PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP sold out tonight - has this ever happened?

Melanie
09-30-2011, 09:51 AM
So, has a MNSSHP ever sold out in September? It was announced yesterday morning that tonight has sold out. I guess it's not really surprising this particular weekend since it's the 40th tomorrow and it's Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon weekend.

As a side not, I'm a little perturbed because we were planning on going tonight using the military discount (tonight was one of the advertised dates on the offer), BUT you can only buy these discounted tickets at a WDW ticket outlet. No advance sales over the phone or internet. So we are out of luck! Doesn't really seem fair. So glad we weren't a family coming from out of town with big plans to attend tonight's party. :unsure:

magicofdisney
09-30-2011, 10:06 AM
In the last week or two I've read at least 2 posts that stated they were not putting caps on attendance. Now I'm confused on how they can be sold out. And, if they are sold out, how many people must be going to this party? Perhaps it's a good thing you can't get tickets. Regardless, I understand your frustration.

MickeysBestPal
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
It was announced yesterday morning that tonight has sold out.

I'm a little perturbed because we were planning on going tonight using the military discount (

So we are out of luck!

In the last week or two I've read at least 2 posts that stated they were not putting caps on attendance.

In the past for some "sold out" parties, they have reopened ticket sales on the day-of (or a bit earlier than) the sold-out date.

Check when you arrive.

BrerGnat
09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
I thought the "sold out" only meant for presales? Are you sure you can't buy a military discount ticket? I mean, if you can only buy them day of, how would they expect those people to know that a date is sold out?

Why not call and make sure you're out of luck?

Scar
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Why not call and make sure you're out of luck?I have a feeling Melanie won't be calling. ;)

... If DIsney can't tell me, who can???? I'm sometimes amazed at what these folks at the call centers don't know.

Joannelet
09-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I called yesterday to book tours and she asked me if I already had the halloween tix as they plan on all of them selling out. She said a lot are already including last night and some others she mentioned. Wasn't paying attention too much because we already have ours.

RBrooksC
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I am curious. While I won't have to worry about this for a couple of years, what are the crowds like for the party, especially if the event is "sold out" like this one?

I guess use the Touring Plans 1-10 scale...

DNS
09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
I have wondered if there was a cap on attendance for these parties. I wonder if it is comparable to the limits for MK on normal days. After reading this, I am glad I already bought our Christmas party tickets.

BugeyedMuggy
09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree with Melanie. Many times I have asked a question I have gotten different answers or none at all. It would be nice if Disney could put you thru to someone who does have the correct answer or train the people not to give the wrong answer. We are not attending the MNSSHP this year as we have done this party 3 years in a row. We have noticed each year the crowds have gotten much larger. Last year early Oct on a week day was crazy (we did have fun tho) This year we are putting that $$ towards the S&D Food & Wine Classic. Try someting else.

Melanie
09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Why not call and make sure you're out of luck?

I have a feeling Melanie won't be calling. ;)

I called alright, regarding this and trying to get a straight answer from Disney on my earlier question regarding whether we could get the military discount again (3 last week, 3 this week, 6 total). Yep, while waiting for that straight answer from Disney, the party sold out! I could have bought them with my AP discount had I known.

So last night when I called, I was a lot perturbed. See below for even more reason why. By this morning, I was just a little perturbed. ;)

I agree with Melanie. Many times I have asked a question I have gotten different answers or none at all. It would be nice if Disney could put you thru to someone who does have the correct answer or train the people not to give the wrong answer.

Just to relay, this past week when calling regarding this offer, both times I was ultimately transferred to 'ticket sales'. Since I was calling during non-business hours, the ticket sales recording basically says 'Sorry, we're closed. Have a great day.' Click! No opportunity to go back to a main menu, no opportunity to leave a message, nothing. Click. So all my time was wasted without any answers. Seriously, did these folks who transferred me not know 'ticket sales' was closed? ugh.

Scott C
09-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I was there last Friday night-it seemed very crowded to me. That being said there is no way that I would want to go if it was sold out.

Thanks
Scott C

Melanie
09-30-2011, 04:14 PM
That being said there is no way that I would want to go if it was sold out.

Me either, and for that reason, it's a blessing in disguise. It's just the principle of it for me.

spinnerf
09-30-2011, 04:32 PM
I just walked out of mk 15 minutes ago, there was a sign in front of guest services staying tonight's event was sold out. I doubt they will start selling tickets. Today's crowds were not bad, big rides had a max of 30 minute wait, with most having a10 minute wait. Interestingly Haunted Mansion has been closed for technical difficulty almost all day.

alaMode
10-01-2011, 05:08 AM
We went last year on Halloween. It was sold out a couple of weeks or so in advance. It did not seem crowded at all-maybe a 5 out of 10? We arrived at 5 pm and stayed until the end. We did it all: rides, parade, fireworks, candy, villainous characters, etc. We had a blast!
Can't wait to go this year-I bought our tickets last week for the 10/30 party.

epceddie
10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
My wife and I went to the MNSSHP on Tuesday (the 27th) and we couldn't believe how many people were there. It was the biggest crowd we've ever seen for a special-ticket event. The crowd thinned out a bit after 7 p.m. when all the non-ticket holders had to leave, but there were still people everywhere. Surprisingly, we didn't have to wait for any rides. We walked on Buzz Lightyear, POC, the Haunted Mansion (three times in a row), and the Hall of Presidents was half full.
We also ran into big crowds at Downtown Disney all week. Raglan Road was packed to capacity Thursday night.
We like going in September because the crowds have been light the last couple of years. Not this time, though.
The Land at Epcot was an absolute zoo. We got Fastpasses for Soarin at 11 a,m, and the return time was 2:25 p.m. We ended up giving them away. There was no way we were going to hang around for three-plus hours to go on one ride. Living with the Land is fun, but how many times can you ride it?
I guess the 40th anniversary and the half marathon brought some extra people down, but if this is the offseason, I can't even begin to think how crowded and gridlocked everything must be during the week oc Christmas. Oh, the horror!

Harkleroad
10-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I typically don't post very often but after returning from our week long trip less than an hour ago I have alot of things on my mind this year. MNSSHP is at the top of the list. We went last night (Sept 30). This was our 3rd trip this time of year and are usually very happy. Last night basically ruined the party for us. The crowd was the busiest that I have ever seen this time of year. And yes it was sold out- IN SEPTEMBER! I bought our tickets Thurs. morning and signs started popping up later in the day that said it was sold out. We have never waited more than 5-10 mins for anything during the party. The waits were longer during the party than they were during the day. Before the party even started there were lines
to meet Mickey and the Princesses. At 7:00 the waits were already and hour and by the time we made it to the 7 Dwarfs it was over an hour. The candy lines were super long but fortunately they moved quickly. My husband was very disappointed and said it looks like they have taken something that was a very fun and special event and turned it into something that isn't even as enjoyable as a regular park day. At one point he even wanted to leave and forget about the extra $$ we had spent. Sorry this is becoming lengthy but we were extremely unhappy with the experience. I really don't want to sound completely negative. My boys (5 & 2) had a wonderful time and were oblivious to the crowds. There were characters everywhere (if you were willing to wait). I do want to give fair warning that several cast members mentioned that many of the future parties are already sold out even though they were selling more tickets. So good luck for you future party goers. I wish you a much better experience than ours.

disneymaniacswc
10-01-2011, 11:25 PM
We went to the first one this year (Sept 13) and it was very crowded. The lines for the rides weren't horrible, but bad enough. The lines for the characters were really bad though. And the trick or treat lines were long. The girls wanted to go through the trick or treat lines a few times and that limited what else we could do. We went to the party a few years ago and the crowds weren't bad at all. We did everything we wanted and had time to stop at the dance party the rest of the night. This year there was never a chance to stop if we wanted to do most of the activities. I remember the crowds thinning out after the fireworks the last time. Didn't happen this time. We won't be attending it again for a while.

sara114
10-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I also was at the party last night (30th)...it was my first and last party. I left just after the fireworks due to the crowds. I was able to do more between 4 &7 than after the party began.
The Haunted Mansion was running after 4.

trudisneygal
10-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Just wondering, how crowded is "very crowded"? How long are the wait times for rides usually? Just curious.

Harkleroad
10-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't think that the ride times were terrible, but we were there from 9-1 that morning and the waits were shorter then. I will compare the best I can remember.
Ride Waits during MNSSHP (during morning hours)
Dumbo 25 mins (30 mins)
Pooh 20 mins (10 mins)
Haunted Mansion 45 mins (5 mins)
Splash 20 mins (15 mins)
Buzz 20 mins (10 mins)
Peter Pan 30 mins (45 mins)
Space Mountain - closed due technical difficulties while we were there at least
Small World 20 mins ( 10 mins)
Thats what I can think of for the moment. The waits weren't bad if compared to the summer but if compared to previous parties they were doubled. If you are going strictly for rides it probably wouldn't be that bad. Candy lines took about 15 mins or so each. They looked much longer but moved quickly. Character waits on the other had were around an hour long - give or take depending on the character. There just seemed to be more congestion in the streets. It was the most stressed that I have been at a park, and we have traveled summer, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

Joannelet
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Great just great. We are going for the first time Oct 23rd. I am assuming by what everyone is saying it will be our last. The one thing I really want to do is get a pic with the 7 dwarves. Are they out the entire party or are there specific times? And can anyone verify their exact location? I will be 7 months prego and in no mood to walk any unnecessary steps. Lol

emerzmom
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, this is really making me re-think going next fall. I have been several times during mid October and usually love it. The weather is pleasant, the crowds are reasonable, and I have loved MNSSHP. I will keep reading the posts and see how things go.

Harkleroad
10-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Joanlett - Don't get discouraged. Just be prepared that it may be a little more crowed than most people talk about in October. My boys still had a blast and really loved the characters. We did not wait for the 7 dwarfs and my DS 5 was ok with that since it was pictures only and no autographs - he was all about the autographs this year. They were located by Splash Mountain. We were told that characters are out until 11:30. We were in line for the princesses and their prince charmings around 11, and they closed the doors shortly after. We saw them about 11:45 so I am guessing they shut lines down so that the characters will be done by closing. I also went when my oldest was 2 1/2 and I was 7 months pregnant. Relax and enjoy!

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
So sorry to hear that! We just got back from a Friday night party, and it was crazy crowded. I did not expect the crowds!

We had gone to one one of the MVMCP last Dec, and it was almost empty. It was amazing! I was hoping the MNSSHP would be the same...boy was I wrong!

We never really had to wait for any rides, but there were people everywhere! Maneuvering around was a little tricky, and not something I had planned on. Oh well!

doombuggy
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a friend who went on a weeknight a couple of weeks ago (mid-Sept) and said it was crowded. This surprised me since it was a Tuesday I am pretty sure.

Part of the "sold out" reason for last Friday was because admission was included for those of us who went to the Room for 1 More Event. I paid $285 for the event (one day), but passed on the MNSSHP as I was too tired - I just drove the 40 miles back home to feed my stray cat rescue. The event was over around 9:15, so people from the event were trickling over to the MK during the fireworks.

It's always be crowded on Halloween (I have gone on the 31st twice), but not as much on the other nights. Maybe they have increased the number of tickets sold? I love going to this event, if only to see the parade & fireworks.

Melanie
10-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Part of the "sold out" reason for last Friday was because admission was included for those of us who went to the Room for 1 More Event.

What was this event for? Haven't heard of it.

By the way, I still haven't heard back from the email I sent asking for a more clear definition of the military offer. It's been a week now. :unsure:

faline
10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
What was this event for? Haven't heard of it.

What I understand is that there was a Haunted Mansion event scheduled for the same evening. Folks who bought VERY expensive tickets for this event weren't even going to be allowed into the park for a ride on the Haunted Mansion (The event was held at the Contemporary). Then Disney decided that they were saving a "surprise" for attendees and they would be allowed into the park after the event, which was held at the Contemporary, ended.

Sounds like poor planning on Disney's part - several different divisions not putting calendars together and trying to reverse course at the last minute.

doombuggy
10-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes, this was the Haunted Mansion Event. My guess is that MNSSHP was already on the schedule for the night they chose (9/30/11) and they (Event Services) couldn't do an in-park event. Then a couple of weeks before hand, the Disney Blog announces an evening with an imagineer with a HM walk thru (not sure of the details, as i didn't hear about it until it was too late). Talk about poor planning (and trust me, many event attendees compalined to ES about it, tho not me). the event was fun but would have been better with at least a ride thru. I went to a private HM event in Feb 2008 at DL that included a ride thru after the park was closed (we ate at Blue Bayou & had some Disney legends who helped design the ride speak at the event).

TheVBs
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Just back from our trip and we did our first ever MNSSHP on Tuesday 9/27. It was definitely more crowded than we expected! We had a great time, but it quickly became apparent that we had to prioritize what we wanted to do.

In terms of characters: we lucked out with the Princesses/Princes and caught a fairly short line just before the party started. The lines for the characters greeting near the castle were extremely long, so we picked one, Gaston (who was fabulous!) and moved on. Waited in a long line to meet Tiana and Naveen in another area of the park. And, met the Evil Queen after the last Villans show in front of the castle, but it was a madhouse there! Even if we had dedicated the entire night to meeting characters, I doubt we would have gotten to even half of them, that's how long the lines were.

Rides were all pretty much walk ons. The only one we saw a long wait for (40 mins.) was Peter Pan. Although, unfortunately, we didn't make it back to the HM to ride and see Leota out front.

The candy lines were all quick and even though we only did a few, we ended up with a ton of candy! Possibly most of it came from the last line we were in just before closing where they really loaded us up. :D

The fireworks and parade were incredible!! Talk about a WOW! factor! :mickey: We waited for the second parade, but thankfully camped out early to make sure we saw the Headless Horseman. I would say the second parade was as at least as crowded, if not more, than the first parade.

We wrapped up the night at Stitch's dance party which the girls loved.

In retrospect we had a blast, and are really glad we did the party, but wish we'd had a better plan in terms of dealing with the crowd levels. I don't think we would do this party again any time soon though. I also think it was a mistake to try this on our first park day (we'd arrived the day before, so had gotten a good night's sleep). I really didn't expect the girls to make it until closing, but they did! I think that really threw us in terms of sleep and energy for the rest of the trip. But, again, so glad we did it this time! :mickey: