PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Browse Intercot?

Goofy4TheWorld
09-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I see posts (and hear Podcasts) where folks talk about not seeing some bit of information on the Boards because they "never look in that forum". This has always been odd to me because my daily/hourly/constant-refresh browsing of Intercot is done by clicking "New Posts" which allows me to browse across all forums and threads and read whatever interests me.

I am just curious...do more people browse by forum instead of just viewing all "new posts"?

(Of course the browse by forum folks may not see this thread since it is in The Water Cooler:blush:)

DisneyMom12
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I always use new posts, unless I'm looking for something specific.

Mammabruski
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I typically go to "Today's Posts" and then if I feel like answering a thread or starting a new topic I login....

Kairi_7378
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
I am weird... I go from forum to forum, in the following order:

1.) Dining (my favorite area to read about)
2.) Accommodations
3.) Vacation Planning
4.) Theme Parks
5.) Water Cooler.

StuckinOz
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM

2.) Accommodations
3.) Vacation Planning
4.) Theme Parks
5.) Water Cooler.

:ditto:

Except my order is usually:

1. Dining
2. Accommodations
3. Theme Parks
4. News, Rumors and Imagineering

Goofy4TheWorld
09-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I typically go to "Today's Posts" and then if I feel like answering a thread or starting a new topic I login....

Ooops, I forgot about "Today's Posts" :blush:

DisneyMom12
09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I've never seen Today's Post as a choice. :confused:

Melanie
09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
For years and years, I used to go to specific forums and had an order I did it in every day.

For whatever reason, a couple years ago I started using the "New Posts" function and that is now exclusively how I browse the boards. :thumbsup:

2Epcot
09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
I will usually check the Disneyland forums first, then click on new posts.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I've never seen Today's Post as a choice. :confused:

You have to first click "Quick Links" at the top of the window and then select "Today's Posts" from the drop-down menu.

I am pretty sure it shows all threads updated within the last 24 hours and is handy for finding a thread that you remember reading earlier in the day but one that hasn't been updated since your last visit IF your last visit was less the 24 hours ago.

CanadianWDWFan
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
For me "Today's Posts" is the way to go. I have always done it that way unless I am looking up something specific.

magicofdisney
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I always click User CP first. After I've checked out those, I click New Posts. Then, if I have time and a specific interest, I will go to different forums.

DisneyMom12
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
You have to first click "Quick Links" at the top of the window and then select "Today's Posts" from the drop-down menu.

I am pretty sure it shows all threads updated within the last 24 hours and is handy for finding a thread that you remember reading earlier in the day but one that hasn't been updated since your last visit IF your last visit was less the 24 hours ago.

:thanks:

Goofy4TheWorld
09-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I always click User CP first. After I've checked out those, I click New Posts. Then, if I have time and a specific interest, I will go to different forums.

Now I'm going to learn something new. What exactly does User CP show?

MNNHFLTX
09-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I always check certain forums first--Theme Parks and Accommodations, but that's because I moderate those. I would bet that a lot of moderators check by forum and not by new posts. But maybe that's just me. :)

Melanie
09-30-2011, 11:09 PM

Do you go there to check your subscribed threads? I can't think of another reason you would check there.

For me "Today's Posts" is the way to go. I have always done it that way unless I am looking up something specific.

I've never heard of this until today either. Learn something new every day. :blush:

DizneyRox
10-01-2011, 12:07 AM
By Forums...

There are a number of forums I couldn't care less about, so I don't need to know about any posts there. Normally, anything Disneyland, Trip Reports, The Locker Room, etc. I might get an bit curious based on a front page post and click through...

SBETigg
10-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I do both, but most often I just check in New Posts.

Hull-onian
10-01-2011, 11:20 AM

2.) Accommodations
3.) Vacation Planning
4.) Theme Parks
5.) Water Cooler.

me too...and in the same order GMTA:thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh Goodgrief! Now I feel like a complete idiot. Over 7 years daily coming here to Intercot and I have never noticed the New Posts button.:bang::badpc::rotfl:

cer
10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I use "Today's Posts".

magicofdisney
10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Do you go there to check your subscribed threads? I can't think of another reason you would check there.
Yes. It's especially helpful if someone replies to an older thread in which I participated (I may not remember otherwise).

Melanie
10-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes. It's especially helpful if someone replies to an older thread in which I participated (I may not remember otherwise).

:thumbsup:

Hammer
10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I always check certain forums first--Theme Parks and Accommodations, but that's because I moderate those. I would bet that a lot of moderators check by forum and not by new posts. But maybe that's just me. :)

No Beth, you aren't the only moderator who does that. That is my plan too, especially when I'm at work and have a limited amount of time to look at Intercot. I check them in this order:

Locker Room
Dining
Accommodations
Guests with Special Needs

Sometimes Dining and Accommodations switch places. Then I look at other forums as time allows, usually starting with News, Rumors, and Imagineering.

DonLefNY
10-01-2011, 05:21 PM
By forum. I generally just check three of them in this order.
Always the DVC forum and once and a while I'll pop into Vacation Planning and The Water Cooler.

diz_girl
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I didn't know about New Posts, Today's Posts, and User CP as a way to look up posts. I'll try them.

If any of the brand new posts on the Homepage are interesting, I'll go on them. Then, I go on specific forums, but in a slightly nutty way, from the bottom up and only the ones that interest me. I don't know why I do it that way, but the regular order is -

Movies, TV, Music and Musicals
The Locker Room
The Water Cooler
Mousellaneous
The INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast
News, Rumors & Imagineering
Vacations Outside Florida (not quite as often)
Vacation Planning
Dining
Disney Vacation Club
Accommodations
Theme Parks

I look at the other forums either less frequently or not at all.

Kind of like how I eat M&Ms. Whatever is in my hand, I sort by color, eat two of each color at a time, one on each side of the mouth, from one end of the color range to the other - blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown. If I'm left with one, I bite it in half. Although when I'm feeling reckless, I down a handful without sorting. Jeez - I need help! Or a life.

Joannelet
10-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I always go to new posts when entering the site.

Carol
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I would bet that a lot of moderators check by forum and not by new posts. But maybe that's just me. :)

Not alone, Beth. That is how I browse. :)

DisneyDINK
10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
My searching varies depending on whether I'm planning a trip or not. I'm kind of in-between trips right now, so I usually start with the "New Posts" link. (I too didn't know there was a "Today's Posts".) I usually wind up At Games & Trivia.

When I have a trip coming up I usually start with Accomodations, Vacation Planning and then Dining. After that I'm off the the "New Posts" button.

I also often go into my user profile, click "Show All Statistics" and then look at my posts to see if people have replied to a post, etc.

McLiberal8
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Yep, look at my 'user CP' first, to see if any threads I have discussed previously have any new posts, then I go to 'new posts' to see the new discussions, today :)

RAIDER
10-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I browse by forum as i tend to have my favourites i always go to such as the locker room theme parks and rumours etc :thumbsup:

Jared
10-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh Goodgrief! Now I feel like a complete idiot. Over 7 years daily coming here to Intercot and I have never noticed the New Posts button.:bang::badpc::rotfl:
Don't feel bad. I've been posting here for more than a decade (gosh, that's frightening), and I never that button existed until right now. Like Melanie said, I suppose you learn something new every day!