PDA

View Full Version : Which park is hottest?

Mousemates
10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Just a curiosity question, "Which theme park do consider to be the hottest" or to ask the question another way, "which park is the most uncomfortable to visit on a hot summer day?" Any comments as to the why of your vote would be appreciated.

faline
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Animal Kingdom usually always feels hotter than the other parks!

Strmchsr
10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I actually did some research on that with my most recent May & September trips because I was curious about that very thing. Actual air temperature - MK is the hottest due to the massive amounts of concrete and relative lack of shade and receives the least amount of breeze. However, DAK is by far the most humid and even though it has the lowest air temperature (by a couple of degrees on average) due to the massive amounts of shades, the heat index is usually highest in that park. Actual air temp went in this order - Mk, Epcot, DHS, DAK. But, the heat index (comfort level) going in order from least comfortable was: DAK, MK, DHS, Epcot. Epcot has a nice breeze most of the time which helps cut down on the discomfort and the lake actually makes it the coolest place in the evenings. Mk & Epcot also had the most places to easily duck into to cool off.

I measured on multiple days during my trips in the middle of the afternoon (hottest part of the day while wife and sons went to swim) in different parts of the park. I also did them in different orders each time to account for travel between parks, but the results were always the same.

I drove my wife nuts hopping from park to park rapidly to try to measure these things as close to the same time as possible. :mickey:

disneymom15
10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
For sure, Animal Kingdom.

SignguyTom
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I think AK seems hotter because of all the lush trees and vegetation raising the humidity. It just always seems more muggy there.

faline
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I measured on multiple days during my trips in the middle of the afternoon (hottest part of the day while wife and sons went to swim) in different parts of the park. I also did them in different orders each time to account for travel between parks, but the results were always the same.

I drove my wife nuts hopping from park to park rapidly to try to measure these things as close to the same time as possible. :mickey:

Too funny - that you did this! Did you get any strange looks while you were taking your measurements?

CU Tiger
10-05-2011, 10:50 AM
AK always feels hotter than the other parks.:mickey:

EJS-Houston
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I wonder, too, if Animal Kingdom feels hotter because the pathways are narrower than those in the other parks, so it feels more crowded, ergo more body heat to contend with on top the the humidity.

Strmchsr
10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Too funny - that you did this! Did you get any strange looks while you were taking your measurements?

Not too many. My instruments that measure everything fit easily into my pocket or backpack so it wasn't too noticeable. Most folks (if they noticed at all) would probably have thought I was holding a cell phone. A couple of CM's noticed, though, and they were pretty interested with the findings.

AgentC
10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
However, DAK is by far the most humid and even though it has the lowest air temperature (by a couple of degrees on average) due to the massive amounts of shades, the heat index is usually highest in that park. Actual air temp went in this order - Mk, Epcot, DHS, DAK. But, the heat index (comfort level) going in order from least comfortable was: DAK, MK, DHS, Epcot.

I always thought AK felt hotter. Glad to know I am not crazy. :thumbsup:

Did you make it up to your wife later? :mickey:

MOJoe
10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I actually did some research on that with my most recent May & September trips because I was curious about that very thing. Actual air temperature - MK is the hottest due to the massive amounts of concrete and relative lack of shade and receives the least amount of breeze. However, DAK is by far the most humid and even though it has the lowest air temperature (by a couple of degrees on average) due to the massive amounts of shades, the heat index is usually highest in that park. Actual air temp went in this order - Mk, Epcot, DHS, DAK. But, the heat index (comfort level) going in order from least comfortable was: DAK, MK, DHS, Epcot.

I measured on multiple days during my trips in the middle of the afternoon (hottest part of the day while wife and sons went to swim) in different parts of the park.

Where else but right here on Intercot can you get this type of information? Thanks Chris, for providing the actual data that confirms our suspisions.

Strmchsr
10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Did you make it up to your wife later? :mickey:

Absolutely! She doesn't complain too much about my wackiness, though. After all, it's my teaching for the Disney Institute that allows her to get to go to WDW so often. :mickey:

Where else but right here on Intercot can you get this type of information? Thanks Chris, for providing the actual data that confirms our suspisions.

My pleasure. Glad to know my geekiness can help. :D

WDWForever
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd say DAK, there aren't as many indoor air conditioned attractions to cool off like the other parks.

Auntie B
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
AK definately seems the most hot and humid to me. Love it anyway!

Goofy4TheWorld
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Odd man out here because I would say Hollywood Studios is the hottest. Is there a tree anywhere at DHS?

I can't believe everyone says AK is hottest because it is by far my coolest. AK is the ONLY park I can skip the sunblock and not end up in the burn unit at Orlando Regional.

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
To me, I always feel super hot and exhausted at DHS...maybe because its my least favorite park, and there is alot less that I personally want to do there. It seems like there is so much concrete, and so little places to hide from the sun. But that's just my opinion.

Epcot has always seemed the coolest to me...walking around with a margarita might be helping that too!

Disney4
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I used to think AK was, but at least there are fans scattered about to cool you there. DS only has fans in a couple of places and no shade at all.

The backlot area feels like the core of the sun on a July day. (there is a misting system there)

Mousemates
10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I actually did some research on that with my most recent May & September trips because I was curious about that very thing. Actual air temperature - MK is the hottest due to the massive amounts of concrete and relative lack of shade and receives the least amount of breeze. However, DAK is by far the most humid and even though it has the lowest air temperature (by a couple of degrees on average) due to the massive amounts of shades, the heat index is usually highest in that park. Actual air temp went in this order - Mk, Epcot, DHS, DAK. But, the heat index (comfort level) going in order from least comfortable was: DAK, MK, DHS, Epcot.

Wow :jaw:...but I guess it should not have surprised to find out someone had already taken the time to personally research my question (intercot is awesome :thumbsup:)....and as it now stands the anecdotal evidence is certainly affirming your primary empirical findings. Good work Strmchsr. :high5:

AllDisney
10-05-2011, 03:43 PM
We think AK. The humidity & lack of a breeze there just adds to the feel of this park being the hottest!

Gator
10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
June 20, 2002. Walking through Africa in the Animal Kingdom. I'm not sure why, but the heat was unreal. It's always hot in FL in June, but I remember that moment as being the hottest I've ever felt. And it was only 95 according to the weather. The massive rainstorm that came at 4:30 that day was most welcome.

johnO
10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I actually did some research on that with my most recent May & September trips because I was curious about that very thing. Actual air temperature - MK is the hottest due to the massive amounts of concrete and relative lack of shade and receives the least amount of breeze. However, DAK is by far the most humid and even though it has the lowest air temperature (by a couple of degrees on average) due to the massive amounts of shades, the heat index is usually highest in that park. Actual air temp went in this order - Mk, Epcot, DHS, DAK. But, the heat index (comfort level) going in order from least comfortable was: DAK, MK, DHS, Epcot. Epcot has a nice breeze most of the time which helps cut down on the discomfort and the lake actually makes it the coolest place in the evenings. Mk & Epcot also had the most places to easily duck into to cool off.

Chris, thats awesome!!!!

Polynesian Dweller
10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Not too many. My instruments that measure everything fit easily into my pocket or backpack so it wasn't too noticeable. Most folks (if they noticed at all) would probably have thought I was holding a cell phone. A couple of CM's noticed, though, and they were pretty interested with the findings.

Your equipment sounds like it might be somewhat like mine. I always have my Kestrel 4000 with me.

Haven't done the park running thing but over 6 years, always in October and the same week, my average readings come up with the exact same orders. Not scientific but interesting how they match up.

Glad to know I'm not the only nut (my wife's adjective) running around doing this.:thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
10-05-2011, 06:25 PM
It was 99 percent humidity on our last visit to AK. It was the only day on our trip that I felt cranky and the only park I got lost in!

Chris, are you an engineer? That sounds like something I would do to drive my husband crazy with!

Strmchsr
10-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Chris, are you an engineer? That sounds like something I would do to drive my husband crazy with!

Actually, I'm a United Methodist pastor. But, my undergrad degree is in meteorology and I worked in the field for a few years before going into ministry. So, I still think like a scientist a lot.

paragon
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
My vote for hottest, goes to Epcot. There are so many large open areas, which bring heat.
DAK has more shade and we travel at a slower pace there....

mechanic
10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
you guys?! seriously? epcot by far the hottest.

Tink#64
10-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Chris - fantastic findings! :tiphat: So very cool that you went through all of that & took the time to share with all of us! :thanks:

I had to vote for AK, we leave that park almost crawling fom the heat & humidty. I know that is partly due to the fact that we spend so much more time outside in the heat in that park. When we left there this year, we figured it had been 3 hours since we'd even been in any A/C! My second would be DHS, as others have said - almost no shade anywhere there! :fan:

Stickey
10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Chris,

Thank you for your scientiffic data.

The hottest spot at WDW is probably in the line queue at Dumbo.

LudwigVonDrake
10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Animal Kingdom is brutally hot.

texas211
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
AK hands down. Not nearly as many places to duck into for shade and AC. I always compare it to the Bataan Death March through the jungle.

Course, I'm not a big fan of AK. Hot, few attractions, questionable theme. Much rather go to any other park, or even the DTD area.

crltkcagle
10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I think that Epcot is pretty darn hot in the afternoon in World showcase. There are no trees and it feels like the sun just bounces off of the cement! I had to buy a parasol and a fan from China on our last trip because it was so hot. Could have been all of those margarita's too?!?! :D:marg:

mydisneygirls
10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I've posted this before. AK is the hottest park because Disney makes it that way. They make it hot to give the feel as though you were in Africa and because of the animals. Got this info from someone who use to be in the Tarzan show.

DisneyRN
10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I originally answered the poll 2 weeks ago with AK.

But after spending 5 hot days in the parks, I would like to change my answer to Epcot. I felt like an ant frying under a magnifying glass. :flame:

There is no shade in Epcot! :noway:

LauraByTheSea
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd say DAK, there aren't as many indoor air conditioned attractions to cool off like the other parks.

I agree. It's so humid!

finaldynasty
10-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I say AK because of the size and because you can't duck into A/C as much as you can in other parks.

RAIDER
10-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Has to be AK as its so open and the majority of the attactions are outdoors :thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
10-20-2011, 05:09 AM
We've always felt Epcot was hotter - especially walking around the world showcase.... but that is the excuse for us to try all the different :beer: :thumbsup:

texas211
10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Epcot might be a close 2nd. I think I saw someone from the german pavilion burst into flames once.

Plex
10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
There is another factor to the perception of the heat: Air Conditioning!

What I have observed is that presence of AC definitely changes just how hot you feel. In AK, there is almost no air conditioning - only a few attractions. Many of the queues are outside there. Meanwhile, at Epcot, the only time you're not in AC in Future World is when you're walking between pavilions. I think the AC situation definitely plays a part in how the parks feel. Some parks make it much easier to escape than others do.

kdsjjb
10-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I guess we're odd, but we always feel that AK is cooler.

As far as I'm concerned, World Showcase might as well be located on Mercury when you're walking through there on a hot summer day.