PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kindom expansion

BigG007
10-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know what is planned for the space left behind when they move/get rid of the origanl Dumbo ride?

:dumbo:

Butters
10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Probably another meet and greet or a gift shop :secret:

tinklover
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
isn't that where they are going to start building the Dwarfs Mine ride?

BigG007
10-04-2011, 08:51 AM
the dwarfs mine ride is being built inside the new area

BrerGnat
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
The space where the Dumbo ride currently is will be replaced by the new extension of the castle walls, as well as a general walkway/garden area leading to the Beauty and the Beast area. Beast's castle and Belle's village/Gaston's tavern are being developed right now behind where Dumbo sits.

Melanie
10-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I cropped this pic of the concept art to specifically show the area you are asking about.

At the bottom, slightly to the left, you can see the Carousel in it's current place, with the area behind (where Dumbo currently sits) being open. It leads right into the new Beauty and the Beast area of the expansion.

Melanie
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
The space where the Dumbo ride currently is will be replaced by the new extension of the castle walls, as well as a general walkway/garden area leading to the Beauty and the Beast area. Beast's castle and Belle's village/Gaston's tavern are being developed right now behind where Dumbo sits.

:thumbsup:

brivers222
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
That looks pretty awesome! even with our december trip quickly approaching, i am getting super excited about our oct 2013 trip!!!!!

darthmacho
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I can't wait until it is finished. I like the way it looks, and seems as though it will be a lot more green than the current Fantasyland. :mickey:

BigG007
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info

Kairi_7378
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I can't wait, either.

Maybe we can have a Sweet 16 party for Intercot, where we all visit the new Fantasyland together!

mydisneygirls
10-04-2011, 11:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I could swear when we rode the train from Main Street all the way around, it was announced that a second Dumbo ride was to be built and that the original one was staying where it was. My understanding is that there were going to be two!

Melanie
10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I could swear when we rode the train from Main Street all the way around, it was announced that a second Dumbo ride was to be built and that the original one was staying where it was. My understanding is that there were going to be two!

There are going to be two (the 'dueling' Dumbo's), one old and one new. The old one will be moved to the new location and will join it's new counterpart right by the Teacups and the Speedway.

ddcrna
10-05-2011, 06:08 AM
There are going to be two (the 'dueling' Dumbo's), one old and one new. The old one will be moved to the new location and will join it's new counterpart right by the Teacups and the Speedway.

Speaking of which, does anyone else wish the Speedway would Go Away? Seems to me that there is a similar attraction in every small local "theme park" in America. Just doiesn't seem like it goes with the theme of Tomorrowland any more, if it ever did.

Melanie
10-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Speaking of which, does anyone else wish the Speedway would Go Away? Seems to me that there is a similar attraction in every small local "theme park" in America. Just doiesn't seem like it goes with the theme of Tomorrowland any more, if it ever did.

This is another conversation all together, but no, I don't wish they'd do away with the Speedway. Retheme maybe? Sure. But not go away.

CU Tiger
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I do not want the speedway to go away, but to be updated. It would be fun to have a Cars movie themed cars. Who would not enjoy driving Mater around?:mickey:

joonyer
10-05-2011, 11:25 AM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings, or my kids' feelings, one bit if the speedway was done away with or replaced by something else. They think, and I agree, that the speedway is MK's lamest, least interesting attraction. It's totally not unique to Disney, and most cheap, tacky, two-bit, local amusement parks have a better car or go cart ride than this. At least if it were re-themed to Cars with Radiator Springs it would be unique to Disney. My boys refuse to waste their time on the speedway. They won't even ride if there's no wait.

BrerGnat
10-05-2011, 11:37 AM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings, or my kids' feelings, one bit if the speedway was done away with or replaced by something else. They think, and I agree, that the speedway is MK's lamest, least interesting attraction. It's totally not unique to Disney, and most cheap, tacky, two-bit, local amusement parks have a better car or go cart ride than this. At least if it were re-themed to Cars with Radiator Springs it would be unique to Disney. My boys refuse to waste their time on the speedway. They won't even ride if there's no wait.

And my boys are the opposite. They LOVE the speedway. Everyone has different likes, but I think this ride is still immensely popular at WDW, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I'd be for a re-theme, personally, but my sons would disagree. My youngest, in particular, LOVES driving the "race cars", and he is a HUGE Pixar Cars fan...

Main Street Jim
10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone else wish the Speedway would Go Away? Seems to me that there is a similar attraction in every small local "theme park" in America. Just doiesn't seem like it goes with the theme of Tomorrowland any more, if it ever did.!!

:(

:)

One of my favorite rides *ever* - still - Speedway was *the very first ride* I ever went on - with my dad - in 1972. This was where "I wanted to work" if I ever got to work at Magic Kingdom - and ended up there in 2007 :)

The original "theme" of the Speedway was Grand Prix Raceway - where every kid young and old could "pilot their very own Grand Prix car". Think about it - what kid *didn't* want to grow up and drive a car, let alone a "race car"? "In the future", they'd be driving their own vehicle. Here, today, at WDW, they can do it before they're truly "old enough" :)

Don't mess with my Speedway :)

Sorry to take away from the original topic...but I have to defend my attractions...LOL...

I'll also add this:

I'm excited for this expansion. Magic Kingdom has not had a major facelift since the 1988 addition of Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/ToonTown Fair. Everyone thinks there is "so much room" to expand at MK, when in reality, there's not really (much land to expand on). Things needed to be removed (20K - another one of my favorites) in order for something else to happen there. I was kinda..."I dunno" at first...but now that everything's in full swing, stuff's starting to happen, attractions are gettin' done...lookin' good :)

Buttercup
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Yep, another fan of the speedway here too! My kids love being able to drive a car at their age! And we must not be alone. That lineup is always super long!

joonyer
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
And my boys are the opposite. They LOVE the speedway. Everyone has different likes, but I think this ride is still immensely popular at WDW, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I'd be for a re-theme, personally, but my sons would disagree. My youngest, in particular, LOVES driving the "race cars", and he is a HUGE Pixar Cars fan...

Maybe it's because we have a go kart track at our local mini-golf, laser tag, indoor/outdoor amusement "park" that is as longer and faster than the TomorrowLand Speedway. You can actually "race" the cars there. Yeah, I get that 4-5 year olds can't drive the go-karts, but 8 yrs old and up can.

Yet at our local "park", there's nothing remotely like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Splash Mountain, PhilharMagic or even The Tiki Bird Show or It's a Small world. Those are the kinds of attractions we visit WDW for. I don't mind that MK has a car ride, but we don't travel the long distance to Orlando and pay big bucks to spend our time on rides we could experience right here at home. I just wish the speedway was something a little more magical and unique to WDW.

BigG007
10-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Speedway is something special, I have loved the memories I have collected over the years, but I do agree, it doesn't belong in "Tomorrowland" anymore

Maybe some type of electric car ride (sponsored by Segway?)

I also like the Pixar Cars theme type of ride