uses to baulk a bad one.

Wright46
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM

That's encouraging. I thought it would me more smoke and mirrors than anything.

Disoriented
12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the new CC policy is having it's intended affect.

We have been to the world for 18 days spread out over two trips since the policy has taken place, one during Jersey week and the other was last week, and we only had ADRs for nine of our days and ended up canceling two of those. We had no trouble booking any last minute reservations (24 hrs or less) at any of the restaurants we chose while we were there, albeit there was only two of us.

Some of the restaurants I can remember getting on short notice were the Sci-Fi, Yak & Yeti and The Flying Fish.

AmandaChan
12-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I can see where this will benefit a lot of people but $10 a person seems a bit outrageous. What about families who really can't make an ADR because of their children losing their everloving minds? We had to cancel an 8 person reservation at the last sort of minute for Crystal Palace and that would have cost us $80 for something that we really couldn't have controlled. I could see a standard $25 fee and that's it.

AmandaChan
12-26-2011, 12:19 PM

I agree with this. 24 time frame really isn't going to solve everyone's problems.

Jared
12-26-2011, 12:29 PM
1) I think this is a ridiculous policy, and I simply won't make "reservations" at those restaurants ever again.
Much appreciated. I'll be glad to snatch up the reservations.

I almost never decide to plan a trip until six weeks or two months beforehand. So I'm not entitled to reservations because a few hoarders quadruple book at all the best restaurants? Nice.

Honestly, the policy has now been in effect for two weeks, and I haven't heard anybody complain since it started. There was a ridiculous outcry when it was announced, but like everything else, people adapt and life goes on. From what I hear, the restaurants are run by real people who react to real-word situations. They have and will waive the fee for families that have legitimate conflicts that force them to miss their reservation. The policy is in place to prevent people from simply not showing up.

AmandaChan
12-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I almost never decide to plan a trip until six weeks or two months beforehand. So I'm not entitled to reservations because a few hoarders quadruple book at all the best restaurants? Nice.

I just don't see how this type of policy will keep people from quadruple booking ADRS and then just canceling them later on like they have in the past. And I'm sure they can be lenient for people who have legitimate reasons to cancel but not always... I do appreciate though, that it will make people more mindful of their ADRs and perhaps cancel them 24 hours in advance instead of just not showing up to give someone else a chance to maybe get lucky and do a walk in or something.

Basket Mommy
12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I just don't see how this type of policy will keep people from quadruple booking ADRS and then just canceling them later on like they have in the past.

I believe it's now impossible to book more than one reservation per time period per day with the same credit card/account. Sure, it's possible to circumvent the system with multiple accounts and credit cards, but I don't think the majority of people would go to that much trouble.

A Big Kid
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
I managed to score ADR's at Chefs De France yesterday for January 10. I previously had ADRs for Biergarten around the same date/time. Before I was able to confirm the new ADRs (on line)I had to agree to cancel the Biergarten ADRS.

There were plenty of table service restaurants that were avaliable. I dont remember this being the case before.

Jared
12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I just don't see how this type of policy will keep people from quadruple booking ADRS and then just canceling them later on like they have in the past.
Because many people (I won't say "most," so not to guess at a percentage) wouldn't cancel and would instead just not show up. I don't love the idea of people double-booking, but I can forgive them if they make sure to cancel immediately after becoming sure of their plans. But skipping a reservation altogether is just plain rude and completely unfair to all the people these restaurants have to turn away as they wait for the no-shows. At least with this policy in place, people are compelled to cancel within 24 hours, giving others an opportunity to take their table.

Frankly, like everything else at Disney, this is really about money. I'm sure some bean-counter in an office in Burbank recognized that the restaurants were operating at three-quarters capacity, yet were still turning away walk-ins. I suspect this policy will keep the restaurants running at a higher capacity than they were before.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Now the question of the day, will they actually enforce this? And if a patron <complains> about the charge, will it be reversed??

If they enforce this and DO NOT reverse the charge when a patron complains because they choose to try and "break the rules" with double booking and just not showing up or not cancelling in the required time - it will work and will help to alleviate a lot of the issues they have with double booking, no shows, etc.

Wright46
12-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I just don't see how this type of policy will keep people from quadruple booking ADRS and then just canceling them later on like they have in the past. And I'm sure they can be lenient for people who have legitimate reasons to cancel but not always... I do appreciate though, that it will make people more mindful of their ADRs and perhaps cancel them 24 hours in advance instead of just not showing up to give someone else a chance to maybe get lucky and do a walk in or something.

Agreed. But at least witht he new policy there will be a better chance of these double (or quadruple) reservations being cancelled and giving someone a chance of scooping them up the day of.

disneynarula
12-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I think it is a great idea. I know quite a few people who "double dip" (DHs term for it).

If you have a group where two or more resort rooms are involved it's pretty easy. I know people who did this and they had three rooms. They had three ressies for each night they were there. (Triple Dippers)!

So rude!

I admit it's hard to decide where you are going to eat six months in advance but that's just how it is now.

disneynarula
12-29-2011, 09:37 AM
At least now there might be a chance to get into a nice place last minute.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-31-2011, 05:50 PM
I think it is a great idea. I know quite a few people who "double dip" (DHs term for it).

If you have a group where two or more resort rooms are involved it's pretty easy. I know people who did this and they had three rooms. They had three ressies for each night they were there. (Triple Dippers)!

So rude!

I admit it's hard to decide where you are going to eat six months in advance but that's just how it is now.

We met one family that laughed about making FIVE ressies for every night of their stay for a family of six! I had to ask if she cancelled the other ressies when they had decided and she looked at me like I was crazy!! That is 20 dining ressies she had no intention of going to!! I was floored ~ talk about not only indecisive, but totally inconsiderate for those restaurants! :thedolls:

She is definitely one of the reasons that they implemented that policy.

TheVBs
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM
We met one family that laughed about making FIVE ressies for every night of their stay for a family of six! I had to ask if she cancelled the other ressies when they had decided and she looked at me like I was crazy!! That is 20 dining ressies she had no intention of going to!! I was floored ~ talk about not only indecisive, but totally inconsiderate for those restaurants! :thedolls:

She is definitely one of the reasons that they implemented that policy.

Wow! That's unbelievable. I have to say, until I read about this problem here, I'd never heard of it. It just never occurred to me to make more than one resv. at a time, so it never occurred to me that others were doing it, let alone so many. If this brings back the possibility of walk ups, that would be fantastic!

A Big Kid
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Here is why I am glad they instituted the policy. This is a post from a different website:

I have a bunch of ADRs that we're not going to use so i thought i'd ask if anyone wants them before I cancel them.

All reservations are for a party of 2

Here's what I have:
Thursday
Le Cellier 2:45
Friday
Via Napoli 4:30
Saturday
Via Napoli, 4:30
Le Cellier, 6:15
Monday
Le Cellier, 1:50

Surely, this person was NOT going to eat at Le Cellier that many times and ever more surely not after eating a Via Napoli

brivers222
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
wow actually that would have been me this past december "if" i could have gotten that many LeCellier's.... I needed some 4TS places to take up my credits.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a friend here locally that could afford to "try out the new policy". She made a double reservation - for the same time and day (two different accounts and credit cards) - and didn't cancel til after the 24 hr period was over (she cancelled an hour before). She was charged $20 to her credit card for the 2 people that would have eaten on the reservation. She then called to complain about the charge and was politely told that they were sorry, but if you placed the reservation with the credit card hold, under the new policy, you clicked that you understood the new policy and that charges could not be reversed. (Or something to that effect.)

Now, let's see how long the policy enforcement lasts.

Jared
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
The policy has been quite effective. I see no reason why Disney would change it.

Christine
01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I am SOOO happy with this new plan! I have seen a remarkable difference in availability! We we're able to score Christmas dinner at Ohana three days out at 5:00 and yesterday I booked ohana for tonight at 6:40. I have to believe that this new policy is behind it! Ppl aren't making excessive wasteful ADRs! Good job Disney!!!

magicofdisney
01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a friend here locally that could afford to "try out the new policy". She made a double reservation - for the same time and day (two different accounts and credit cards) - and didn't cancel til after the 24 hr period was over (she cancelled an hour before). She was charged $20 to her credit card for the 2 people that would have eaten on the reservation. She then called to complain about the charge and was politely told that they were sorry, but if you placed the reservation with the credit card hold, under the new policy, you clicked that you understood the new policy and that charges could not be reversed. (Or something to that effect.)

Nothing against your friend, but it's refreshing to see Disney stick to a policy, particularly when it cost the guest $$.