PDA

View Full Version : thank you card etiquette

disneymom15
09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
My mother passed away recently, What's the proper etiquette for sending thank you cards? Do we send to everyone who gave a card or is it ok to just send to those who gave money or gifts?

Basket Mommy
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I only have secondhand experience through my mom losing her parents. She sent notes to the people who sent flowers or food. I would send them for cards as well, just to let the people know their thoughtfulness was appreciated.

princessgirls
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you cards to all those who brought food, sent flowers, made donations, and who helped in various ways through this hard time.

You don't need to send a card to everyone who sent a sympathy card.

In our church, members often will put a bulletin announcement in such as:
The family of ________ truly appreciates all of the calls and cards they received.

Julie:mickey:

Hammer
09-26-2011, 01:54 PM
When my father passed away last year, we sent out thank you notes to people who sent us gifts, made a contribution to the American Cancer Society or USF School of Engineering (which we designated in the obiturary in lieu of flowers) or sent a Mass card, paying to have a Mass said for my Dad. We did not send a thank you note if they sent a sympathy card only.

As my mother is still alive, she wanted to send out all of the thank you notes, even if it the Mass card or donation receipt was sent to me or my sister. She just wanted to express her thankfulness to our friends and co-workers for being there for us.

Edited to add- for a couple of family members who were really helpful to us- coordinating the funeral Mass, helping with the legal stuff (transfer of stock holdings, etc.) my Mom gave these people a gift card to Bern's Steak house at Christmas. She took my sister and I there for dinner when we arrived for Christmas holiday.