PDA

View Full Version : The Economy, WDW and You

johnO
09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
For my 1000 post, I figure I'll make it a topic question. With the economy's downturn, have you been directly hit with regards to your ability to make your trip(s) to WDW?

The economy has caught up to us for sure. This year will be the first in five that we wont be able to make it to WDW, not even for a long weekend. We're bummed about it but the money just isnt there this year. Has it happened to you?

Suzi Q
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Definitely impacted but have only missed one trip. Some shorter trips. I did get a lot more creative in saving money in small ways to add to the Disney fund!

MNNHFLTX
09-28-2011, 08:41 PM
We are fortunate in that my husband's income has increased enough to pretty much offset the effects of the economy, and my income is stable too. However, putting our son through college over the last year has strained our purse strings a bit. So while I can't say that we are doing without our WDW trips (or other vacations), I am trying to be more frugal in other areas to help compensate.

Dulcee
09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't say the economy has stopped us.... but moving cross country, starting new jobs/school, saving for a wedding and buying a house certainly has put a damper on things.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-28-2011, 09:03 PM
It hasn't stopped us either, but we save in other areas so we can still take trips. We eat in more, shop more sales and discount stores and generally save more so we don't have to go without WDW!

DizneyRox
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
The economy hasn't impacted our ability to vacation, just our desire for value. We're not finding the value at WDW, so we haven't been in a while. We did a cruise over the summer, spent more on souvies than we have at WDW over the past 5 years combined. We're planning another cruise for next year, probably renting our DVC points which will cover the cruise and then some.

Tink#64
09-29-2011, 12:26 AM
I still think that a WDW is a good value for our money, we've spent just as much on beach vacations! The economy has had a definite impact on alot of us, we just try to cut every corner possible. I feel very fortunate that we were able to return to WDW this year, but vacation is important to us & when the DS's say they want to go back to WDW, we cut every coner possible to try to make it happen. We always stay value and go with a definite budget. Our budget has tightened up as a whole, all year round, but our big family vacation is probably what we look forward to the most all year long, so it's well worth whatever budget cuts & sacrifices we make! This year one thing to go was TS meals! But we had some fantastic CS meals & don't feel like we missed out on anything! It was kind of nice, not planning around any ADR's! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
The economy itself hasn't caused any problems for us financially (DH is military, so no worries about income), but our cross country move and subsequent expenses related to it sure have made an impact! However, we are still going to WDW (thanks to the Armed forces salute room and ticket discounts!) in December. Honestly, the deal is too good to pass up, and DH is getting a mandated 2.5 weeks off and that NEVER happens, so we are running with it.

We've cut back on other things, mostly eating out and stuff, in order to make it possible.

Butters
09-29-2011, 10:42 AM
We luckily have not felt the impact of the economy, but do to all the news we've been trying harder to save "just in case" but we have kept our travel budget in tact... Going to Disney every other year and a separate trip in the in-between years.

darthmacho
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes. As you can see in my signature below, our 2012 WDW plans are in limbo. The reason is that I work for the USPS, and as everyone knows, our future is uncertain. While our difficulties aren't simply economic, it certainly is not helping matters, and we're relying on politicians to fix our woes. Now that's scary.

So, everyone: belay that e-mail and write a letter to a friend or loved one, order some WDW memorabilia on e-bay and ship via Postal Priority, and get a minimum 3-year subscription to your favorite magazine. My WDW vacation depends on it! :mickey:

Terra
09-29-2011, 10:37 PM
I feel blessed to be able to live 45 minutes from the magic. For us if we lived out of state we'd probably never go [if we made what we are now]. Being in state and Disney now offering a monthly payment plan, makes it all possible!

My husband doesn't go, doesn't like it. So I just have a pass for myself and the boys. We pack our own food when we go mainly. I do occasionally purchase some food [like when I go to the F&W festival tomorrow evening.]

To be honest, we both work and together only gross $33K a year, so living frugally is essential. I love that Disney lets you bring in food, it's a huge help!

DVC2004
09-30-2011, 02:39 PM
We've been able to go in June, and are going back in a few days....but I owe this wholely to our DVC membership. It has allowed us to travel every year even when it's been financially tougher than inthe past. We're really glad we joined and we have used it for a few other non-Disney destinations.

Gregandmel
10-01-2011, 07:56 AM
We cut every corner possible, but it will still take us another 18-24 months to save enough to go back, and that's with pinching every penny I can find. For us, a family of 4, with airfare, moderate resort, base tickets, etc... will run us about $5,000. We have a son in college, my dh changed jobs a year ago and took a pay cut (but he loves it so that' ok), major layoffs at my job and watching our 401(k) tumble like a tumbleweed, we have to be mindful of spending that kind of money. It's not question of IF we go back...just WHEN. Just makes me sad that I can't give my kids a definitive answer quite yet. But somedays thinking of WDW is what keeps me going! :thumbsup:

johnO
10-01-2011, 08:57 AM
DW and I have both taken pay cuts. Salary for here and no more overtime for me. We usually pay for our WDW/DCL trips entirely with money from overtime worked by me. So with that being said, our trip money has vanished. Obviously we'll be back, but it may take awhile.

princessgirls
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
While I feel very blessed to not have been affected by the economic downturn, I always look for the best deal to get to WDW for a full-blown Disney trip with all of the trimmings. I should mention we are a family of 4, 2 adults, one "tween" (adult price), one child.
For this past trip we did 9 night/10 day Pop Century resort stay with 9 day hoppers and Water Park and more option. I also received the Free Dining Promo for booking before 12/20/10.
We went at the end of August, Value Season, so the room was cheaper than at other times of the year.
Magic Express and no rental car.
Disney Visa Reward Dollars saved for 2 years allowed us all tips for meals, alcoholic drinks, and most shopping.
Airfare $211 per person Round Trip, no baggage fees.
Had a great trip at a GOOD price!!
I try try try to make the most of my vacation budget. By this trip coming in at a good price, it allowed us to do another vacation during the summer.

My entire out of pocket expense was about $4,000 for this trip.
Julie:mickey: