PDA

View Full Version : Any cyclists???

Kenny1113
10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
DH rides a road bike pretty regularly. I am trying to figure out some Christmas gifts for him (getting a head start ;) ) I need opinions on iBike for iPhone vs a separate computer (garamin, Polaris etc). Any info is greatly appreciated. TIA

BrerGnat
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I guess it depends on how much information you think he would want in a computer. I have a very basic cyclo-computer on my road bike. It's a Bell brand, and I got it at Target for about $20. It tells me everything I need to know: speed (current, average, and min/max), distance, pace, time, odometer, outside temperature, calories/fat grams burned. It works flawlessly.

The more involved ones have onboard GPS, but I think that's a bit much, unless he does some really loooong rides! I have no experience using the iphone apps, but I'd stay away from that sort of thing, because it's not as easy to view than a basic handlebar mounted computer.

A Big Kid
10-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Cant have enough socks, gloves, GOOD bib shorts and jerseys.

c&d
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I've found when I can't figure out what I really want I go to my bike store. They've always been really good at helping me decide. I would start with them since they will be able to tell you all about the computers available. Also being in the store I always find several items I didn't know I needed. :blush:

dpamac
10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree with A Big Kid on socks and bibs. Especially socks. I wear through those things like crazy.

Regarding the computer, it depends on what he's looking to do. iBike has gotten reasonable reviews. If simple data is what he wants and then upgrade to a power meter I'd go with Garmin. Besides, those things get put through all the tests because they are used by a pro cycling team. Plus, all the Garmin devices are comparable with Strava.com which is a fantastic free training tool (though there's a free option as well). That said, Strava also has a free app that works with iPhone. I highly recommend them.

That said, traditional wireless computers that are mounted to the bike that have a sensor on the fork and a magnet on the wheel never lose their signal because it's too cloudy, which happens a lot with phone-based computers.

My money is on the Garmins, personally, if you're laying down that kind of cash. If not, load up on Sock Guy socks. They rock. Arm warmers for cooler rides or a nice pair of cycling sunglasses.

garymacd
10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I have an iphone with an app called Cyclemeter from Abvio Inc. software. It tracks every ride, walk, run that I make. It gives me times, speeds, distances, maps, gps, breakdowns by mile/kilometer and stores it all on its own calendar and on the iphone calendar. It also helps track whether I am getting better or worse on my rides. You can also track his rides through Facebook, Dailymile, Twitter and email if you wish. I have used it for about three years and love it.

I have my MS Outlook calendar synched with another app called Pocket Informant which also tracks work calendar, business calendar, appointments, etc. Through the iphone sync it now keeps all my rides, too.

The latest version of Cyclemeter (and its sister apps, Runmeter and Walkmeter - which you don't need. They all do the same thing) includes support for a tire speed, pedal cadence monitor, pedometer and heart rate monitor all connected to a dongle snapped into the bottom of the iphone. This is offered through Wahoo Fitness. It uses Ant + technology so it is compatible with Garmin equipment as well as any other Ant + equipment.

Wahoo offers a cycle package that includes the speed/cadence sensor, waterproof iphone cover with built-in dongle for both iphone 3 and 4, a mounting bracket for the handlebars. Even an aero bar mounting bracket is available. For those really long rides, they have developed an extended battery that snaps onto the back of the case and connects to the mounting bracket. That package goes for about $150. The package does not include a heartrate monitor, but if your husband already has a Garmin HR monitor, it will work with the system. The HR monitor is an additional $50 -$70.

Adding the above package and HR monitor to Cyclemeter gives the rider all the ride information he or she needs with all the fitness information in one place.

Check out both in the iTunes store or just run searches for Wahoo Fitness and Abvio or Cyclemeter.

Cyclemeter costs about $5. Wahoo Fitness apps are free.

This SO ON my Christmas list!

Kenny1113
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the input thus far. :thumbsup:

I think I can do socks and such for stocking stuffers. Great idea!!!

Thanks for the info on the garamin I had not considered the loss of signal issue. Another pro on the garamin side.

I had not heard of cyclemeter. I will look into this One as well. I am concerned with using the iPhone on the bike because if something happens to it while riding now he is out his phone. The plus is that now the phone is on the bike instead of back pocket of jersey. Do you ever find this to be a concern or issue???

BrerGnat
10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I am concerned with using the iPhone on the bike because if something happens to it while riding now he is out his phone. The plus is that now the phone is on the bike instead of back pocket of jersey. Do you ever find this to be a concern or issue???

I keep my phone in a saddle bag while I ride, in case of emergency. I feel like it's safe there. I would not want to have it strapped to my handlebars, or my arm or something. Too vulnerable, and that's why I have a cheap-o cyclo-computer that works just fine. In addition, if it starts to rain, the iphone would be toast if it was exposed! I've been caught in the rain a couple times, so it's an issue if your husband rides in all weather conditions.

However, those apps do sound pretty neat. :thumbsup: They would still work if the iphone was in his pocket, I think, but he wouldn't be able to glance at it during the ride safely unless it's mounted to the bike somewhere. I think a combination of the iphone app plus a low cost cyclo-computer (that used a wheel mount sensor) would be a good bet.

garymacd
10-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I am concerned with using the iPhone on the bike because if something happens to it while riding now he is out his phone. The plus is that now the phone is on the bike instead of back pocket of jersey. Do you ever find this to be a concern or issue???

I was concerned about this as well. Up to this year, my phone stayed in my padded bike carrier. This past year, I kept it in my jersey back pocket in a rubber cover. I don't intend to fall off my bike...again! Ever! But that's a story for another day.

The Wahoo Fitness bike case is quite robust. It has a rubber liner designed for either iPhone 3 or 4 that really cushions it. Check out their website. They actually have a video of a guy falling off his bike on a mountain trail. No harm done to him, his bike or his phone.