PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin or Mod resorts?

Simbajr4ever
10-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Haven't tried the dolphin in several years, wondering which we should choose?
We are 2 adults.
thx, :mickey:

faline
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I've never stayed at the Dolphin but it does look like an interesting place to stay. As far as moderates are concerned, I like Port Orleans French Quarter and Coronado Springs. Personally, I would request a king bed if you select one of these resorts.

greengeen
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I love the location - what's not to love - but the last two times we stayed there, I was sad to see how run-down and dated the rooms are. And the service is really below par, especially compared to Disney resorts. We won't be staying there again unless 1) they do a major renovation and get new management or 2) the room rate drops below $89 a night. Just my opinion.

SBETigg
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I stayed at the Dolphin last year, and I had a wonderful room that was not in need of renovation. It was in great shape, and seemed as if it had been recently renovated. Not sure, but was lacking nothing. I've also stayed at POR and given the choice, I would definitely pick the Dolphin, which had larger rooms, great service, restaurants and shops, and a great location. For about the same price as a moderate. Plus, there's Disney transportation and you can take part in EMH (though no Magical Express or Dining Plan). I would choose the Dolphin or Swan over the moderates without any hesitation.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Remember that you cannot get ME or DDP at the Swan of Dolfin (if these are important to you).

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
We looked at the Dolphin and Swan for DD's grad. trip in June - but since we like the DDP (don't have to think once ressies are made), we chose to go with POFQ.

TinkerbellsMom
10-03-2011, 08:51 PM
We just got back from a week at the Swan and loved it! We would stay there again even over the WDW Epcot Resorts as the price is so much better and the Swan\Dolphin are considered 4 star resorts. We enjoyed the pools and found the beds to be heavenly. We also found the hotel to be so much less chaotic as there were less families around all geared up to go to the parks with you everyday. Our DD, 10, even enjoyed it and didn't miss having a Disney theme. We did miss having a balcony. We don't do the dining plan and thought the car service we used was quicker, both trips, than ME so we didn't miss these services.

Kairi_7378
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
That's a tough choice! I haven't stayed at the Dolphin but my aunt just did and they had a wonderful time, a beautiful room, and a fantastic view of Epcot. I'd really be tempted to stay there for the location alone! If you decide that you want to stay in a WDW resort, I'd recommend CSR, which is pretty close to the Dolphin, and a very short ride from Epcot and the Studios.

darthmacho
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Dolphin is nice, but when I visited it, I noticed it didn't have a "Disney" feel to it. Personally, I'd choose the mods any time.

Scar
10-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Dolphin.

I've stayed there twice in the last 2 years and both rooms were in perfect condition and the staff was just as good as any. Not once did I feel like I wasn't at Disney World.

Tigerinvestigator
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
No contest...IMHO the Dolphin is right up there with the best Disney owned deluxe resorts. The location is perfect, the rooms are big and have the best views at wdw. The Dolphin has been undergoing major renovation of the rooms. We have been four times in the last two years and have always had very nice rooms. As far as the disney feel I have never understood that argument. When I am there I am in the very heart of WDW, it has a disney store, Disney guest relations, disney transportation, a view of the fireworks both at Epcot and DHS, all day long kids with Mickey shirts balloons strollers and everything else are walking thru the lobby. They have character dining as well. It is immaculately clean and I have to disagree with the above post about their staff. We have always been blown away at how friendly and accomodating they are (sometimes even more so than Disney). I am as crazy about the Walt Disney Company as anybody and love all things WDW, and the Dolphin is a fantastic resort!:thumbsup:

Hammer
10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Dolphin.

I've stayed there twice in the last 2 years and both rooms were in perfect condition and the staff was just as good as any. Not once did I feel like I wasn't at Disney World.

Agree 100% with this comment. I stayed at the Dolphin over Memorial Day and never did I feel like I wasn't at Disney. I found the Dolphin staff to be more attentive to our needs than at some of the Disney owned resorts.

As far as the disney feel I have never understood that argument. When I am there I am in the very heart of WDW, it has a disney store, Disney guest relations, disney transportation, a view of the fireworks both at Epcot and DHS, all day long kids with Mickey shirts balloons strollers and everything else are walking thru the lobby. They have character dining as well. It is immaculately clean and I have to disagree with the above post about their staff. We have always been blown away at how friendly and accomodating they are (sometimes even more so than Disney). I am as crazy about the Walt Disney Company as anybody and love all things WDW, and the Dolphin is a fantastic resort!:thumbsup:

I've never understood the "lack of Disney feel" argument, either. Why? Because there are conventioneers? I have run into just as many convention attendees when I've stayed at Boardwalk as well as Yacht and Beach Club. I still saw kids all around at the Dolphin and ate at a character meal. I guess I just don't need Mickey Mouse around every corner to feel like I'm at Disney.

darthmacho
10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I've never understood the "lack of Disney feel" argument, either. Why? Because there are conventioneers? I have run into just as many convention attendees when I've stayed at Boardwalk as well as Yacht and Beach Club. I still saw kids all around at the Dolphin and ate at a character meal. I guess I just don't need Mickey Mouse around every corner to feel like I'm at Disney.

I don't think it's a matter of argument, just personal opinion. I don't see too much of Mickey Mouse at any of the mods at which I've stayed, yet they've all had a very Disney "feel", with excellent theming and a lot of back story. Of course the Swan and Dolphin have some of that, but I felt it was more subdued. I didn't even know that there were conventioneers there or otherwise. What I don't understand is why answering a question honestly and supporting it with a personal opinion has to be considered an "argument." Glad you enjoy the Dolphin. I'm sure the staff there is quite friendly and wonderful. You can have my room, because I'll be staying at the mods.

RedSoxFan
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
We had booked the Swan for our upcoming November trip (2 rooms) as it was cheaper than a moderate resort and for the location (on the boardwalk). However, after free dining was announced we switched to AKL (2 rooms) as free dining was a better deal as there are 6 of us. I have never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin; but it looks gorgeous and I'm not so sure you can beat the location vs the moderates. But at the end of the day, it's ones personal opinion and what makes them happy.:mickey:

Hammer
10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Argument may not have been the right word (I wrote that post fast on a break between conference calls). Discussion would be a better term. It just seems that many disredit Swan and Dolphin because they aren't "Disney". I have heard many who comment on the number of convention goers there. For the record, I hear the same thing said about Coronado Springs, which I believe both you and I are big fans. My preference is for my resort to be more subtle in Disney theming to offset the parks which allows me to truely relax.

But at the end of the day, it's ones personal opinion and what makes them happy.

Absolutely! If we all like the same things, the world would be pretty boring :mickey: !

Tigerinvestigator
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
My apologies as well DarthMacho. I used the word argument to reflect two opposing views...(I spend everyday in court) and was not attacking anyone for their opinions...I probably should have said I don't understand why people don't get that Disney feeling at the Swan/Dolphin...again no angry discussion intended....but I will gladly take your room LOL!:thumbsup:

darthmacho
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Argument may not have been the right word (I wrote that post fast on a break between conference calls). Discussion would be a better term. It just seems that many disredit Swan and Dolphin because they aren't "Disney". I have heard many who comment on the number of convention goers there. For the record, I hear the same thing said about Coronado Springs, which I believe both you and I are big fans. My preference is for my resort to be more subtle in Disney theming to offset the parks which allows me to truely relax. Absolutely! If we all like the same things, the world would be pretty boring :mickey: !

My apologies as well DarthMacho. I used the word argument to reflect two opposing views...(I spend everyday in court) and was not attacking anyone for their opinions...I probably should have said I don't understand why people don't get that Disney feeling at the Swan/Dolphin...again no angry discussion intended....but I will gladly take your room LOL!:thumbsup:

I appreciate the clarification. I probably should have realized that there was no hostile intent. To add to the discussion, I have to say that the Dolphin has two things going for it that I hadn't considered (though it still doesn't put it over the top for me) which is 1.) the location, and 2.) the plethora of dining options. That second one is certainly intriguing. I'm still giving away my room...:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Darth let me give you another reason to think about trying the Dolphin. My wife is a nurse and we usually get the Dolphin for between $99 and $159 a night...but the best part is with a starwood membership (which costs nothing) you get a free night every 10,000 points. If you stay a week at the swan or dolphin that means every two trips you get a free night. We also earn starwood pts at other resorts. We have four free nights at the dolphin over the past few years. For the price imho it can't be beat. I just booked the Dolphin for this Dec/Jan and got a $199 and $179/night rate while the moderates were all $259-$300/night. In the words of an old cereal commercial..."Try it DarthMacho...you'll like it":thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I love staying at the S&D. The Dolphin is my personal favorite. The first time we stayed at POR, our first real Disney hotel, my younger nephew was upset that we had to stay there instead of "our" hotel.
I love the location and that I can walk back to the hotel without having to wait on planes, trains, busses, boats, monorails and automobiles.
And I've been in the pool at night and been able to see the Epcot fireworks and hear the music from Fantasmic. That's a real Disney feeling.
And I've always said that their beds are the most comfortable I've ever stayed in. And I worked in the hotel business for 13 years so I've stayed in a few hotels over the years.

jnfr2424
10-15-2011, 05:31 PM
You can have my room, because I'll be staying at the mods.

I will gladly take your room at the Swan & Dolphin! While you are bussing it to the front of Epcot, I'll be leisurely walking in through the back at the International Gateway!

darthmacho
10-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I will gladly take your room at the Swan & Dolphin! While you are bussing it to the front of Epcot, I'll be leisurely walking in through the back at the International Gateway!

Good, because if you're walking, that will give me a better chance of getting a seat on the bus! (Sloth is such a Deadly Sin.) :D

Awesome_guy
10-15-2011, 08:04 PM
We were two adults and loved our stay at Dolphin. Yes, we had to forego Magical Express and the Dining Plan..... but a few things were hard to beat:

the location in relation to Epcot and DS
all that the Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach have to offer (i.e. Beaches and Cream, the restaurants, and the shops
the rates (decent value really!)
the amenities, the grounds, the pool area, etc.

I wouldn't regret staying there again, hopefully soon!

Enjoy... wherever you choose!

Mogie
10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Dolphin and Swan have awesome AAA discounts. you are walking distance to Epcot, theres a Boat to HS right out back. Buses in the front. Great pool area in the back. And some good restaurant choices. Plust the boardwalk is a 2 minute walk.
The only thing its missing is the Disney Theme. and conventions can fill the hotel with lots of suits.

Hammer
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I forgot the most important reason to choose Swan or Dolphin...they are an Intercot Sponsor! If you book using the link on the top of the page, you are helping Intercot!

:thumbsup:

Mousemates
10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
We loved our stay at the Swan....great rooms, great price (even with the annoying "resort fee") and a great location...walk/boat to two parks and the boardwalk and can stroll over to minature golf.

minnie-mouse
10-17-2011, 06:58 PM
How are the restaurants in the Dolphin? Also, can you see the fireworks from their beach there? Is it a long walk to Epcot? Can you walk to Epcot and hop a monorail to MK? Would that take a while?

Awesome_guy
10-17-2011, 11:56 PM
How are the restaurants in the Dolphin? We didn't dine at any but they looked impressive. One is 24h and there seemed to be a nice variety. Not much help here. Also, can you see the fireworks from their beach there? I know some rooms have an Epcot/firework view. Illuminations at Epcot is quite a low firework show and many of the effects involve the lighting, etc. around World showcase; I'm not sure you'd get much of a view from ground level near Swan or Dolphin. Is it a long walk to Epcot? It's about a 10/15/20min walk. The boat can be quicker if it's there and ready. Boardwalk is on the way from one direction (or Yacht/Beach from the other). Disney Studios is also walkable, but we didn't do that walk (we always boated). Can you walk to Epcot and hop a monorail to MK? Would that take a while? You can, IF you have Parkhoppers as entry is required from the back entrance. It DOES take awhile. We did it do do it (our first day so we could see both parks and ride the monorail... but it would never be your most efficient means of travelling).

minnie-mouse
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info Travis. What about the ambience of the Dolphin, is it more crowded than other hotels as they have conventions? Would you recommend the Swan instead? We will have a car with us, so we will most likely boat to Epcot/DHS and drive everywhere else. Is it a nice hotel for kids? We love that there are so many dining options.

Scar
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
How are the restaurants in the Dolphin?Bluezoo and Shula's are top notch.

Also, can you see the fireworks from their beach there?I've never tried. I'd assume you can see the high ones. Honestly though, most of Illuminations Is low and you can't see much outside of World Showcase.

Is it a long walk to Epcot?About 10 mins if you don't stop anywhere.

Can you walk to Epcot and hop a monorail to MK? Would that take a while?I do this often if I'm in no hurry. It does take a while.

What about the ambience of the Dolphin, is it more crowded than other hotels as they have conventions?The ambience is great. On par with any deluxe. The bars will be crowded in the evenings. Other than that, you won't notice a difference.

We will have a car with us, ...They do charge $10/day to park your car there.

minnie-mouse
10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks Jeff! You info is very helpful. We were debating with CBR vs. Dolphin and Dolpin just looks like it has so much more to do and offer us, and the ambience looks delightful!

Mogie
10-19-2011, 11:51 AM
yeah Dolphin Swan really is the best deal in Disney. Starwood has a great relationship with AAA, and gives other great discounts. The hotel may not be Disney themed besides the character breakfasts and the Extra Magic Hour participation...but the hotel is Definitely DISNEYFIED with the giant dolphin and swan statues, the enormous lobby and beach/pool area. The restaurants are good, but a bit pricey. Im staying at AKL and BC in December for a split stay and am actually disappointed I wont be staying at either the Dolphin or swan for a cheaper rate (losing out on Starwood points too) But its a special occasion :) and its good to try something new.

Scar
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
We were debating with CBR vs. Dolphin ...If the rates aren't too far apart, it's a no-brainer. Personally, I thought CBR was not a very good resort.

minnie-mouse
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
occasion :) and its good to try something new.

Yes, that's why we are thinking Dolphin/Swan for our next trip. I can't wait to try a new place and explore! I worry we won't even have enough time to see it all.

Awesome_guy
10-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the info Travis. What about the ambience of the Dolphin, is it more crowded than other hotels as they have conventions? Would you recommend the Swan instead? We will have a car with us, so we will most likely boat to Epcot/DHS and drive everywhere else. Is it a nice hotel for kids? We love that there are so many dining options.

No problem! Happy to report back so positively; we really did enjoy our stay and the location tons!

We did do a walk-through of Swan's lobby to see it. It does seem a bit calmer/smaller... so that's an option. You'd still have full access to Dolphin right across (and its restaurants, etc.). Our only real reason for choosing Dolphin was that we found a package that worked for us; we had no real preference between Swan or Dolphin.

We didn't experience convention mania... based on reports here, that's really a matter of chance.

I think kids would love the pool area, etc. (...and candy store, etc.). We were two adults.

We made tons of use of EMH and even of having purchases sent to our resort..... it was nice to know all those perks still applied.

Wherever you end up... have an awesome trip!! ...I have no doubt that you will! =)

minnie-mouse
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, two more Dolphin questions (they never end do they?!) :blush: - I know you have to pay to park in Dolphin's parking lots but what about if you drive to the parks? Do I have to pay at MK/TTC, Animal Kingdom to park there if I'm staying at Swan/Dolphin? Do you know?

Also, do you need to make reservations at any of the restaurants in Dolphin/Swan? Like Picabus, Mediteranean Market or Garden Grove?

Thank you again!:D

Scar
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Not sure about the parking, I had an AP, or no car the last few trips. But I "think" it's included.

I've never needed a reservation for any restaurant at the S/D. In fact with the exception of the Garden Grove character dinner, the restaurants have been half full, if that. Of course I always go when school is in session.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
You don't have to pay extra for parking at the resorts, you just show your room key. Same for extra magic hours, just show your key. I don't think you have to worry about making ressies for the restaurants but it can't hurt to have them just in case.
Picabu is a 24 hour food service place. It's a great place to grab something if you get back late and are hungry.

BrerGnat
10-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Personally, I don't get the "Disney" feeling at the Swan/Dolphin either. Last two trips, I stayed at the Epcot resorts (BC and BWI), and I visited the Dolphin a few times to eat and the Swan as well. While they are both very nice hotels, when in Disney, I wouldn't choose them.

The Dolphin, in particular, feels very much like a hotel in Las Vegas or something. I just am quite turned off by the huge open spaces, endless carpeted (and boring) hallways branching off the main lobby, and complex layout of the place. It's very impersonal and just not what I'd want to experience while at WDW. We had a very hard time locating the bathrooms on the lobby level, due to lack of signage and everything looking the same.

If you were thinking of the Swan, I'd choose that over the moderates, but considering that the Dolphin still has double beds in the rooms, no balconies, etc, I'd choose a moderate over it to be honest. I think the Swan and Dolphin are *just* far enough away from Epcot to make the walk to the IG more of a hassle than a convenience, and those Friendship boats are SLOWWWWWW.

While at first, the rates seem quite attractive for the Swan/Dolphin, once you add on the resort fee, and the parking fee (if you have a car) or the transportation fee to/from MCO, the price starts to not seem like such a great value.

Just my opinion. I've enjoyed my stays at POR very much in the past. I would not hesitate to return there in the future.

My husband even said "let's never stay here" when we visited the Dolphin on our last trip. He didn't like the vibe of the place either...

Hammer
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Actually, I like the fact that these hotels have large open spaces. I sometimes feel like people are on top of me at some WDW hotels and you get enough of that in the parks. Natalie, you mentioned it feels like a hotel in Las Vegas. I see that as a positive, though. It is also funny you mentioned POR and how much you liked it. I had 2 horrible experiences staying there and never recommend it to people going to WDW.

I think all of these posts prove that you are going to get varying opinions on the Dolphin/Swan. Ultimately, you know what you want out of this vacation and if the Swan/Dolphin will make it an enjoyable.