PDA

View Full Version : Need more opinions for college survey

pink
10-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I feel like I just finished my first project about divorce and now I am onto my next survey which is about social media. If you wouldn't mind answering a few of these questions I would be ever so grateful.

1. (You can just answer yes or no, or expand on your answer if you would like to) Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social?

2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media?

3. If you have a Facebook, how many hours per day do you spend using the site?

4. (Same situation, yes or no, or expand if you would like to) Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it?

Thank you everyone. :mickey:

McLiberal8
10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
1.Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social? No. The world is changing, and we are redefining what being social or making friends or dating is all about. Change doesn't mean extinction, just evolution. I think people confuse the 2.

2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media? 10 - 12 hours, I would say. I have my Facebook and Google+ on all day at work, and get notifications on my smart phone for both.

3. If you have a Facebook, how many hours per day do you spend using the site? Actively using? Hard to say - it's always up. Probably above's 10 hour estimation.

4. (Same situation, yes or no, or expand if you would like to) Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it? I am 26 - the Internet (be it chat rooms, IMing, e-mail, or networking sites) has always been a part of my socialization, since I was a young child. Facebook is just a step on that evolution - there will be something new a few years from now, too, and Facebook will be the new Myspace (lost in space!).

Donald
10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
1). I think social media deprives us of true social interaction. I think there is a lot more to communication than just words.

2). I socialize all day. I am face to face with people daily discussing world topics, personal situations, etc. I would rather hear my friends (mother, sibling, spouse,...) voice than typewritten comments. You can get a sense of someone's feelings by the tone of their voice, expression on their face, or posture...no symbol can replace that...not even:mickey:!

3). 0. I do not have a Facebook account. If I want to let someone know about something, I tell them.

4). I don't feel like EVERYBODY needs to know all of my business. I feel that Facebook is just one large gossip mill. ( did you see what so and so posted...did you see her status...). There are enough pressures in the world; I don't need to add cyber bullying and gossiping.

Good luck with your assignment!

Disney Hungarian
10-05-2011, 10:41 PM
1. (You can just answer yes or no, or expand on your answer if you would like to) Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social?
No.
12 if texting is not social media.
1 hour. My phone notifies me so I do not have to check FB often.
4. (Same situation, yes or no, or expand if you would like to) Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it?
I am happy with it. I am old school and remember when AOL was dial-up and charged by the minute. FB has let me have interactions with my old classmates that wouldn't have happened 10 years ago. My sister was reunited with her half-sisters after 30 years because of FB. I think it has it's place in todays society.

Donald
10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media? 10 - 12 hours, I would say. I have my Facebook and Google+ on all day at work, and get notifications on my smart phone.

Why? Does your job require you to? Is it allowed? My boss would freak if I had my phone on or Facebook on my computer all day...I am not being paid to socialize for personal reasons.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
1. (You can just answer yes or no, or expand on your answer if you would like to) Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social? No, I do not. I think it is changing HOW we are social, but not making us more anti-social.

Depending on the week, but because I'm a housewife with ALL children in school during the week, I average 4 hrs a day.

2 hrs aday.
4. (Same situation, yes or no, or expand if you would like to) Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it?Happy with it.

McLiberal8
10-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Why? Does your job require you to? Is it allowed? My boss would freak if I had my phone on or Facebook on my computer all day...I am not being paid to socialize for personal reasons.

I didn't say my boss knew about it.. I work from home, so I have my work computer in front of me and my laptop beside me. My stats are high, so I can take a break between calls (I do customer service) and check my sites.

Katzateer
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
1. No

2. If I am working more, at home not as much since I have. 2 teenagers that aren't around much

3. 1 to 2

4. I am really happy with it. I get to keep in contact with a lot of people since we moved that I would not get to talk to.

pink
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you for everyone for your wonderful answers! :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes. To a certain extent. The time being spent on facebook is time NOT spent with friends, spouses, parents, etc. Yes I agree that its changing the way we are social. But in a certain aspect I feel it is causing us to be anti-social. I used to play cards, board games etc., with family and friends, now your lucky if you contact each other through a status update through a screen. My dbf gets frustrated when I am playing my fb games, etc because he has said to me that its like Im ignoring him while I am doing it. I have made a concious effort to stop or atleast slow down my gaming obsession

2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media?As long as I am awake lol. I work in an office from 8-4:30 so on and off all day with techs, mgrs, etc. Friends via text message if at work, out of work talk on phone and I live with my elderly mother so always talking to her after work throughout the night about anything from what happened at work today to whats going on in the news

Several, and too many lol exact # would be about 5 hours total (done sparatically throughout the day)[/

4. (Same situation, yes or no, or expand if you would like to) Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it? Yes and no. Yes, because of my answer to Q1 and also because I believe there is way too much drama surrounding FB but that who nother opinion and long story.
No because it gives you the ability to get in touch and reaquint with old friends you may have lost contact with throughout the years, etc.

TheDuckRocks
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes. Just watching the number of people totally not paying any attention to the person they are with while texting is enough to drive me crazy.

2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media?Less than two, a quick look at Facebook to see if grandkids have posted any pictures, answering and cleaning up email and then my Intercot fix.

3. If you have a Facebook, how many hours per day do you spend using the site?10 minutes max now. A few months ago I was spending hours over there "farming". Crazy! I do miss having the interaction of the "neighbors" I made throughout the world though.

Neither, but if it disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't care.

TheVBs
10-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I1. (You can just answer yes or no, or expand on your answer if you would like to) Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social?

1. Hard to say. To me, anti-social means a refusal to interact with other people. Certainly it means less face to face and actually talking on the phone with other people, and some ignore those around them to stare at a screen. I also think people are more likely to post things on FB that they would never say to a person face to face, or at least in a more diplomatic way. I've seen this cause a lot of upset.

2. Never timed it actually, again hard to say and varies from day to day since I'm a stay at home mom. I always chat with other parents at pick up and drop off, visit with neighbors when I see them, schedule the occasional lunch and/or shopping trip with friends and family, see my mom every day, etc.

3. Never joined Facebook or any site like it. Never saw the point. I did have a couple of old high school friends contact me through email and encourage me to join, but we ran out of things to say to each other after a couple of emails, so why would I spend the time and effort on joining FB to communicate with them? I do belong to two forums (this being one) and I spend about an hour each morning at least skimming through them. Occasionally an hour in the afternoon as well, depending on what's going on.

4. Since I never joined I don't have any feelings one way or the other about FB existing. However, the feedback I get from others about it is overwhelmingly negative. I've listened to too many stories about family feuds started and friendships ruined because of something someone posted on FB. This isn't even actual communication, more like diarrhea of the mind situations.

Janmac
10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
1. Do you think social media (aka Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) is making people more anti-social? In our family, it is probably helping to make family connections easier. DH has recently gotten a Facebook account altho he, at 75, does not think of getting on the computer as much as the TV. His two daughters and his sister (her whole family from the sound of it) use Facebook almost exclusively to keep in touch with each other. They would rather do that than e-mail, text or actually talk face to face on the phone.

2. How many hours a day do you spend socializing without using social media? I personally do not have any accounts with Facebook, Twitter, etc. As for how many hours per day spent socializing, that's so variable, depending on the day, but it's face to face, talking on the phone and occasionally texting, altho that's more for a quick head's up kind of thing.

3. If you have a Facebook, how many hours per day do you spend using the site? N/A

4. Does a part of you wish that Facebook was never created or are you happy with it? If DH would get on it more (everybody lives so far away from each other), it'd definitely be a good thing, as it'd keep him in touch with his family more. My sister and her daughter also have Facebook accounts. My sister is seldom on Facebook (too busy tho her friends wish she would be on it more) while her daughter generally checks Facebook every day (she has a full time job, is a single parent and is in her senior year of college, so Facebook time is brief). She has reconnected with several old friends so she is happy with Facebook.

Jan