PDA

View Full Version : Handicap accessiblity at DVC

LVT
09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I have accessibility questions for the 2 bedroom or larger grand villas, any of them.
Are many 1 floor only?
Are all the accessible bathrooms of 1 plan or are there choices for the guest, depending on the disability?
BIL has lost 1 leg and has issues with some tub/shower designs. The shower handles and controls for him have to be near the seat. It does not work to just add a seat to the far end of a standard tub.
Are the doorways, halls etc. wheelchair wide?
I do not know what is available. Thanks you for considering these questions.

Hammer
09-29-2011, 10:51 PM
All of the DVC resorts have handicap accessible rooms in all categories. I travel with my mother who uses a wheelchair, so I request a handicap accessible 2 bedroom when I book. I have never requested a Grand Villa as we don't need that much room. I always book at the 7 month mark and I tell Member Services I need a handicap accessible reservation. They put me on hold, check and see if there is availability at my first choice. So far, they have always been able to accommodate my first choice.

The 2 bedroom villas are 1 story. They will ask if you need a bathroom with a roll-in shower (we don't). We have gotten a 2 bedroom with the roll-in shower in the Master bathroom. If I remember correctly, the handles are close to the seat, which is pull down. My Mom has not had any trouble rolling into at least one of the bathrooms. I will say, she could not roll into the 3rd bathroom at BLT. That is the only door we found which was not wheelchair width.

I will say Mom did not find the 2 bedroom at BLT that easy to navigate. The furniture design made for some jagged corners, which Mom had some trouble maneuvering. Mom's favorite 2 bedroom layout for using her chair was at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge and she also liked Saratoga Springs (we were in a studio there, though). We will be at a handicap accessible 2 bedroom at SSR in 10 days, so I'll report back on how it stands up.

LVT
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you so much for the first hand report. I will watch for more.:secret: