PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Movie Resort?

minnie-mouse
10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
What can you tell me about staying in the AS Movie resort? We usually stay in Poly or CBr but are thinking for next trip if we stay Value, we can extend our trip for more days but we have never stayed value and don't know what to expect. We will have DDs (6 and 8) with us and rental car, so we won't use bus system. Is it worth it to stay in this place? Fun for kids?

Disney4us2
10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
We have stayed at AS Movies a few times. I love the theming there with the larger than life icons. It is not fancy. Few perks, double beds, no queens. I did find it clean and comfortable.

The pool(s) are themed, but not like with the deluxes or even the moderates. No pool slide, large pool. I liked the food court there, although it can be very busy at breakfast. DD loved their gift shop.

I usually stay in a perferred room which is closer to the food court/gift shop/busses. We use the bus system there and have never had a problem with them. My favorite building is the Fanstasia ll building(the pink one). Last time they had us in Toy Story, which was also nice and a really close location.

Since you will have a car, location may not be a problem, at least with the parks.

I would not hesitate to stay there again if I am not using my DVC points.

disneyfan328
10-09-2011, 07:46 PM
We love All Star Movie and are booking there again this January! The rooms may not be huge, but they have enough space for a family of 4 and the beds are decent enough. We LOVE the food court there as there is always something there for everyone. There is tons of food and great desserts! My kids have never complained about eating there so its a plus in my book. There may not be a slide, but the kids love the pool anway!

The larger than life icons allow for tons of photo ops and the cast members here have always been great! :thumbsup:

texas211
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Going from Poly to a value. Be prepared for disappointment. I made that mistake. Will never return to a value (overpriced Days Inn) again.

I'm a quality over quantity. It's like comparing Morton's to a CiCi's pizza.

mydisneygirls
10-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I agree with texas211, you will be in for a BIG disappointment. I booked there once after staying at Poly numerous times. Got to the room, put suitcases back in the car and moved to another resort. I also prefer the quality over quantity.

mdhiggin
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
We stayed at values, then moderates, then a deluxe, now DVC members. Downsizing in accomodations may be different than what you're used to, but I prefer the values food court to the counter services at the moderates and deluxes. There is so much variety. The theming at the all star movies is fun, and we loved it. I don't think it will be that big of a deal if you're park people and don't spend much time in the room. Just go into it understanding that the room size and beds are smaller and there are no refrigerators unless you rent one, and you may be pleasantly surprised. Part of the fun of our vacations has been trying different resorts.

mdhiggin
10-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Some of the posts are talking about refurbs at All Star Movies. I don't know when they are, but you may want to check into it. Pop Century is our favorite of the values, just in case you need a backup.

Katzateer
10-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Rooms are smaller. Theming is a lot of fun. We don't spend a lot of time in our room so values are perfect for us. Use the saved $$ for fantastic meals. I prefer Pop but we just stayed at Sports and the beds were comfortable. I got 2 connecting rooms since we had two teenagers and the cost of both the rooms with a discount was the same as one room at a moderate. We spent a lot of time resort hopping during meal times so got to visit our favorite resorts.

Mousemates
10-10-2011, 12:01 PM
We have stayed at a variety of resorts in all categories and have not done a progression...i.e. started at values, moved up to mods and then on to the deluxes. (for example our last stay was at the GF and our next will be at POFQ).

We have no issues with "moving down" into a less expensive resort category...we simply choose to enjoy the nuances of the particular resort we are in. The Values are fun and if you take the time to walk the resort there are tons of photo ops with the various icons and theming decorations. Kids loves the theming there...it was quite obviously designed with younger ones in mind.

And an added bonus with with girls the ages of your girls is that the wide variety of options at a value food court is much more likely to have something everyone truly enjoys eating.

However, having said that, if you have grown accustomed to "certain things" during a WDW vacation the step down could create some disappointment...the rooms are smaller, the pool lacks a slide, and the beds are not queens. But the rooms are as clean as any at WDW and in my opinion with all the perks of an on-site resort and certainly rise far above the unfortunate description of being an "overpriced days inn."

In fact our long term vacation plans include a return to the values after our youngest goes to college...a king bed at a value will sleep just as well as one at a mod or deluxe and when its just the two of us again the room size issues we now have with a 19 and 17 year old will no longer come into play.