PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Our Next WDW TS Server

Goes4FastPass
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Hello,

I realize what is a vacation for us is a job to you and you’re working to pay your bills just like I do.

I realize you have probably been assigned too many tables to take care of and your boss presses you to keep things moving so tables can be cleared and occupied by guests waiting in the lobby.

I realize you’ve been on your feet all day taking care of crying over-tired kids, grouchy grandpas and snobby ladies who don’t seem to like anything.

But please know this,

The meal we’re about to have was booked 6 months ago, was paid for 45 days ago and we’ve looked forward to it for weeks. All day today I’ve kept one eye on my watch and planned our day for us to arrive at this meal at our reservation time.

I hope you know much of this meal depends on you. The great dining experiences we’ve had at Walt Disney World had great servers. When the server does a great job, mediocre food can be remembered as part of a fun meal and a good experience.

I know your work is sometimes hard. I once watched a server at a table near us in Tusker House run herself ragged chasing after a family as they spilled food, stacked plates and kept on a-goin. When they left, their server looked like she had run a marathon. I felt so bad for her that when we left I tipped our server and her.

When our family discussed vacation I led the charge for “back to Disney World” and when it came time to make reservations, I picked this restaurant.

If you’ll be the best you can be today I’ll be a hero and you’ll be well tipped, I promise.

Thanks and have a magical – you know the rest.

-Grandpa

mickey_M_lvr
09-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I have to say this is very well said. I just got back this past weekend and I have to say that there were some meals I left very dissappointed.

You are very honest yet diplomatic.

Kudos to you Grandpa! :clappy::high5:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Great letter, just wondering what prompted it?

brownie
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Well said. It is all about keeping it in perspective.

Hull-onian
09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Well said. It is all about keeping it in perspective.

Ditto :mickey:

Sunshine1010
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I used to be a server for years. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel and what I would think if a customer had handed this to me before the meal began.

I suppose I'd be offended. Why? Because it would make me feel as though I am being grouped in with all the bad servers (and yes, there are many of them). I would also worry that you would think I would be 'kissing butt' throughout the meal.

That being said, I'm now on the other end. I'm a Mom who has to plan these details months in advance...and By Gosh....I want decent service along with a good meal. I mean....let's be honest. Planning a buffet meal 6 months in advance is crazy. But, necessary at WDW.

So what do I think of the letter now that I'm on the other side? I loooove it!!!!

lol....Soooo....I GOT to know....do you plan on truly giving this to the servers? I'd looooove to see their reaction.

LOL

Goes4FastPass
09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
OP here,

What prompted me writing this letter is 'gearing up' for our 180 day ADR opportunity just a few days away.

I would never actually give a server in a restaurant anything like this "open letter" -

What I will do is I try to give the server an enthusiastic, "Hello (nametag) Mary! We've looked forward to being back at 'Ohana and we're hungry and ready get started! To indicate what we're about (And it's true. We're a happy bunch enjoying being together at WDW)

If she responds back, we're rolling... if she looks down at her order pad and asks, "Did someone take your drink order?" I'll still playthe happy grandpa role and we'll do our best.

Can't this be a win - win? I once told a server and the end of the Whispering Canyon meal, "I can't believe I spilled the ketchup!" and he replied, "You're the most fun I've had all week!"

Sunshine1010
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
This should be a training paper for all servers. wink wink

And..for the record...I knew you wouldn't actually give it to a server. But, again...I would have loved to have seen the servers face if you did! lol

Hope your ADR's go smoothly! Good Luck!!!

mydisneygirls
09-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I have to say that we also planned our TS meals and even watched videos on youtube...one in particular The 50's Prime Time Cafe. The girls and I were so excited to go there because of all the things they do to you if you have your elbows on the table, etc. Well, we wont go back there again. In all the time we were there, not ONE skit was done by any of the servers. If there was, it would have overlooked the food which wasn't great. We were very disappointed to say the least.

TheDuckRocks
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Loved your letter!
I'm so glad to hear that we're not the only ones who say "hi" to the server, call them by name and ask about their hometown. Over the years we have come to not only have our favorite rides, parades and restaurants we also have a list of our favorite servers and will ask if they are available when we check-in at the podium. Many happy meals have been shared with these wonderful people.
That said we have also had servers that I truely believe do not get the idea of what a tip is all about. We are very good tippers (ex-waitress here while in college) but I do deductions for poor service. A dollar off for not refilling beverages, a quarter off for every dirty dish on the table when you bring the next course, fifty cents for my having to ask twice or more for something, and for being snarly....oh baby, you have just blown it big time.

Mousemates
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
That being said, I'm now on the other end. I'm a Mom who has to plan these details months in advance...and By Gosh....I want decent service along with a good meal. I mean....let's be honest. Planning a buffet meal 6 months in advance is crazy. But, necessary at WDW.

This, to me, is the most annoying aspect of a WDW vacation...planning where you want to eat 180 days in advance. We actually rebelled and do FAR fewer table service meals (at least ADR ones) at this point. Unless we are doing a big deal meal at a signature restaurant we typically just walk up at an off hour.

DVC2004
09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
This, to me, is the most annoying aspect of a WDW vacation...planning where you want to eat 180 days in advance. We actually rebelled and do FAR fewer table service meals (at least ADR ones) at this point. Unless we are doing a big deal meal at a signature restaurant we typically just walk up at an off hour.

This is annoying to me, too. I don't want to plan 6 months out where I am going to eat, what time and how I need to maneuver my day so as to make it to said place at specified time. No thanks, not fun. And, in recent years, we aren't even booking our trips that far out. We leave in less than 2 weeks and I just booked last week. I have no ressies and I don't even care. I already know I can't get O'Hana, I'll take it as it goes.

At any rate we all appreciate good service. Sometimes you just don't get it. Nowadays I just don't put too much expectation into any service experiences anymore so I am not disappointed. When someone does go out of their way, I appreciate. When they don't, I'm not disappointed since my expectation wasn't there to begin with. Sad but sign of the times.

Goes4FastPass
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
... we typically just walk up at an off hour.
I like this idea and I wish our family could be more spontaneous but small kids dinner at 9:40pm just doesn't work so our compromise is maing far in advance ADRS.

Honestly folks, I love going to WDW and sitting on the pavement on the parade route and seeing it through the eyes of my grandson... but managing that parade time with our dinner ADR and the return time on the FPs in my pocket can sometimes seem like too much and with speculation of new FP systems... yikes.

Please, somehow let me get back to being the grandpa who skips through the MK wearing mouse ears and singing zippedy-doo-dah...so my son rolls his eyes while his son, my grandson, laughs with delight.

DVC2004
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Honestly folks, I love going to WDW and sitting on the pavement on the parade route and seeing it through the eyes of my grandson... but managing that parade time with our dinner ADR and the return time on the FPs in my pocket can sometimes seem like too much and with speculation of new FP systems... yikes.

Totally agree. I remember when we first starting going in 2001 and 2002 you could just walk up and get in, we stayed at the Poly and walked up to O'Hana for dinner twice in that trip. I miss those days...too much work now to "manage" your time. Bring back the fun! I liked it when it was more carefree, I don't want to be a militant planner with every moment of my day planned in advance.:(

Tink#64
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I just have to say WOW! What a great perspective! I know I need to work harder remember to be more diplomatic sometimes & your letter was very inspiring! Well said! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

azcavalier
09-29-2011, 07:54 AM
It actually reminds me of an interview done with Michael Jordan (you can see if it you watch the IMAX film "Jordan to the Max".

In it he says that he would get up for each game by reminding himself that while he played basketball all the time, there was some person that was going to be there that night, just to watch him play...that might never get the chance again, and he felt it was his responsibility to play his best, to be amazing. I love that attitude. His job was entertainment of the fans, and he took it seriously.

Not that servers don't take it seriously, but I wonder how many of them think of it in that way. That each day some family is coming that put a lot of thought, money, and effort into just being at that restaurant, and they are looking for an amazing experience, of which the server is a HUGE part. And some of these people may not ever make it back (or not make it back for a long time).

MizMissy
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Totally agree. I remember when we first starting going in 2001 and 2002 you could just walk up and get in, we stayed at the Poly and walked up to O'Hana for dinner twice in that trip. I miss those days...too much work now to "manage" your time. Bring back the fun! I liked it when it was more carefree, I don't want to be a militant planner with every moment of my day planned in advance.:(

Agree. But, mostly, I feel bad for families who decide to take their family vacation to WDW and do not realize all of the planning that goes into the event and, as a result of little to no planning, they have a terrible trip .... I realize if everyone loved Disney as much as the people on this board, it would be even more crowded than it is, but I still hate when someone has a bad trip that could have been a great trip if they had known about the required planning.

It really is difficult to explain to people how much planning ahead is required. They usually look at me like I'm crazy (although I do admit I am crazy about WDW).

azcavalier
09-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Agree. But, mostly, I feel bad for families who decide to take their family vacation to WDW and do not realize all of the planning that goes into the event and, as a result of little to no planning, they have a terrible trip .... I realize if everyone loved Disney as much as the people on this board, it would be even more crowded than it is, but I still hate when someone has a bad trip that could have been a great trip if they had known about the required planning.

It really is difficult to explain to people how much planning ahead is required. They usually look at me like I'm crazy (although I do admit I am crazy about WDW).

Absolutely. We have some friends that are going down for the first time in about a week, and I told the wife to call us so we could explain to her things she needed to know (this was about two months ago). It took a while, but she finally contacted me. I explained all about staying on-site vs. off-site, but especially about how to eat at WDW. I don't think she believed me when I said that you pretty much have to book reservations for any sit-down restaurant, and usually have to have them booked six months in advance. I think that they're going to wind up eating counter service the entire time they're there. I hope they like that!

Katzateer
09-29-2011, 09:53 AM
LOVE the letter!:thumbsup:

A lot of the charm of WDW dining is the performing arts aspect of the servers. A lot of guests are on a once on a lifetime trip and the experience should be as special as the ads promote the dining.

When we went to Disneyland years ago and WDW in the earlier years, EVERY employee was part of the cast and took their jobs seriously.

Now it is just a job for a lot of the employees and evidentially management.

January-2007
09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Having a positive attitude is everything, hope you have a great trip.

WDW&MK
09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Love your letter. You know, I book our ADR's at the crack of dawn on what is known in our house as "ADR day". I've even taken an hour off of work to do so before the internet days. It is just DH and myself (no kids). We have booked WCC and 50's Prime Time and I get soo annoyed that because it is just 2 adults we get basically overlooked. We have stopped going to Prime time because it is really not as much fun to watch bigger parties get servers that joke around and we just really get the minimum service. We're still going to WCC because DH loves it and is content to watch the ketchup gag with other groups, but I'd pick someplace else if it were up to me. I'd love to let the servers know ahead of time that we're awesome tippers (we don't look like it - but we are) and if we'd have an outstanding server at those places we'd tip even better and come back. Such a disappointment when you look forward to it for 6 mos or more.....and I know I'm all grown up - but big kids like disney magic too :blush: