PDA

View Full Version : What if EVERYONE decided to go?

dnickels
10-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Reading some of the threads about how the economy has affected the frequency of trips and how crowded the parks seem to be got me thinking......

What if everyone in the world a) wanted to go to Disney World, and b) had the $$ to do so?

Let's say that tomorrow morning the entire world called up and booked a trip so that everything was filled up and no one could make a return visit until everyone else had a chance to do so. How long do you think you'd have to go between trips? (THINK OF YOUR ANSWER HERE BEFORE SCROLLING DOWN)

Now granted, these are just back of the napkin calculations, but they'll have to suffice. My understanding is that the Magic Kingdom has a max capacity somewhere around 75,000 people at a given time and Epcot has a larger capacity though I don't know the number on that. We'll round all 4 parks up to a capacity of 100,000 to make the math easier.

400,000 people per day can visit the parks if we let them fill to capacity each and every day
365 days in a year gets us to..... 146,000,000 people per year
7 billion people divided by 146,000,000 gives us 47.9 years between visits.

Actual attendance (from a quick google search) appears to be somewhere in the 45-50 million range for DW, so if we don't pack the parks and only fill them to average, we can only visit once every 142 years. The answer above also assumes only a single day to visit the park(s). For a four day vacation, multiply by four. Also assumes people go to a theme park, not a water park, etc, etc.

The point? None really, just an interesting perspective.

DVC2004
10-07-2011, 02:25 PM
If everyone decided to go, and could, I think I would start going to Disneyland instead.:D
Could you imagine the ride wait times ? Or planning ADRs 4 years in advance? LOL, a big no thank you.

I think if it were that crowded it would truly cease to be fun for me.

darthmacho
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
142 years? That's not so bad. That's about the average wait time for Toy Story Mania...

Scar
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Bored? ;)

dnickels
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Bored? ;)

The sort of thing that happens to an engineer with a few free minutes on his hands. :D

brownie
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Did you factor in constraints on travel? Some people probably would not be able to physically make the trip, and the transportation systems can only move so many people in and out of the country. On top of that, there would probably be a number of people who would never be admitted into our country (or allowed to leave theirs.) That would probably reduce the number of years of waiting. If you didn't factor in population growth, that would probably increase the wait.

Katzateer
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
142 years? That's not so bad. That's about the average wait time for Toy Story Mania...

:rotfl:

RedSoxandPatsfan
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
It would actually be much longer because your calculation assumes that the population will remain static over the 49 to 140ish years. If you factor in population growth the times will be much longer.

Unless, that is, the Mayan's, Nostradomas (sp?), and other 2012 doomsday predictions come true. You could end up there way sooner.......

Kairi_7378
10-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Darth for the win.

Disney Hungarian
10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought that was how long it would take to get a fastpass after 11am for TSM. :thumbsup:

ImagiAsh
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
The sort of thing that happens to an engineer with a few free minutes on his hands. :D

I knew you had to be an engineer. I am one too and I was thinking about getting even more specific with your calculations. IE: wait times for specific rides, etc...:secret: