PDA

View Full Version : Tax on Accomodations at Aulani??

faline
10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Has anyone seen this information about staying in Hawaii??

Transient Accommodations Tax:
For all stays at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club® Villas, Ko Olina, Hawaii, the State of Hawaii imposes a daily transient accommodations tax based upon the number of Vacation Points required for the stay and the per Vacation Point Annual Dues for the calendar year of the stay. You must pay this tax by check-out. The amount of the tax will vary from year to year and is subject to change. See DVCmember.com for details on the tax.

Maleficent's Dad
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I followed all the directions on the DVC Member website.
Finally, under "Vacation Planning," I went to the "Making Reservations" section and found the following:

Hawai‘i Transient Accommodations Tax
This is a tax that the State of Hawai‘i imposes daily on all stays at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai‘i.
For all stays at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai‘i, the State of Hawai‘i imposes a daily transient accommodations tax based upon the number of Vacation Points required for the stay and the per Vacation Point Annual Dues for the calendar year of the stay. This tax must be paid by check-out. The amount of the tax will vary from year to year and is subject to change.
Which is what faline essentially posted - so in other words, the Member website gives no further information. :unsure:

TheDuckRocks
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Once again this is another thing that you pay for paradise that Disney didn't know of or thought through completely. In Hawaii there are a number of taxes that apply to just non-residents.
Two that come to mind are the transient accommodation tax, which we are dealing with here, and car rental tax for non-residents. The accommodation tax is based on the value of your room cost and being the cost is points they have to convert those points to dollars. What the % of that tax would be I don't know but I would guess that it would be at least equal to the state sales tax rate plus the hotel tax rate.
If you rent a car in Hawaii also be aware that in addition to the normal taxes and fees you would pay for a car in most mainland locations, you will pay a fee per day if you do not have a Hawaiian drivers license. Last I knew it was $5 per day.
State sales tax there is also a fun game. Everything is taxed! Even the tax is taxed. Example - if you were to make a $1,000 purchase and the sales tax rate is 4% you would be taxed $40 plus $1.60 for the tax on the $40 plus $.06 for the tax on the additional $1.60. For a total of $41.66.
Most locals refer to Hawaii as Tax Heck when talking about the taxes there.
It will also be interesting in a couple of years to see how much property taxes have gone up at Aulani.

DVC2004
10-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes and I asked my guide. He said it would be very little. I think he told me based on my example it would be like $25 or somthing for the entire 6 night stay.