PDA

View Full Version : Combining our DVC points with rented points...when can I book?

azcavalier
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
So, we're looking at renting an OKW Grand Villa in Dec. 2012. We have 25 points at OKW (and just purchased another 25pts at OKW, same use year). So, we'll have 50 points for this coming year, and we can borrow another 50 from 2013. We have already banked 50 points, giving us 150 points to use next year.

We have some friends who have 200 points at BLT, and are thinking of renting them because they're not going to use them. That would be a total of 350 points, and an OKW Grand Villa during Dec. is 349 for the week. Perfect.

Here's the question. I hear that the Grand Villas are hard to rent. As OKW is our home resort, when we use our OKW points, we can book 11 months out. But since the majority of our points will be BLT rentals, does this affect when I can book? We'll be using our OKW points to book an OKW property, but I have a feeling that they won't let me book 11 months out.

diz_girl
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Your suspicion is correct. Since the rented/borrowed points will be BLT points, then you are subject to the 7-month rule. You can book at 11 months with your points, but you'll have to wait until the 7-month mark in order to use the BLT points. If I am wrong, someone else can come along and correct me.

laprana
09-29-2011, 09:58 AM
You will only be able to book whatever your OKW points will cover at the 11-month mark. So, if you have 150 OKW points to use, you will be able to book however many nights that will get you in a grand villa at the 11-month mark. Then, you will have to wait until the 7-month mark to use the BLT points to book whatever remaining days you want in the OKW GV. You would be taking a risk of not getting all the nights you want in the GV by doing this, but you could always waitlist if you can't get the nights you need at the 7-month mark.

DizneyRox
09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Points retain their home resort, even through a transfer. 7 months for all in the same place...

Aurora
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
What you could do with the BLT points is, at 11 months, try to book 2 nights in a GV at BLT (at either end of your OKW stay), then call again at 7 months and try to switch to OKW. That way, if worst came to worst and you couldn't get the OKW GV for the rest of your days, you'd still have the GV at BLT. (Unfortunately your points don't go as far there as at OKW.)