PDA

View Full Version : September is Childhood Cancer Month...

DisneyRN
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
If you don't know, I work in a peds ICU. As of lately, we have had an overwhelming amount of terrible and unusual pediatric patients pass away or relapse with their cancers.

It has taken a toll on the staff of my hospital, as I am sure it does on staff at other children's hospitals that experience these "bad times." :ill:

What I'm asking of each of you all that may read this is to: donate to your local children's hospitals that treats pediatric oncology patients (every dollar does count); give to Ronald McDonald House (at McD's)-gives families somewhere to stay when they are at the hospital; hug your child today. Don't take them for granted, for they may be gone tomorrow.

God bless you all! :cloud9:

Joannelet
09-29-2011, 09:32 PM
I follow a lot of these children on facebook and they all passed away recently. :( My heart goes out to you because you have to see this all the time. It is truly heartbreaking watching a child suffer and their family suffer too. :( Everyone should be wearing yellow this month for it. 46 children everyday are diagnosed with cancer. 7 children everyday die from it. It is the leading cause of death in children and only 3% of all cancer research goes to childhood cancer research.

Life is too short. I agree everyone should donate to the great organizations out there that do so much for these children.

Go Team Ethan and Faith's Friends!

Thanks for writing this post DisneyRN so many are unaware that September is childhood cancer awareness month.

Ian
09-30-2011, 06:53 PM
This subject is very personal for me, as a good friend that many of us know had a young son named Sam who passed away from leukemia. I also work in pharma marketing and we specialize in rare diseases that often affect children. Top it all off with the fact that I'm a Father of four and can all-too-easily see the "There but for the grace of God go I ... " aspect of this and suffice it to say this is one of the topics I'm most passionate about.

Please follow Joannelet's advice and donate, donate, donate. If you can't donate money, donate your time. Or old clothing or toys or books. We all have something to give and what better way to give of yourself than to help a child and a family desperately in need of a miracle.

Kairi_7378
09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
My brother was diagnosed with liver cancer at age 20... so he wasn't a "childhood cancer" patient, per se... but my parents relied heavily on the Ronald McDonald House when he was in care. It is very hard to express how much it helped our family for my parents to be able to stay right with my brother, if they needed to. We think that was one of the major factors that contributed to his recovering. So I agree with Disney RN that this is a fantastic charity to give to, if you feel so inclined.

princessgirls
10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Breaks my heart. Too many little lives taken by cancer.

Be thankful for ALL of those who work so lovingly and truly care for the patient and the family.
Donate as Joannelett encouraged. Ronald McDonald House and St. Judes are amazing organizations. Also Make a Wish does awesome work.

Take a moment to pray for those who treat these little ones. Pray for strength for them. The team of professionals that care for these children are wonderful people. They truly care.
Miracles can happen, and I keep that hope always.

May God bless you and continue to uplift you as you care for these little ones.
Julie:mickey:

P.S. My sister was a Ped's ICU nurse for 5 years. One of her tiny patients that almost didn't make it, is a happy healthy nine year old who attended my sister's wedding in May. They have such a special bond, and my sister has celebrated every one of her birthdays with her.
She went on to get her masters in nursing and left the Ped's ICU, but it never left her heart. In lieu of a favor a donation was made to Tomorrow's Children (at the hospital where she used to work).
Julie:mickey: