PDA

View Full Version : Parks seemed extra crowded this time: (

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
We just got back from a whirlwind trip ( 2 days total, and yes we hit all 4 parks!). While we had a blast as always, it seemed to me like all of the parks were alot more crowded than we are accustomed to at this time of year.

We've been several time in Sept and Oct, and its never been so crowded before. Was it because it was the weekend?

Im now wondering when is truly the best time to visit...Sept is not really it for me anymore.

TheHD
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm interested to find out as well. I've only been in the summer months and Christmas/New Years before. Going early next month and hoping it isn't crowded, but not from what I've been hearing lately.

Melanie
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Was it because it was the weekend?

Was it this past weekend?

If so, yes it was extra crowded due to the Magic Kingdom's 40th anniversary and the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon and the start of the Wine & Dine Festival. Crazy, crazy weekend!

TinkerbellT421
10-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Bummed to hear you had a over crowded weekend!

Im now wondering when is truly the best time to visit...Sept is not really it for me anymore.

Personally, and not everyone agrees. But DBF and I personally LOVE January. We have been the first week directly following New Years, wasn't too bad, not insanely busy but not completely uncrowded either. We have been the second week of January, while better than the first week of January it was still busy due to at the time being the marathons, but what we found in our opinion is that after the weekend of marathon the parks died right down, so from that Tuesday - on was fine. We have been the third week of January which we found somewhat busier out of the three due to the MLK holiday, Im not really sure as why, maybe its more locals go than out of state because I do not know about others states but I do know for RI and Mass the children only get that one day off for the holiday. Usually after that direct weekend/MLK Monday holiday, it also died down but was still a decently busier week out of the three. This year we will find out what the last week is like we will let you know what we think.

The only problem we did find with January in general, no matter what week we went, we always found Brazilian Tour Groups which seem to flock all together in huge droves. But we have never had as bad of experiences with them as others here have. We just know when we spot one go out of your way to go into the opposite direction. And usually you cant miss them with the flags....lol

disneyfan328
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
any tips for going during that time since you are a veteran January traveler? We are going for our first time at this time of year in January and are going the week after the marathon (marathon is the sunday we check in for our package) but we are coming in on friday night and then heading to DTD and various excursions for Saturday. No plans on hitting the parks until Sunday around 11:30 am.

How is the weather been? That really is our biggest concern and we will take the tip on the Brazilian tour groups and head the other way! Thanks for the tip!

johnO
10-05-2011, 04:29 PM

If so, yes it was extra crowded due to the Magic Kingdom's 40th anniversary and the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon and the start of the Wine & Dine Festival. Crazy, crazy weekend!

Melanie's right on. Alot of activities this past weekend which would have drawn the crowds for sure. You just timed it for the wrong weekend. Mid September is always good, or, a coule weeks into october, after the first week of F&W seem to be great.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Two years ago we took a late September trip and could not believe how crowded it was. We were shocked. Many, MANY moons ago, we started our Disney obsession with September and October only trips. For 10 years, that's the only time of year we would go. Now, I just can't do it again. I really enjoyed the F&W Festival, but the parks are now so overwhelmed, I can't take it. I LOVE the weather in January, but the BTG's were horrible last year, so now we are going to attempt the first week of February. I hope to have a little luck!

johnO
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
WDWCrazyKaren,

I dont think September is bad. but obviously you dont want to miss F&W. It usually begins the last week of September. That week is bound to be busy. You might want to consider the second week of october. The weather is still great. Be careful to avoid the last week of October however, because there will by a crowd there for Halloween

Aurora
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
We tried to get studio or 1-bedroom rooms for first or second weekends in November at any DVC resort. No luck, not even at Saratoga, which is usually available for something. F&W is still going on these weekends.

TinkerbellT421
10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
any tips for going during that time since you are a veteran January traveler? We are going for our first time at this time of year in January and are going the week after the marathon (marathon is the sunday we check in for our package) but we are coming in on friday night and then heading to DTD and various excursions for Saturday. No plans on hitting the parks until Sunday around 11:30 am.

How is the weather been? That really is our biggest concern and we will take the tip on the Brazilian tour groups and head the other way! Thanks for the tip!

I will send you a PM as to not Highjack the thread. :mickey:

E-OR
10-06-2011, 11:01 AM
We just got back from a 10 day trip on Tuesday. When we first got to WDW the parks seemed almost empty up until Saturday, October 1. This was the first day of food and wine festival. We went to EPCOT and ended up leaving right away becuase it was so crowded. We went over to HS and it was a bit more crowded but still very manageable. By Monday the crowds had become much smaller. Most rides had short wait times, including Star Tours (around 10-=15 minutes), even RR was only a 20 minute wait. We have gone every September for the past 5 years. Over all this was the least crowded that we have seen. Loved our trip. Went on Star Tours at least 10 times and had a blast. Weather was great, it only rained one afternoon our whole trip. Booked the bounceback for next September.

Greenlawler
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I have been telling people for years that as the school calender changed so too did the crowds at DW.

We have been going in Sept, Oct for about 8 years now.

The newer Fall Break scehdules have had a massive impact on the crowds. I am not sure why people forget this. In 2003 very few schools had a Fall Break of any length. Progressivley schools across the nation have been adapting longer week, and two week Fall breaks. In our community more people travel on Fall Break than Spring Break.

Last year I went to the Parks in January, July, October, and December. October felt the most crowded, even more so than July 4th week.

F and W, Half Marathon, MNSSHP, all play a role, however I am convinced Fall Break is the main contributor to the steady rise in attendance.

I live in a medium sized town in rural Tennessee...and there are probably ten families from here at DW right now....If that is true with every community within a day's travel of DW....then you do the math.

Janaury has been a great time for us.

AntMagsMom
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
We just got back from a whirlwind trip ( 2 days total, and yes we hit all 4 parks!). While we had a blast as always, it seemed to me like all of the parks were alot more crowded than we are accustomed to at this time of year.

We've been several time in Sept and Oct, and its never been so crowded before. Was it because it was the weekend?

I just had this same discussion with my husband not five minutes ago!!!

We went from 9/28 to 10/3 and I thought it was very crowded. We went last year from 9/9 - 9/13 and there was a significant difference. I'm trying to figure out the best time too!

AntMagsMom
10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I have been telling people for years that as the school calender changed so too did the crowds at DW.

We have been going in Sept, Oct for about 8 years now.

The newer Fall Break scehdules have had a massive impact on the crowds. I am not sure why people forget this. In 2003 very few schools had a Fall Break of any length. Progressivley schools across the nation have been adapting longer week, and two week Fall breaks. In our community more people travel on Fall Break than Spring Break.

Last year I went to the Parks in January, July, October, and December. October felt the most crowded, even more so than July 4th week.

F and W, Half Marathon, MNSSHP, all play a role, however I am convinced Fall Break is the main contributor to the steady rise in attendance.

I live in a medium sized town in rural Tennessee...and there are probably ten families from here at DW right now....If that is true with every community within a day's travel of DW....then you do the math.

Janaury has been a great time for us.

See, this why I love this board! I never even heard of fall break!

SandmanGStefani24
10-06-2011, 11:55 PM
yeah my last trip was end of sept, beginning of oct and it was pretty crowded. granted, food and wine was in full swing but it was still more crowded than I thought it would be...

BugeyedMuggy
10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
We are at WDW now and Oct 1st weekend was crowded due to 40th anniversary and 1st weekend of F&WF. The weather was beautiful and that could have drawn in more locals. Mid 80"s and very low humidity. During the weekdays the crowds have been really good. Even the F&WF have been very managable. The later in the evening the crowds picked up. We love this week and are going to enjoy the S&D Food & Wine Classic tonite.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
We LOVE October. We always go the 3rd week in October and it is one of the lowest crowd levels of the year. It HAS to be the 3rd week. Any other week and the crowd levels are mid to high crowd levels.

In Sept... the week after school starts (the week after Labor Day) or even a mid week beginning vacation is like a ghost town. Or at least the last time we were in WDW in Sept was like that.

lawgirl
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM

No, it was Sept 23-25. I tried to schedule it to avoid any major events at WDW, but I've never been in Sept when it was so crowded! I think I'll try for October next time. Or January.

Greenlawler
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
We LOVE October. We always go the 3rd week in October and it is one of the lowest crowd levels of the year. It HAS to be the 3rd week. Any other week and the crowd levels are mid to high crowd levels.

In Sept... the week after school starts (the week after Labor Day) or even a mid week beginning vacation is like a ghost town. Or at least the last time we were in WDW in Sept was like that.

Most schools take Fall Break at the end of Sept or the first 2 weeks of October.
I talked to a CM who said the crowds almost cut in half after last week.

That being said Colombus Day is usually pretty busy.

finaldynasty
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
The only problem we did find with January in general, no matter what week we went, we always found Brazilian Tour Groups which seem to flock all together in huge droves. But we have never had as bad of experiences with them as others here have. We just know when we spot one go out of your way to go into the opposite direction. And usually you cant miss them with the flags....lol

I had no idea that the Brazilians invaded WDW during different times of the year. We usually go in June or early July and always run into these groups. While we have not had any problems with them, some on our boards have.

I think the free dining discounts have help increase traffic. My kids are at the tail end of their fall break and we considered going last week, but are changing our trip to next summer. I agree with a PPer that fall breaks are a new phenomenon in recent years. Many school systems are moving towards having winter breaks as well for schools in the south, which will drive up crowds in the parks.

SBETigg
10-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I just got back from a Oct 4- Oct 9 trip. Crowds seemed manageable to me. There were busier parks on some days and it was a little unpredictable, but all in all not bad. I was expecting much busier with Columbus Day Weekend, but there were two days of unusually heavy rains. We spent most of our time in World Showcase, which was pretty crowded most of the time due to F & W, but that didn't bother us. It was festive and fun.