PDA

View Full Version : New Space Mountain

thrillme
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
I've been away for a while but is the Space Mountain refurb complete at DisneyWorld?

It was nice at DisneyLand.

Melanie
09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I've been away for a while but is the Space Mountain refurb complete at DisneyWorld?

It was nice at DisneyLand.

It's complete and has been for awhile. It's definitely better than before, but nothing close to the Disneyland version. :unsure: They did add a soundtrack a while back, although it's throughout the building or zones, not onboard like in Disneyland.

Hog
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
The interactive games in line were really fun. We all enjoyed playing them even my parents who are in their late 50s.

Kairi_7378
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I've never been to DL but I enjoyed the smoother ride at WDW this time around.

faline
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree with Mel - it's nothing like Disneyland. I was excited when I heard they were going to refurbish it and was hoping for a refurb that would bring it up to par with Disneyland. Once on Space Mountain per trip and I'm done. The last time I went to Disneyland, I found myself suggesting we go on again - it was so smooth and wonderful!

Kaps
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Done but not a big thrill :(

RBrooksC
09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I did like that Space Mountain was extra dark now. I mean, it is the same ride as it was. To be honest, if there was music, I cannot remember hearing it.

But it seems like a new ride to me since I could see nothing as I rode.

I previously could see the tracks and get some idea of what was coming ahead of me.

The only thing I didn't like is it did give me more of a motion sick headache than it used to give me.

Ian
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Done, but nowhere near as good as Disneyland's. Disappointing really.

mydisneygirls
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Just wondering, what's the difference between the ride at DW as opposed to DL.

linedropper
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Like the way it is now! Never been to disneyland

Mousemates
09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes, it was done...but more along the lines of a standard refurb than the major overhaul many of us had hoped for....on the plus side its definitely not as jerky as it used to be. however, it still lacks the inboard synchronized soundtrack that adds so much to the DL version.

brownie
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I've never been to DL but I enjoyed the smoother ride at WDW this time around.

:ditto:

It was noticeably smoother when we went at the end of last year compared to our last previous trip, which was in fall 2004.

Main Street Jim
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Just wondering, what's the difference between the ride at DW as opposed to DL.Disneyland's is side-by-side seating on a single track. WDW's is inline seating with dual, mirror-image tracks (Alpha and Omega, or as we knew 'em, A-side and B-side).

The attraction was shut down in early 2009, and re-opened November 22, 2009.

As a Cast Member during the refurb in Florida, I can tell you:

NO TRACK WAS REPLACED.

The rockets were widened a bit for "plus-size" (if you're a bit on the large size, request seat #3 or seat #6 :thumbsup: )

The ride area was darkened up with some extra curtains to keep out ambient light from the load/unload areas.

The on-ride photo system was added (and I'll tell ya where the camera is if ya wanna know ;) ).

Later on the following summer, the audio was updated with a new soundtrack. It's NOT on-board audio like Disneyland's or RnRC; the WDW music is played throughout the attraction's audio system.

The video games were added in the queue.

The queue was entirely redone and re-routed.

New graphics and a new name: StarPort Seven-Five.

The "glow-in-the-dark" stripes were removed from the rockets to cut down on the light in the ride area.

That's pretty much it ;)

Melanie
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Just wondering, what's the difference between the ride at DW as opposed to DL.

It's a totally different ride! It's hard to even explain how much better it is at Disneyland (and the same version is at Hong Kong Disneyland, as well).

When you enter the SM building at Disneyland, you are on an elevated queue ramp around the outside walls, which allows you to look down on the loading process. That's an experience in itself, and gets you hyped up. You are loaded into the side by side seat vehicles (which were all replaced during the overhaul). The soundtrack starts and the countdown begins and then you are launched onto a track that is smooth as smooth gets. :thumbsup:

I don't have to ride Space Mt. every time I go to WDW. I have to ride Space Mt. every time I go to Disneyland.

seanyred
09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Disneyland's is side-by-side seating on a single track. WDW's is inline seating with dual, mirror-image tracks (Alpha and Omega, or as we knew 'em, A-side and B-side).

The attraction was shut down in early 2009, and re-opened November 22, 2009.

As a Cast Member during the refurb in Florida, I can tell you:

NO TRACK WAS REPLACED.

The rockets were widened a bit for "plus-size" (if you're a bit on the large size, request seat #3 or seat #6 :thumbsup: )

The ride area was darkened up with some extra curtains to keep out ambient light from the load/unload areas.

The on-ride photo system was added (and I'll tell ya where the camera is if ya wanna know ;) ).

Later on the following summer, the audio was updated with a new soundtrack. It's NOT on-board audio like Disneyland's or RnRC; the WDW music is played throughout the attraction's audio system.

The video games were added in the queue.

The queue was entirely redone and re-routed.

New graphics and a new name: StarPort Seven-Five.

The "glow-in-the-dark" stripes were removed from the rockets to cut down on the light in the ride area.

That's pretty much it ;)

I did feel the ride was smother. I'm assuming all they did was re-work some rough area's on the track and put on better wheels? As for the picture I would like to know where the camera is located. I assumed it was in the first tunnel right before going up up the hill.

As for comparing the two rides DL has better sound system and a smother ride. But I feel the DL version is way too predictable (if I remember right its just a bunch of right turns). Plus I'm one of the few that enjoys the rougher ride at WDW. As far as I'm concerned both version's are a must do on any trip.

Main Street Jim
09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
NOTHING was done to the WDW track itself, other than routine inspections for cracks and the like.

The ride *may* seem a bit smoother because the wheels on the new rockets haven't properly worn in yet ;) A-side (Alpha) is still rougher than B-side (Omega) :thumbsup:

Ryan Towle
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
IMO, the WDW track (which has stayed the same since 1974) is far superior to DL's version. Here it is with the work lights on. :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/HvnvWNQTg3w

Butters
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I was very disappointed with the refurb... The new queues are nice, but doesn't add to the ride itself... So basically they added speakers and some curtains :(

mydisneygirls
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Main Street Jim is right, one side is definitely different than the other. I think the one to the left was a lot smoother and I don't think as many drops.

Main Street Jim
09-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Main Street Jim is right, one side is definitely different than the other. I think the one to the left was a lot smoother and I don't think as many drops.They're *identical* mirror images of each other: same drops, same corners (just in opposite directions). A-side (if I remember...LOL...) is about ten feet longer to accommodate crossing over B-side.

Ryan Towle
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
MainStreetJim is right. They both have the same number of turns, drops, etc.. but one track is about 10 feet longer than the other.

thrillme
09-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Well I'm glad it's smoother. A but I was rather hoping it was going to be DisneyLand version. I'm not a "huge" fan of DisneyLand compared to DisneyWORLD but the Space Mountain there did have quite a WOW factor.

seanyred
09-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Well I'm glad it's smoother. A but I was rather hoping it was going to be DisneyLand version. I'm not a "huge" fan of DisneyLand compared to DisneyWORLD but the Space Mountain there did have quite a WOW factor.

smoother is a relative term. Don't expect it be smooth like Everest, its just smoother than it used to be. Call me crazy but I always found the left side more enjoyable than the right even if they are mirror images.

2Epcot
09-30-2011, 09:06 PM
IMO, the WDW track (which has stayed the same since 1974) is far superior to DL's version. Here it is with the work lights on. :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/HvnvWNQTg3w

A track that's been in operation since 1974 is far superior than a practically brand new track? Have you been on the Disneyland version?

Melanie
09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
A track that's been in operation since 1974 is far superior than a practically brand new track? Have you been on the Disneyland version?

Yeah, not to put down anyone's opinion, and I don't find it hard to believe there are those who prefer the WDW version, but to call it 'far superior' to Disneyland's is very surprising.

Ryan Towle, are you saying the track layout is superior, or the overall ride?

seanyred
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, not to put down anyone's opinion, and I don't find it hard to believe there are those who prefer the WDW version, but to call it 'far superior' to Disneyland's is very surprising.

Ryan Towle, are you saying the track layout is superior, or the overall ride?

I'm guessing its track layout. The layout of SM in DL is very boring, if the effects were not fantastic it would be a ok coaster. Where I think the WDW layout is much more exciting and fun.

Zawadi
10-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Which Space Mountain? A tough question!

WDW's version is tough on my back.

Our favourite has to be the 1995 version at Disneyland Paris. DLP's "Space Mountain - Mission 2" is a more traditional 'coaster with full bucket seats and an overhead restraining system (like RnRC) a smooth track and full inversion loops.

Ryan Towle
10-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing its track layout. The layout of SM in DL is very boring, if the effects were not fantastic it would be a ok coaster. Where I think the WDW layout is much more exciting and fun.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been on both WDW's and DL's and I have to say DL's track was quite boring. But again, this is still just my opinion