PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and questions on a few places

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-08-2011, 01:22 PM
We just got back last Friday, and are already planning the trip for next November 2012.:party: Big 40! I have a few questions on dining places

1- How is Tusker house breakfast? Which characters are there other than Donald? Does the pic come with the meal? Or extra like at Chef Mickey's?

2) Are there any resturaunts in France that are 1TS

3) Any in Italy that are 1 TS?

4) I know CA grille is 2 ts... do you get an Appetizer with it? or is it just entree and dessert like the other TS's?

5) Hoop de Do, would it keep 3 kids, ages 8, 6, and 2.5 happy? (Esp the 2.5 year old?)... How long does that dinner last?

6) we may have friends and family coming at the same time and staying at different hotels. What would you suggest is the best place for us all to get together for one dinner? (We tend to do our own things, and then just meet here and there for a dinner) WOuld you suggest O'hanas, Hoop- de-doo, or someplace else? We are talking about 6 adults and 5 kids ages 2.5, 6, 8, 14 nd 16.

Thank you!

SBETigg
10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I can't answer 1, 5, or 6. I don't generally attend character breakfasts or have large group events. But

2. Chefs de France is one of my favorites, and is 1 TS on the dining plan in France. The other restaurant in France, Bistro de Paris, does not participate in DP or even have a children's menu. Plus there's the quick service Boulangerie Patisserie, also good for 1 QS credit.

3. Italy has 2 that are 1 TS, Tutto Italia, which is more pasta and traditional Italian, plus Via Napoli, which specializes in good pizza (a rarity for Disney) but also in pasta dishes and salads. I love Via Napoli, but haven't visited Tutto Italia since it was Alfredo's, by a different owner.

4. California Grill, and any Signature TS restaurant is worth 2 TS. If you are on Disney's Deluxe Dining plan, you get app, entree, dessert. On regular Dining plan, you still just get entree and dessert, but have the option to pay for extras if you wish. The difference between the 1 TS for regular table service restaurants and 2 TS for Signature dining is not in extra courses served, but in the fact that the cuisine is more elaborate with finer ingredients. Fine dining (Signature restaurants) vs casual dining (1 TS restaurants).

I hope this helps.

faline
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't recall which characters we saw at Tusker House. I know we had our picture taken with Donald outside the restaurant, before we entered. The picture was not inlcuded. They tried to sell it to us.

Hoop De Doo is a great choice for kids those ages. It's a pretty active place so I think even the 2-1/2 year old would do fine there.

If you're meeting up with friends, you might consider O'Hana's instead of Hoop de Doo as you won't get much time for conversation at Hoop de Doo. Although O'Hana's has enough activities for the kids, it might also be hard to find time at the table for talking if you're assisting kids with the activities. Grand Floridian Cafe is a nice place for being able to converse with others.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
thanks!
I think Ohanas is probably the place to be for a big group.. I mean is DOES mean FAMILY! ;) My kids weren't interested in the activities. They are too nosey and dont want to miss the "grown up" conversation. Which in our family usually revolves around who rode Tower of Terror the most, and what autographs did we get! :blush:

I jsut read that Tusker House has Donald Daisy and friends, that is good enough! We have been trying to meet Daisy but the line on Main street is always so long! I also just read that in Dec 2011 Tuskerhous lunch will be characters! This is good for Us! We cant get ourselves moving very well in the morning!

We may just have to try Hoop De Dooos, I think for my family it might be better use of 2 credits and wait a year or 2 before the Cali grille. I know they are used to kids, but I want to enjoy too and wont if my kids are just waiting for the dinner to be done.

I don't want to wish away the next year and 2 months waiting for our vacation (too fun watching the kids grow and change) but it sure is fun to dream and plan!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Tusker House is one of our favourites! Donal is outside (and they will take a picture with your camera if you ask, not just the one they try to sell you). As for characters, we've seen Mickey, Daisy, and Goofy both times, and Minnie once. OVerall, the character interaction was quite good.

HDD is another of our favourites. There is plenty to keep the kids entertained, as well as the adults. I would do it with a large group, maybe you, expecially with the kids, could head over to the campfire/move after the show, for more time together.

Have a great time planning the trip ... the planning can be (almost) half of the fun!

snowflakegirl
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I believe when we had breakfast there two Augusts ago, Donald was outside and didn't come to the tables. They sell a package with the pictures like at Chef Mickey's but the CMs who were handling the pictures the day we were there were quick to offer to take pictures with personal cameras so you could avoid having to buy the package. Goofy, Daisy, Mickey and Minnie came to our table while we ate.

I loved our breakfast there and highly recommend it.

mydisneygirls
10-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I can only comment on #2 and 5. Le Chefs de France was probably the best meal we had on our past trip. Since my girls were older than on previous trips, this was our first meal that wasn't "character" dining. It gave the feeling as though you were really in France. Food and service were outstanding.

The Hoop Dee Doo is very entertaining and would keep the kids happy, even the 2.5 year old with everything going on. We had a great time there.

Katzateer
10-09-2011, 07:48 AM
You might enjoy 1900 Park Fare at GF with family and little ones. the food is good and it isn't a bad choice for talking- some places are so loud. And you can sit and visit in the lobby or outside before or after the meal too. They have breakfast or dinner and characters and is on the monorail so would be easy for everyone to meet.